repainting the enemy

mcbungie

Unblooded
Hi folks ive been reading your forum for some time now (superb by the way) but now im affraid its time to ask some questions from an absolute novice .
Firstly I know this is a Hunters forum and the costume im HOPING to build will be an Alien costume :) but there dosnt seem to be any decent forums out there for xenomorphs, So any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Ive just bought a second hand mask from america which is perfect condition but is a bit brownish for my likeing , my personal taste for an alien is nearly all black. So I was wondering as the mask has already been painted how would I go about repainting it again??

Thanks again mcbungie :)

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
I have got a lot of stuff from people I have had to repaint. If its latex I use MEK to clean as much off as I can and try to get as clean as possible. If the mask is already clean to my liking with the paint on, I will just repaint over the old paint. If its a resin mask I will take down any high spot with some sand paper and prime it before painting over it.

mcbungie

Unblooded
thanks

sorry forgot to mention its a foam filed latex mask

Also is there anyway to hand paint as I have no airbrush and im useless with one anyway?

DSC00086.jpg

alien.jpg

bigkeeko

Unblooded
Is that a bottle of laphroaig in the background? mmmmmm. Whut aboot a wee half? A could fair gan a richt jebble the nicht cherlie.

DangerDavey

Hunter
McBungie,

Have you checked out the "The Hive"?

I heard that it's a great site for Alien/Xenomarph reference. :))

~DangerDavey

Swingfire

Hunter
Quick question, TMI what is that MEK stuff? i.e what does it stand for? I want to clean off my undermask and start again? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! ;)

Bovine13

Hunter
Quick question, TMI what is that MEK stuff? i.e what does it stand for? I want to clean off my undermask and start again? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! ;)
Methel Ethel Ketone. Get it at The Home Depot. Nasty stuff tho, be careful with it. I use it at work often.

Swingfire

Hunter
Thanks, is there anything else that is slighty less hazardous? i.e white spirit or would that damage the latex?

Bovine13

Hunter
Thanks, is there anything else that is slighty less hazardous? i.e white spirit or would that damage the latex?
Sorry to butt in on this one. Should have let TMI answer since it was directed at him. I use MEK on my masks that I have. Its fine, the fumes are abit strong is the thing. Sorry Mortal.