Sculpting hands?

D

darkenism

i am about to start sculpting some pred hands of my own...

whats the best way to make of mold of my own hands for an armature..which materials are safe?..or does anyone know of a good armature i can start with? im 6'3" and 250 lbs so i have big hands.....yea

M

Maverick118

Washing up gloves and Duct tape, I simply made a duct tape dummy of my hands, by slipping the gloves on one hand at a time and then wrapping in duct tape. Used a pvc pipe as an internal support then filled with expanding foam. Cheap and worked a treat.

D

darkenism

Would it be safe to mold my hands with plaster or paris if i wore latex gloves? How long does that typicallt take to set up?

P

pirkleations

Please DO NOT make a mold of your hands with plaster of paris!!

It becomes very hot and can actually burn your hands in the process, whether you are wearing rubber gloves or not.

Use another, safer method mentioned above. Or you can buy alginate at your local craft stores for temporary molds that are safe and easy.

~DangerDavey

M

Maverick118

Got to agree with Dave here, plaster when it cures gets very hot, even hotter inside than on the surface as the heat bleeds into the air. If you're determined to mold your hands then use alginate with a decent setting time, not the quick setting variety. Or if your money will run to it SmoothOns Body Double which is a really great product. As I said if you're just sculpting your hands and your not doing any prosthetic work, which is why you need an accurate life cast most times. Just go with the old K.I.S.S. method Keep It Simple Stupid As you'll be sculpting the details on the surface. Presumably you'll be casting the finish article in latex so sculpting the hands a degree of around 10%-15% bigger than you need will be a must for a good fit. As latex shrinks when fully cured. Just go with the duct tape version, you won't go far wrong with it. It's what I used when I first started doing this.

J

JediUsurper

Dude you had 1st class help with the 1st 2 replies.

and given GOOD advice after about the plaster !!!!

R

Ruffkintoy

www.bioweapons.com/castingHandsFeet.htm

Theres a link for molding a hand with alginate. You could also do alginate like a head cast and spread it on your hand real thick, then make a 2 piece or clamshell plaster bandage support shell.
If you don't need good skin detail you can do straight plaster bandage making a 2 piece mold. First you will need to apply vaseline REAL WELL to all of the area you are molding(and up a little more than that)If you have hairy arms put it on thick and make sure no hair is sticking up, unless you want to wax your arms. Then start with the plaster bandage, do one side, apply vaseline to the edge you will overlap and then do the other. Take it off, vaseline the inside of both halves. Put them back together and use more bandage to seal the seam all the way. Then pour in your Plaster of choice.

T

The Big Gunns

Darkenism..

I think it is good you want to make your entire suit yourself.. but you have asked a gazillion questions on the Lair since you got here. I'm not sure if you are reading through all the posts or not.. but on a past thread you said you didn't have time. It's understandable.. but if you don't have time to do the research then maybe you should wait to build your suit until you do have time. Because you will end up NOT getting all the info, screw it up, and then have to do it over.

As for your sculpting molding questions.. alot of the info on making hands is the same as making a mask or a full bodysuit. It's just on a smaller scale. My advice to you is to visit www.monstermakers.com and get their books and videos on making monsters. There is alot more to this than anyone can tell you on a message board. Plus you will have the beneift of photos to help you.

~Mel

D

darkenism

Thanks for the advice Mel. I am trying to read old posts more, and I bought 2 videos. I know I ask alot of questions... I dont mean to be a pest... I just wanna learn! I'm just eager to get back into art...I've veered away from it these past few years...and i hate that...bear with me and I'll try to make you guys proud.