Predator 1 ship work in progress ;)

Faken

Hunter
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a very rare Predator 1 ship (there's only 5 castings that exist of this) and I REALLY had to convince myself to work on this because it's a friggin disaster of a casting. There's just massive seams, ridiculous spots for spru and sockets that just didn't fit... you can see this thing is just covered in bondo (red) and grey (aves). I've been slowly filling and sanding this thing for 2 weeks now and I also had to resculpt the entire bottom rudder as the original was warped and broken up pretty badly.

So here's pretty much the only footage you see of this ship from Predator 1:

And this is a comic book version of a similar ship... I liked this pic because it had a better reference for that bottom rudder I had to resculpt:

So here's the ship after tonight's work:

Here the broken rudder piece next to the new one I sculpted... the old one was all chewd up and if you look at it from the side, it's all warped and cracked:

The new rudder piece I sculpted:

Part of tonight's work was to finally pin the engines on and fill the massive gaps between the engines and sides of the body. What was really stupid is that both sides of the engines have this carved out shape that the sides of the body should fit in to... too bad the shape and size is completely wrong and doesn't fit. So the inside grooves were filled and sanded smooth.

Once the aves around the engines cures and I do some more sanding, I'll glue the rudder on...

And here's the workshop after a long night's work... Also got my first set of freestyle lifetones today, which you can see scattered all over my desk lol! I guess I'll get up early and clean up all the dust and put the stuff away.

So that's it... next pics will be a primed and ready to go P1 ship! B)

Thanks for looking

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

DangerDavey

Hunter
B) Be sure to post up pics of your finished kit so that we can go "ooooh" and "ahhhh" as it shoots across the horizon.

~DD

kithunter

Elite Hunter
It's a great and super hard to get a hold of kit,

killer job so far dan...keeping an eye on your progress

Andrew

carlart

Hunter
That IS a shweet, shweet, thing! Dan, is that the Testor's red putty you're using? It's the cat's ass. Trouble is, they don't make it anymore. I've been using the Tamiya gray stuff lately, comes in different consistencies.

I've got an idea for a little project for some enterprizing individual here on the Lair. Once Dan is finished with the ship, he could shoot it with his camera from a variety of angles and hand those off to someone adept with 3D software. Even though I use a program called FormZ everyday, I don't consider myself a pro. Anyway, someone with good 3D skills could recreate the P1 ship in 3D for the express purpose of producing it as a kit.

The ship could be scaled up a bit and the drawing converted to a CAD-compatible file which is then handed off to someone who knows how to use a computer driven C&C router. The parts are then cut from some material like bondo board, sprues are added, and it's molding time!

What say you?

carlart

p.s. here's a photo of a toy someone on the Lair posted approx. a year ago:
Pred-Ship.jpg

The pink toy kinda looks like a pig squatting for a dump, don't it?

kithunter

Elite Hunter
that somone would be me...lol

I picked up the micro machines P1 set with the ship.

Scott(mortal) and i discussed doing what you mentioned carl , but it fizzled out and we never followed up on it.

I think it would be a great idea to scan it and make a studio scale version of the ship. kinda like a hunter lair exclusive piece...ehhh? ehh?

Formz?...uggghhhh that's like the MS paint of 3D apps...

just kidding i use it for file conversion to lightwave and maya

i guess it would be on dan to loan out the ship to have it digitzed or cyberscaned

AM

if either of you talented guys decided it was time to make up a predator 1 ship kit,............i for one would be your biggest fan..........!!!
(a lil larger kit size,as you mention dudes,.)
brilliant idea..........

BENSIN

Hunter
Hey...Faken....nice bike... B) I bet you're the coolest guy on the block riding that hog. :)

Oh yea, and that Predator ship is pretty damn cool too.

Faken

Hunter
Hey...Faken....nice bike... B) I bet you're the coolest guy on the block riding that hog. :)
Oh yea, and that Predator ship is pretty damn cool too.
Seriously man.. I have the beat the ladies back when I cruise thru town.

roundhammer

Hunter
Can you tell us more about this kit?
When was it made?
Who made it?
Is it cast off a screen used piece or a fan creation?

This is too cool!

Faken

Hunter
To Roundhammer - I actually know jack about this kit other than it was a fan sculpted piece and there are 5 copies of it ever made before the mold cracked. Other than that, I have no clue lol!

I actually finished this guy off ages ago and never posted... it's officially my second kit I've built and was really a HUGE learning experience for heavy duty cleanup and seam repairs, with a little bit of resculpting thrown in for good measure. here's the finished piece:

There are a couple of errors in the paint application that bothered me, but after spending SOOOOoooo much time re-building this thing, I just wanted it done and out of my face lol! So there you have it, kit #2.

Thanks for looking

Dan

Last edited by a moderator: