Sculptors! Need some tips

S

Savage Yautja

Any sculptors here want to share how they get the details carved in the clay? Like what tools are used for grooves and veining on the skin. I don't mean painting either. Rather the intricate texture seen on head sculpts. I have baby oil and 99% Isopropyl Alcohol for smoothing and a wide array of tools. Just need to know if the techniques i'm using are the right ones to achieve the loook I want and get this head completed.

Thanks

M

Maverick118

Don't forget cellophane Mark it really helps when doing wrinkles. Lay that on your clay and then use whichever tool you want to lay down a wrinkle or a crease, then remove it and brush it lightly with the alcohol to smooth edges even more for a really organic look. The tool you're going to use will depend upon the size and depth of the scale texture or wrinkle you want to add to your sculpt

As for which tools to use, it's a case of whichever you feel mor comfortable using, and what medium you're working in too ie. oil based, water based or polymer based clays too. Check out conceptart.org and look for smellybugs two maquette tutorials. I only use a dozen or so different tools myself. Rakes of various sizes (home made by using a dremmel to cut notches in a loop tool, and attaching lengths of heavy gauge guitar strings to a dowel) to smooth and even a surface out, loop tools to carve out shapes and a home made tool using the blade of a jewelers screwdriver (Which I ground the sharp edge off so it isn't that sharp but still a fine point) and a wooden dowel to make something that I can use for very fine detailing. Callipers and a mirror for helping getting your symetry correct (but for organic pieces like the pred head you don't have to be spot on) Last but not least your fingers, they're the best tools you have for pushing the clay around and judging where the lumps and bumps and hollows need taking down or filling in before you start smoothing. Hope this is of a little help to you.

P

pirkleations

Savage,

Here's what I do to get wrinkles and fine lines into a clay sculpt...

I take heavy-duty clear cellophane plastic wrap and place it on the area that I want to add wrinkles and lines. I use the tool made by Ebehard-Faber pictured below to do this. You may use other tools as well, such as latex wrinkle texture stamps(monstermakers?) or finer tools. Just be sure not to use anything sharp. Sharp tools tend to cut the plastic wrap.

I'm sure that our other sculptors have more ideas as well.

Good Luck!!

MVC-007F.jpg

DangerDavey

I

inkdoctor

mark im no sculpter but i know monster makers makes a bunch of different skin texture stamps. as far as the lines and wrinkles i believe they have some nice tools for that as well.

S

Savage Yautja

Thanks , I never knew of cellophane being used before. I'll give it a try. I'm sculpting with NSP oil based Chavant clay. This clay is fantastic to work with! Thanks for the pics you posted. I have two different sets of tools from Monstermakers so I'm pretty well armed with rakes loops detailing tools and some with tiny evenly spaced teeth not cetain what their main application is yet. Here is a picture of the primary detailing tools I've been utilizing for various areas. Any info on these and their best applications would be great for everyone interested.[url="http://

M

Maverick118

Well most of the larger tools I use are just to help me when I'm blocking out the rough shape. They help carve out the basis for your sculpt. Well that's what I use them for as I'm all self taught. The smaller selection of tools I have are simply for detailing and texturing and for getting to hard to reach crevices. You've got a fine selection there to you along your way. One tool that you might want to invest in is a kidney shaped tool. You can get these in silicone rubber or metal. I have both. If you have looked at the tutorials on Concept art by smellybug espetially the half mask maquette, you'll see small teeth cut into his. This is a massive help when raking large surfaces and getting the surfaces nice and even. the silicone one I use is for taking down high spots and with it being rubber you can flex it to catch just the spot that needs taking down. Hope this explains a little more for you. as I said this is purely how I use my tools adn may not even resemble how they should be used

T

TheWolfPredator

I also have a question. Its hard here to get oil based clay, in fact ive never been able to get it, can someone help me with some smoothing and leveling techniques with Water based clay?

M

Maverick118

It's pretty much the same technique. I simply use a kidney shaped tool to level the surface out and take the peaks off any high spots, also do this when you fill in any dimples where the clay is lower than the surface. I then rake the area with the rake tools I have and smooth them out with a little water and bobs your uncle it is smooth and level

T

TheWolfPredator

ok as i am lame and cant buy tools are you able to point out what tools are what.. like eg; the kidney tool. So i can match them up with household apliences. Thanks