Sculpting for latex casts

carlart

Hunter
I am considering sculpting something that will be cast in latex. To that end, how much bigger would I need to make it to account for latex shrinkage? If someone could describe it in inches as opposed to a percentage, it would be a big help in determining whether or not I want to go down this road. Let's use a head for an example, since a lot them are being done lately--- how thick would the clay have to be off of a life size bust?

carlart

inkmonster

Hunter
carl what are you planning on casting in latex? are you going to cast it using a latex mold or is the final piece going to be made of latex? i was told by a few of the well known prop builders from the lair. i was reconsidering making a new mold of the predator feet i have since they are quite large to size them down a bit for me. and all of them said the same thing i may get between a 1/8 and 1/4 of a inch shrinkage so it wont make to much difference unless i did it like 5 times. in which case i would loose most of the details by then.

carlart

Hunter
I plan on doing a sculpt, which will be molded in Hydrocal or Ultracal, whereas I will be casting in latex. Didn't know all yoiu had to do is add water to get latex to shrink more.
Why do I have the feeling this discussion's gonna go south any moment? :)

carlart