progress of p1 suit

T

ta2pro

this is the start,and i do mean start(whew),of a db P1 suit.i really wanted resin/fiberglass armor,but could'nt find anyone on here to assist in doing so.so i jumped at the first chance to getting a pred suit and now will have to do w/what i purchased.i am starting by cutting off all armor to make seperate/wearable pieces.this not only takes away the flimsy illusive look of being a "rubber suit" when in certain motion ranges.i backed the armor(just the pieces i received so far-sigh)w/slight expanding foam.dremmeled down to form fitted my frame.used 3m extra strength bonding glue w/foam sheets in craft section 4 kids(cool stuff),then siliconed gaps then painted.this armor in basically indestructable.i bounced it of the wall/floors a few times to see if it would resist damage and keep shape.it does.then put alclaad chrome/weathered paint on.it will be strategically placed on non painted parts of suit using industrial velcro.will up date every few days.hmmm..guess this is kinda sounding like a blog?oh well.hope this approach helps others w/thier suits.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Mortal Immortal

DSC01806.jpg

DSC01804.jpg

DSC01803.jpg

I thoughtI would help you out with the picture posting. Where did you get those beautys?

T

ta2pro

hi scott.they r from a daniel bravo suit.i cut them off to make them more realistic.i'm stoked to do the rest.just waiting on pros-aide to start paintjob.um...along w/the ft,dreads,rest of armor,cloth.have i left anything out,lol?

Y

yautja clone

Congrats on getting a suit Joe. I know how passionate you were about having resin armor, but re-enforcing the latex pieces will work just as well. Besides, after wearing your completed suit for a short time, you'll appreciate the fact that latex is a bit lighter than resin would be.

I'LL give ya one tip. If the suit is 2 piece,,, split the upper torso and install a heavy duty zipper in the back. You will be able to get the top on and off easier...Trust Me !

Keep us posted, I wanna see this baby completed.

T

ta2pro

ty ron.i do plan to do a zipper w/a draw string to pull up and tuck in suit.

P

ptgreek

Wait...you cut the armor off of the body suit? Am I understanding that correctly?

looks cool!

T

The Mortal Immortal

You got the right idea. I know what you have planed for your new suit.

T

ta2pro

yep.cut all of it up.i don't want it to look like a rubber suit.i cut the arms to fit me.the legs fit great.i plan to install fans inside mask also.gonna hook an ipod,or some mp3 device,to cannon,or face(near the dreads),and loop his growls/snarls,lol!thanks for following w/my idea.if it does'nt sound right,i'd appreciate anyones input.i made a hellraiser costume yrs(7) which included lots of latex experience so i got a plan for seaming up the pieces on the suit.

I

inkdoctor

i have the same flash rack in the tattoo studio i work at. awsome job on the armor i was gonna have db send me some of his pred 1 armor but i would have to do the same thing pay for the suit and cut it off, and i allready have a suit. great idea backing it with foam. i dont think you would want resin as far as the predator 1 armor wouldnt allow for enough movement. im finding some of the guys now are casting it in urethane rubber it makes it firm like resin but still has some give to it like the latex. i may just buy some more latex armor for my new suit and back it with foam like you did. looking good.

T

ta2pro

i'll post pics of the backs of them to show how smooth and comfortable they r.using spandex(?)band to strap them on my arm,but using weathered faux leather to go on outside of strap to give real "strapped" appearance.resin is not heavy to me.i workout regularly.plus if casted right(rotocast),they would be 1/8 th thick and be durable.i people on here r using latex/rubber alot,but am finding r not condoning to the resin/fiberglass aspect.will outlast latex/rubber.that's the only thing to this suit-it will deteriorate in due time.resin fiberglass is forever.ever see a 69 corvette fall apart?but i can show you latex suits that go bad in a matter of 5 yrs or less.these suits(once made)have to be sealed and put in a cool storage and fluffed w/babypowder never to be touched again.the oils in our skin breakdown latex(this coming from being a tattoo artist).now if people could cast in nitrile(tooooooo expensive)-then that'd be something revolutionary,lol.durable,waaaaaay less of breakdown.ex"latex,when exposed to our chemicals in our skin,breaksdown every 15 mins.that is a medical fact.sometimes i wish i could sculpt/cast just to do it right.

T

The Big Gunns

I like your progress so far..

I personally only want to wear my suits 1 or 2 times. I plan to make a new one every year (different theme). Once I have some nice pics of my suit I have it forever. Just my 2 cents

~Mel

S

Shataan

Yup, 2 or 3 times tops. Then put mine on a dummy for display. Start on a new one.

T

ta2pro

the new suit sounds great 2 me,but @ $1200 a pop it WOULD be once a yr.you got it good mel.you do most of your own suits.i had the knowledge and time,i'd be right beside ya' casting an' painting!once or twice will be the most i wear it.

T

The Big Gunns

I guess it all depends on how the suit is made or bought. My new suit is very involved and cost more. I sculpted all the armor this time and made molds for everything. The shield and sword alone cost around $300. But once you make one you'll want to do another and another... its like and itch you can't scratch

T

ta2pro

i might keep this till dragon con next yr,sell it,then immediately get db's new celtic pred.

T

The Big Gunns

Uh oh.. you've already got the itch and you haven't finished the first one yet

T

ta2pro

ok.here is revamp of the armor after i looked at sideshow maquette,so disregaued the old pics.wanted a more "alluminum" look,so took a different approach.the cannon power pack,as u can c,is completely filled and backed w/fun foam.sturdy and lightweight,it is comfortable to wear.yes,i know it is bumpy,but i loked at that as a chance to make it beat up/battle damaged and it woks fine.the hands are basically done(a button i forgot to nail,lol).the mask is basically done(need to "vein" out the mouth,add quills,and dreads.i'm happy w/results so far.this is a fun project 4 me.i also got 1 of the arms attatched to suit,velcro attatched,legs velcroed(back),but friends never showed 2day to help w/other arm(bummer).this was all done over the wkend in 2 1/2 days.i'm working as quick and efficent as i can to c how little hrs i can do this,but have fun and look professional.the painting is the cake thing,it's just assembly rquired is the pain,lol.i59.photobucket.com/album...C01832.jpg

P

ptgreek

ARRRGHH! too much build up and no working picture link....you're killing me! The suit sounds cool, cant wait to see it

T

The Mortal Immortal

I see you can knock out a suit, But you still need to read the instructions on how to post a picture. HEHE
DSC01812.jpg

DSC01819.jpg

DSC01824.jpg

DSC01825.jpg

DSC01826.jpg

DSC01827.jpg

DSC01828.jpg

DSC01829.jpg

DSC01830.jpg

DSC01831.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

T

The Mortal Immortal

You are doing a sweet job on that suit. I think its a winner.