Sculpting Clays, whats your choice?

M

MrSkorr

Curious as to what clays everyone here is using for these amazing Bio sculpts?

M

Maverick118

Oil based if I have to take my time over a sculpt, or water based for large sculpts or if I have to get something done quickly.

B

blk n blu dream

I use oil-based (I dont have to worry about it drying out), I get the semi-firm stuff... the firmest is way too hard, and anything less than the semi-firm wont hold it's shape enough.

S

Savage Yautja

Oil base NSP Chavant Plastiline clay. Great clay to work with.

P

pro predator

well i used water based clay for my krueger head sculpt because it's lifesize
but i think for smaller parts oil based works better
oh yeah i hate to wurry about drying out
but i know a good thing
i put some wet cheets around the sculpt and a plastic bag over it
works good for me and it won't dry out or get hard

M

Master Yoda 54

I've used Roma Plastiline #2 for my sculpts. It works like a freagn charm. Hard enough to hold its shapre very nicely yet soft enough to work at it without breaking your fingers. You can get some of this pretty cheap at Dick Blick art supplies.

Hope this helps.

KEITH

N

NightSlayer666

i use the Monster Makers oil based clay. Apparently its their own recipie or somthing, whatever it is i like it, when its cold its hard as a brick, but still sculptable, and when hot you can actually pour it into a mold,but i havent tried that yet.-joe

C

carlart

I haven't been sculpting for very long, I too have used the MM oil based, because I like the "chiselability" of it when it hardens at room temp. Occasionally I use a long nozzle gas grill lighter to heat and soften targeted areas.
carlart