Scratching a Smart Disc

F

facehugger804

I am in the process of laying out a predator smart disc. I have pretty much sorted out all the plan dimensions, but still need some side reference, in specifically the thickness from the bottom of the disc to the flat area at the top (not including the curved finger parts). I have searched and found a lot of top/bottom reference but not too much from the side. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

F

facehugger804

I have laid out the disc in CAD, for ease of making the individual components. I received a closed outside diameter of 9 1/2". I just need the thickness of the disc to complete the blueprints and start building. I will adopt the same method I used on a Pulse Pistol I have nearly finished, namely layering it in 2mm plastic card. Electronics will include the white LEDs on the top of the disc.

SmartDisc.jpg

SmartDiscTop.jpg

T

The Mortal Immortal

Good line art in Cad. Thats the way I like to see designs myself. Nice clean workable art.

SmartDisc1.jpg

S

Savage Yautja

Maximum height from the flat bottom edge to the highest point on the opening for the finger holes is 1" this does not include the height of the motor on the underside. it extends roughly 1/2 " out from the base.
See if these pics help any with getting an idea of the contour and angles.
[url="http://
[url="http://

F

facehugger804

Many thanks Savage Yautja and AlienHunter. The side view has drawn my attention to some points I had not been aware of. I thought the underside was completely flat.
I will post some WIP as soon as I start with the disc. Once again, thank you very much...

F

facehugger804

I did an initial section through the disc with the bottom completely flat. Do you think I could get away with it like that?
SectionthroughDisc.jpg

F

facehugger804

This project is proving to be more difficult than anticipated...
I have exploded the disc into 2mm sections regarding the 'layering' approach. After the basic disc shape is built and sanded, I will add the extruded parts around the finger holes.
Adding the electronics is also proving to be kind of a problem.
I have made a 'tentacle' template to acommodate for the wiring and LEDs as well as the power source...
DiscSections.jpg

DiscTop.jpg

B

Bug Stomper

Looks very promising!
Since you put a great deal of work in the disc, you should note, that the tips overlap about 1cm when the disc is closed.
So you should make each tip about 5mm longer and bend one side slightly up and the other one down.

Cheers,
Stefan

K

kithunter

the detail drawings look excellent,

I have an icons smart disk that is movie accurate i'll snap up some close ups of the detailing later tonight

Very cool project

AM

F

facehugger804

I would defnitely appreciate movie-accurate pix for reference. I have already started on the disc from the bottom up. Will post some WIP tomorrow... Thx

F

facehugger804

I have started with the build and have started from the bottom up. These are the first two sheets for the 'front' half.
I am relying heavily on my dremel for this phase of the build, hence a 0.5mm coating of plastic on everything I own...

BtmSheet.jpg

GrpSheet.jpg

F

facehugger804

With my Farscape Pulse Pistol now finished, I can spend more time on the smart disc. Cut and dremeled out two more sheets and glued them into the stepped configuration.
When all the sheets are glued, I will sand the disc to the smoothed out look it will have in the end and add the raised finger nibs afterwards. The stepped disc sheets are accurately oversized to accommodate for the slope.

PSMD-3LGlue.jpg

PSMD-3LSide.jpg

T

The Mortal Immortal

Looking really good. I like the layers sweet deal.

S

Savage Yautja

Are you going to dress it up with a stainless steel metal edge after you get the contoured shape smoothed? At the widest point the movie prop had a metal blade edge which did the real business of cutting as it vibrated. (yes a Predator vibrator,also doubled as an electric steak knife.
But seriously this would look very cool. contact me m_stempfly@hotmail.com if you want some good pics. I'll look thru my 3GB's + of Predator data to find you the best.

F

facehugger804

Not a bad idea... A bit of metal would make it nice and heavy in the hand. ANY reference will defnitely be greatly appreciated...

S

Savage Yautja

Let me know if you get the pics I sent. It refused at least one.