Predator books (& creature design galore)

greyback

Blooded
I've always been on the lookout for books that feature my favourite movie monster, sadly it's often a real 'hunt' to find quality printed books about it in the first place.
The 'Winston Effect' is probably the best book out there. In addition there's 'Behind the Mask' (also by Titan books), first printed August 1994. It covers all movie monsters , the predator gets about 2 to 3 pages of coverage.
And of course "AVP: the creatures of ADI", a book completely devoted to the special effects suits created for the first AVP movie.
Was wondering is there any other stuff out there- published material that focusses on the movies? (not the comics )

behind_the_mask.jpg

avp.jpg

greyback

Blooded
Updating my humble little thread ^^
Ran into a few more books worth checking out. All are creature related, not just predator. I didn't want to damage them scanning the pages so I took a digital photos.

First up the most important one; Stan Winston's 'Winston Effect'
Everyone knows this one so I'm just including it to keep my collection complete.

P1050190.jpg

P1050192.jpg

P1050193.jpg

P1050194.jpg

P1050195.jpg

Up next, a great little book I found with lot's of unseen art in it (both concept and sculpting). The cover makes the book actually kinda unnoticed. It doesn't really stand out at all, but the inside pages are a real threat. A definitive 'must buy' for anyone interested in movie creature design.

'Designing movie creatures and characters' by Richard Rickitt
Published by RotoVision

P1050168.jpg

P1050169.jpg

P1050170.jpg

P1050171.jpg

P1050172.jpg

Next one;
'Crystal Lake Memories' by Peter M. Bracke

This brand new hardcover book (published by Titan - same publisher as 'the Winston Effect') is the ultimate book on the Friday the 13th franchise. It has over 600 photos, many from behind the scenes, and is filled with interviews and little stories from the people who worked on the movies. Not really that much creature stuff but hey, it's a guy in a hockeymask. It covers all 10 movies and the Freddy VS Jason flick. For the Jason fans out there and anyone who likes the '80 slasher stuff, another worthy purchase!

P1050163.jpg

P1050164.jpg

P1050165.jpg

P1050166.jpg

Next: 'ILM: the art of Special effects' by Thomas G. Smith
published by Virgin Nov 1996

Excellent book on special effects, creature design is ony a small part of it.
It covers alot of pre-computerised movies and the lenghty process of optical printing to achieve certain effects. These people were creative geniusses.

P1050198.jpg

P1050199.jpg

P1050200.jpg

P1050201.jpg

P1050202.jpg

P1050203.jpg

And finally: 'No Strings attached: the inside story of Jim Henson's Creature Shop ' by Matt Bacon
Published by Virgin 1997 Hardcover

A real gem, this one. Covers everything from the cult movies classics like Dark Crystal to infamous commercials they did to keep the studio afloat.

P1050204.jpg

P1050205.jpg

P1050206.jpg

P1050207.jpg

P1050209.jpg

That's it for now, I hope these will help and inspire some of the people on this board. :unsure:

All great books, only one i don't have is the designing creatures one, i'll have to pick that one up now
Anyone know if there redoing the AVP one to include the new movie?

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
Own them myself, as well as being top quality reading material, its great to see things we know and love in different stages of completion.

Could someone shed some light on the pic showing the Creature from the black lagoon lifting a crate that says "Frankenstein?" It looks very interesteing. I want to know what movie it came form.