Question about scuplting clay

S

Seanf1979

I have the tools I need, now I just need to figure out what kind of clay to use. I went to an art store but the clay was to much and they only sold them in 1 lbs packages. I have found something online for 50 pounds of oil based clay for around 150 with shipping. Im looking to do pred bio masks, some other helmets and maybe some armor pieces. Any suggestions?

P

pirkleations

Sean,

Oil-based clay is the best way to start. It sounds like you are getting a great deal on the clay. What brand is it? If it is either Van Aiken or Roma Plastalina, you should do well.
If you find that you end up with too much clay, feel free to share the wealth!!!

DangerDavey

M

MEANGENE83

50 lbs would be enough clay to sculpt a full size 1:1 predator mask (face).

If you just wanna do bios and such,m buy somewhere around 20lbs of clay and use a bio helmet as an armature and you will need even less clay.
I make P1 bios as armatures if your interested.
meangene83@comcast.net

I can also help you with the molding and casting process, as i have been there done it a few times.

M

monsterroom

I get my clay from Western Sculpting Supply
Located at 2855 W. 8th Avenue Denver, CO 80204
Westernsculpting@aol.com

The last time I bought clay from them they had 5lb. blocks for under $6.00 a block. I also use some very colorful clay that my wife bought at a dollar store. You can check that out under Feet101.

Jay

S

Seanf1979

Thanks for all your information. Yes I was planning on using my P1 helmet I just bought as a prop to start sculpting my bio mask. DO I just stand the helmet up on a bucket or something I guess? Here is the link to the oil based clay I may buy www.sculpturetools.com/ch...exnsp.html Yes gene that would help me a lot Im a total noob but I do have an idea for a brand new predator bio drawn out(well a rough draft anyway) so I would like to do that first and then post pictures to see what you guys think. As far as extra clay I doubt I will have much

A

Agent48

yea i know a place, gotta find the wbsite..that sells it for 15 pds for $4.00..god knows i need a crap load for my spawn mask

S

Savage Yautja

I got 50 lbs. of Chavant NSP (No Sulphur Plastiline) oil based clay, roughly 155.00 including shipping. I think the clay was $136.00 plus $19.00 to ship it to me. Great clay! I 'd get at least the medium grade hardness.

C

carlart

The chavant medium doesn't require any heating to make it malleable? I've used MM clay, the hardness is a blessing and a curse.
carlart

S

Savage Yautja

When working with Chavant medium hardness clay it becomes easily workable in almost no time just from being handled and worked a little. A hair dryer or heat gun can quickly get it softer faster but it is said to become stickier as it gets warmer. I've had no problems working with it. I've used 99%Isopropyl Alcohol for smoothing areas, it evaporates quickly and leaves no bad effects.