Professional opinion needed for budget noob!

X

xCLINTx 22

Firstly thanks for clicking on this thread.
I spent most of the past two days going through the threads and apologise if this has been asked before but Im sure it hasn't.
I plan on creating a pred for halloween and am going to be on a budget. I know it isn't ideal but I gotta work with what I got and this means making a tough chioce.
Whats the best head I can make for aroung £60?
I'm stuck between getting the rubies mask/bio and having to make alot of mods or going for a decent looking bio (probably from mysteria models) an not bothering (being able to afford) with a mask.
I've seen good results with both but still can't make my tiny little mind up!
Thanks again for taking time to read my rambling. I appreciate any advice/comment/input.

M

MoviesColin

Have you seen Predator: Dark Jungle? Cory made his out of paper mache, foam (carpet foam and upholstry), and cloth. The mandibles opened by strings he tied to his fingers. His armor was made of spare cardboard, and the bodysuit was a sweatsuit that he spray painted.

homepage.mac.com/cbauer/darkjungle/

I learned a lot of things from Cory on budget suit building. In fact, I learned a lot of general things from him. He's a great guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xCLINTx 22

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunatly I don't really have the time and possibly not the skill to make the head myself. Im confident with the body and armour (gauntlets may prove a twat!) but the head, at the moment, is a toss up between the two options I stated earlyer.
Along with getting my costume ready I also have to help with my girlfriend's, build a minigun for a friend, have commitmnets to my new job and move house! It is goning to be tricky to find time but I have this weekend to make some important decisions before things get stressful.
Thanks again!!!

T

The Big Gunns

Well if you buy the bio.. you will still have to worry about an under mask. You could build an under mask , but that takes time. You also have to buy dreads.. backer rod are the cheapiest. If you buy an undermask thatwill cost more money and you still have to get the dreads.

Unfortunately with this and any other hobby.. you have to have time or money. If you dont have the money to buy things.. you have to have the time to make them yourself.
~Mel

X

xCLINTx 22

I should be fine with the dreads thanks. My dilema is that I don't know if I should go for the half assed rubies mask/bio or just go for a decent bio and cope without a mask. If I get the decent bio then I gotta be comfortable sacrificing the mask for the time being. But then I'm basically a human in pred gear.
So....... does a decent bio out weigh a turd bio/mask?
I just can't do it!! arrrgh!

C

Chancelor22

You can wear just a bio and look perfectly fine. You should check out Shockwolf's tutorial. It has a lot of great ideas for the budget pred suit. If not for him, I prolly wouldn't have considered building my suit.

Finished it didn't look half bad!

Btw, pics will be here soon.

X

xCLINTx 22

Yeah his suit is my reasonimg behind possibly sacrificing the mask. What he achieved on that budget is very impressive and its one of the costumes that inspired me to take the project on. Where did you get your bio?

P

pirkleations

I say definitely go with a Bio and dreds for now.
Women love a "mystery-hunter"!!

And you could make faces at people without them even knowing!!

DangerDavey

B

BurntKona

When I was putting my cheapy suit together last year, I went with just the bio route. Mounted on a rugby helmet, with the back filled out with makeshift dreads.

I would go with getting a decent bio.

C

Chancelor22

I made my bio out of paper mache. I made most of my stuff. The bio, and gauntlets are paper mache. The rest of my armor is foamies. I bought backer rod for the dreads and fishnet on ebay. The rest of the stuff I had laying around.

Pics soon...

X

xCLINTx 22

Thanks guys thats helped me! looks like a decent bio for me then. Im prob gnna get one from mysteria models unless anyone has a better suggestion???

S

Shataan

Well, how bout a budget oppinion from a professional nOOb? lol