Problem With Accuracy

Nador

Young Blood
Hey Hunters, Few weeks ago I started my AVP armor and got few problems while building it ; The accuracy.

I'm a perfectionnist, which is a big problem for me sometimes when I'm building props and stuff, Example : When building the chest, I looked at some ref. Pictures and noticed that the back of the armor is '' longer '' than the front ( sternum/chest )

so I want to know if you guys had similar problems and how you solved it... I'd like tips, advices, anything ! your opinions, every comment are welcome :)

Should I start over, continue the piece and modify some pieces, just leave it that way... ?

lflank

Hunter
Screw accuracy.  :)

Seriously. Each Pred is an individual with his (or her) own style and taste.

And anyway, I always cared much more for skill and artisanship rather than screen accuracy.  I never understood the whole obsession with minutely copying something somebody else has already done.

So make what YOU like.

Giles

Blooded
Hey Nador, while Lflank is right about each being pred an individual, each Lair member's journey is a labour of love, patients and frustration so striving for accuarcy is your journey. Sonic is right, what we love more than anything else is photos. Stick up progress shots and don't look back, they not only help us give you feedback but you see much more yourself in a photo than looking at the clay/pep/sculpey you are using.

Spats

Blooded
Screw accuracy.  :)

Seriously. Each Pred is an individual with his (or her) own style and taste.

And anyway, I always cared much more for skill and artisanship rather than screen accuracy.  I never understood the whole obsession with minutely copying something somebody else has already done.

So make what YOU like.
To pay homage to the original piece of work, and honor the character as portrayed by the artist. That's why so many people strive for accuracy.

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
Doing the best you can do is more important, soooooooooooo many people push out crap , and i am sure 95% could do much better, but they just rush.

there is nothing wrong with trying to replicate something, but unless you actually have the item to hand for visual reference you will not get it accurate, so get to a point where you think its good and you are happy, then tweak it to your style.

just do not rush like some, my god some stuff makes me cringe

Nador

Young Blood
Thank you so much guys, that help me with my perfectionnism, it makes me sick sometimes ! I'm glad to read advices from experienced Hunters, that help me a lot, thank you :)

And I will post pictures for sure, once I get my duct dummy :)

Robillicus

Hunter
The thing about "accuracy" is, is that it's actually the hardest means to pull of. Regardless of your experience level, you're trying to duplicate the work of someone who's got years of experience. Most of the time you're trying to copy something from a photo or a screen cap, and that only adds to the challenge. Plus, it's hard to find good reference from every perspective possible. Screen accuracy is a real challenge - so get as much reference as you can. The more the better. However, pick which images you like the most. I've noticed that with varying images of the same piece or whatever, the subject can look different in each one. So, stick to what you think are the most accurate images. 

Me personally, I am striving for screen accuracy with my Hippie suit. Now, I'm aware of the challenges ahead, and I plan to take my time during its construction. Time is something you should always allow yourself. This isn't Hollywood, and there's no one standing over you rushing your work. Unless you've got experience working in the FX Industry, and can put out awesome work with no time; chances are your suit will not measure up to what you've envisioned .. and look like you just threw it together. Which I've seen countless times over the years. 

Custom designs come easily for me. You've got the basic rules and forms, but there's no limit to what is possible with a custom creation. One of my faults as an "artist,": is that if I can't figure something out, I will break away from my original plan and rush right into customization. This is something I've got to work on, and discipline myself. For example - the P2 stunt mask. The temple area's do not match each other. Now, is this something I put into my own sculpt, or do I pick which side I like most and go from there? Was there a reason for it, or was it just a lack of time? The Hero headpiece has more symmetry - from more time given, I'd imagine? Anyway, these are just the questions that bounce around in my head. Obviously, you're going to have to use some imagination because there's not going to be a detailed schematic laid out for you. 

Good luck with your suit-build!! 

:D 

eaglewood

Hunter
Sometimes by trying for that "accuracy" you can shoot yourself in the foot. I understand the quest for it, but instead of trying to make it exactly like someone elses, why not embrace it and make it your own as BONZRUS has done with his Bio build-- Simply stunning and a work of art in its own right. Im sure that eventually someone will try to copy and replicate HIS work. Now that is what I would strive for in my pieces--  Dont ride on the coattails of someone else so to speak--- blaze your own trail.