Re-wiring laser pointers?

roundhammer

Hunter
I got some from a local dollar store and would like to know how to hook them up to a single power source with a switch.

These laser pointers don't appear to have any leads or wires connecting the batteries, it's as if the body of the pointer is conducting the battery power...is it even possible to hook this kind of electronics to a batter holder?

Sinister

Hunter
Yes it is possible. I did have the instructions for doing so floating around somewhere. I'll dig around and see if I can find them, then post them up. Watch this space..... ;)

roundhammer

Hunter
Yes it is possible. I did have the instructions for doing so floating around somewhere. I'll dig around and see if I can find them, then post them up. Watch this space.....
That would be great!

I also tried PM'ing Cyberpred but have not received a reply. ;)

Ive had a few of those laser pointers that i tore apart just for kicks, basically you just pull the outter housing off, once thats done youll have a small circuitboard with attatched diode, from what i remember the wires for powering the laser are now visable, and you can cut and splice to the others when you have them tore apart. I believe the outter casing is just a press fit kind of deal so get two pairs of pliers and pull. Hope this helps alitle--Joe

Sinister

Hunter
There was a little more to it than that if I remember correctly (no offence) this is from memory but you cut around the casing where the small on off button is and remove the back half. You will see the back part of the circuit board and the contacts for + and - from there you can solder on your wires leading to a switch and twin AA battery holder. With the front part of the outer casing still in place it is easier to allign all 3 lazers. Like I said this IS from memory. I'm still trying to find the write up and pics that go with it. I will post em when I find them.
;)

ragacin

Unblooded
These are not my photos, I had them for reference, but I did this technique to make my Trilasers. Hardest thing is to align the lasers to make a triangle target projected. Seems like it would be easy, but the cheapo lasers aren't exactly up to surveyor specs :lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Bovine13

Hunter
My lasers were lined up in the housing but, after I insstalled it on my bio they were off a little. ;) I think I cried a bit.

roundhammer

Hunter
Isn't there another part that has to be added in there somewhere...I think it's called a resister?
It helps to keep the whole thing from either exploding from too much power, or from sucking the life out of the batteries to fast?

SgtFang

Unblooded
[BUMP!] Anyone found any illustrated tutorials for this? I need to make targeting lasers for a pair of those undersized British bios, and I'm worried about the ready made, eBay ones fitting right.

Thanks!

-Sarge

Hello,

Do you have any photos of the lasers before they were torn down?I am curious what they look like so I can go check out the dollartree.

Thanks Daren

vinmanmac

Hunter
Hello,

Do you have any photos of the lasers before they were torn down?I am curious what they look like so I can go check out the dollartree.

Thanks Daren
this is from past experience, those dollar tree type laser pointers crap out pretty easy. If you are going to spend the time and effort to wire, aim and install lasers in you mask it does not cost that much more to get real top of the line lasers from a sight on ebay. the ones I got were prewired with loose ends so you could gang them to one power source very easy.

here is a source for them and they will combine shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-x-red-5mW-Laser-diod...=item23048a7431

SgtFang

Unblooded
this is from past experience, those dollar tree type laser pointers crap out pretty easy. If you are going to spend the time and effort to wire, aim and install lasers in you mask it does not cost that much more to get real top of the line lasers from a sight on ebay. the ones I got were prewired with loose ends so you could gang them to one power source very easy.

here is a source for them and they will combine shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-x-red-5mW-Laser-diod...=item23048a7431
Ahhhh..! Those look promising! Nice and small, and they look simple to wire up!

Thanks!

-Sarge