Question about Latex

DangerDavey

Hunter
Life expetency of a latex costume part is always hard to pin down.

I'd pretty much guess a well-maintained suit could last about 5-10 years. Keeping the suit in a controlled, cool environment would extend the life a little. Keeping the latex parts clean, inside and out is very important. Also a consideration is the brand of latev that is used. The best latex that I have ever used was a surgical grade latex. That stuff is tough and long-lasting.

But, in the long run, latex does eventually deteriorate no matter what you do. It's in it's nature to go back to nature.

~DD

Macguyver

Blooded
Anyone know how well the Castin' Craft brand of Mold builder latex would work as a brush on type over a Mr. Incredible suit?

Mannowar

Hunter
Anyone know how well the Castin' Craft brand of Mold builder latex would work as a brush on type over a Mr. Incredible suit?
You probably could, but I'm not sure why you would... It's terribly expensive compared to most of the available latexes out there... The cheapest Castin' Craft I found was $10.00 per/pint... That's $80.00 per/gallon. That's almost 3 times what I pay at Burman ($135.00 per/5 gal.= $27.00 per/gal). I can understand if it's all that's available to you, but I'd order mine elsewhere, and pay the shipping before paying $80.00 per/ gal.

DangerDavey

Hunter
If you are able to track down "Mold Builder" latex, that is good one to start with. I used that a lot in my early latex casting days. FX Warehouse sells a decent latex as well. Monsterroom(monsterroom@aol.com)also sells some really good latex for a fair price. Monstermakers also sells latex online.

~DD

roundhammer

Hunter
I have a halloween mask that I've had since 1990, and it's pretty much in the same condition as the day I bought it. It's been stored as was mentioned above, in a cool, dry place out of sunlight.

I had a DB P1 Mask, Bio, Hands, and feet a few years ago and I sold it all, because someone told me that Latex rots over time. So I figured I would dump it while the dumping was good, man am I sorry now. I think I got dumped on. Now here I am trying to start over.