Predator 3D Blu-Ray Disc Limited Edition

I've yet to watch it in 3D but from a few reviews I've read this transfer is technically better than the previous bluray release.  It was easy to shell out the fifteen bucks when it cames with the 3D, 2D, and DVD version of the flick.  3D is in fact the same gimmick it was fifty plus years ago and I've gotten to where I refuse to see them in the theater.  However, for an extra fiver per bluray I think it's a pretty cool experience for home viewing.  My two cents anyway.

predatoj

Blooded
A Hunter's Moon said:
I've yet to watch it in 3D but from a few reviews I've read this transfer is technically better than the previous bluray release.  It was easy to shell out the fifteen bucks when it cames with the 3D, 2D, and DVD version of the flick.  3D is in fact the same gimmick it was fifty plus years ago and I've gotten to where I refuse to see them in the theater.  However, for an extra fiver per bluray I think it's a pretty cool experience for home viewing.  My two cents anyway.
It is the same gimmick it was 50 years ago, the only difference is they don't require a camera or projector the size of a house anymore.

Well said Rob! Im getting tired of these CG movies that dont feel or look real anymore. Im right there with you on the recent "predators " and film direction.

predatoj

Blooded
Ok, watched it tonight. I'm giving my review based on the fact that it's a 3D transfer and I'm biased toward fans of 3D - and I haven't seen the previous Blu ray transfer. My thought's are thus:

I've seen worse 3D films made in recent years ( you know the ones, a fuzzy picture, then you put on your glasses and it's 2D!)

There's no getting away from the fact that Predator is approaching 30. Like any HD tranfer it's the old film stock of the time that gives it up.

They have achieved a surprisingly good depth of field, but don't expect sticky-out branches and leaves like the forests in Avatar. Like any 3D transfer it occasionally suffers from cardboard-cut-out syndrome but decent particle effects from explosions etc look cool. The assault on the guerrilla camp is especially good.

I'd say my biggest criticism would be that the grading of shot's are inconsistent from scene to scene. The actors skin tones (Schwarzenegger and weathers) look really waxy in some shots, no doubt due to cleaning up the grain of the film stock. In other shots though they look great, they never looked so sweaty, every bead of sweat visible. Other shots are blurry or the color doesn't match. This inconsistency remains throughout the film but is due to age in my opinion rather than a bad transfer, The exit from the chopper in the beginning looks particularly bad.

Overall a good transfer, this is the best this film will ever look. It is by and large 3D!  If I take myself back to 1987 and pretend I'm watching it for the first time (which is what I did) it was a very refreshing watch! Given the fact I've seen this film many many times over the years, I didn't get bored once, each scene felt 'new'.

I give it 7/10.

PS I'm rambling as I'm half cut on Gentleman Jack o_O