sculpting a pred 1 backpack

I

inkdoctor

ok im going to start sculpting a predator 1 backack. whats the best wat to go about sculpting something that big? should i start with a basic foam structure of it then add clay to it for the final sculpting and details, or just start fronm a huge lump of clay. im shure its not gonna be completely screen accurate since i cant find many pics of it from the different angles. but im gonna give it a shot from the pics i have and the model kits and mcfarlin figures i have avalible to me.

P

pirkleations

Start with the basic foam or wire shape underneath. That will save tons of clay and keep your sculpt light-weight. You'll thank yourself later when you get to the molding and casting process!!!

~DangerDavey

I

inkdoctor

thanks dave i figured i should make some kind of under structure. scott suggested maybe making the basic shape of it out of cardboard then adding clay to that to finish the sculpt. im gonna start it soon i will post pics on the progress.

M

MEANGENE83

If i was you i would make a wire frame from something as rigid as coathangers. But not neccasarily coathangers.... then get some chicken wire and mold a general shape around your wire frame.

FROM THERE take burlpa and plaster and cover that puppy.

The goal here i would have to say is to make as FIRM a base as possible. The last thing you need when doing such a large and heavy sculpt is for you to be battling with the basis of the whole thing. i.e. falling over, caving etc.

Final step which would also need to be done as well would be to clear coat the plaster with krylon. To seal it so it does not suck all the water outta your WED CLAY (assuming you are using that)

S

ScottAS

If you can find an old mannequin it helps. That's how I sculpted this.
Collage1.jpg

I

inkdoctor

hi scott actually i do have a mannequin. and the torso armor that you sculpted is exactly what im sculpting my new backpack to go on. did you get one cast up this weekend? im lloking foward to it, its gonna be a nice addition to my new suit.

S

ScottAS

Dwayne should have 1 cast by the end of next week. This year has been very busy for me, had no down time. I will not sell a piece before I have it in my own hands.

I

inkdoctor

no problem scott glad to see that your stayin busy. got your email as well.