Shorty predator from dc comics

Discussion in 'Predator Costumes' started by Dannyspraynut1, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

hi I’m new to this but feel I definitely have the skills to make somthing unique. I’ve always been a fan of the alien vs predator comics in particular “war”
    Since I’m only 5’9 I want to make a suit that’s within my portions so it makes sense to make one that’s short lol
    I think his Armor and bio looks awesome and seeing some of the custom preds on her especially the top knot design although mine will never be as good I’m Gona give it a try.
    I’m Gona use the classic predator look with shortys armor and will make as much of it myself as I can.
    I’m Gona start this project after Xmas so any tips or help will be greatly appreciated.
    Long time pred fan here

28F19B40-A72A-43EA-8FAD-EC62592B4D50.jpeg

20AD4197-6DA4-4AB7-9521-21A36D71EED8.jpeg

2. Red2

Red2 Blooded

Man, I was just saying how I'd love to make a suit for myself but I'm a measly 5' 8".

Shorty Predator?! I'll take it!

Good luck with the build. Working on one for my daughter at the moment.

3. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

Buy the Aliens vs predator war comic he’s in there

lazybones88 and Red2 like this.
  4. JohnnyChaos

JohnnyChaos Unblooded

when I got my mask the builders I spoke to all told me that most of their customers were around that size... made me feel better better about my 5ft 9

Red2 and Dannyspraynut1 like this.
  5. Red2

Red2 Blooded

Haha! At least we're taller than the kids.

Dannyspraynut1 and JohnnyChaos like this.
  6. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

So I’m thinking of making the armor and backpack etc out of cardboard getting my shapes close to what I want, covering with pva then, then either laying fibre glass weave on top on or carbon fibre as I use this at work. Once I’ve got it to where I want I’ll sand the fibre glass and apply fillers to get it looking straight then I’ll attack it with a dremmel to add detail then prime and paint.
    I figure if I remove the card after I’ll have a lightweight design and laying the fibre glass on top of the card design will make the shape more fluid and what is desired
    I think doing it this way lends well to my trade aswell as saving a lot of time sculpting and moulding.
    Has anyone done this?

Texas predator, LunaticNic and Red2 like this.
  7. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

Also quite like this guy lol

C465B996-F04B-43FC-893F-DB32E5545F01.jpeg

Texas predator likes this.
  8. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

Been doing abit of drawing adding a custom cannon what you all think?

85FB3035-9B4E-41D2-8E28-3A93EE256C6C.jpeg

E87D180D-C90D-4390-874E-704112E3E1C2.jpeg

C7851C25-5CE6-4B49-9335-02660D59AF67.jpeg

Texas predator, LunaticNic and Red2 like this.
  9. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Nice concepts! Not a fan of shorty's torso armor (too much for my tastes lol) but I love the shoulder armor.
    I believe I've heard people say that his bio was one of the core inspirations for Wolf's Bio.

Are you planning on sculpting, molding, and casting the suit pieces, or going the foam etc. route?

Dannyspraynut1 likes this.
  10. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Lol nevermind (a portion) of that last question just saw you'll attempt making some Carbon Fiber pieces? !?!? Hope that works out. Would be pretty cool if it did XD

Though being a sculptor I'm, of course, biased and want to see everyone do more of it LOL

11. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

I want to sculp the head etc and do a latex body but the armor I think would be pretty cool done in carbon fibre plus the weave will show through depending on how transparent I put the paint on it.
    I’m still thinking how I can turn this comic book design into a real life one without it been over the top think I’ll base it on the predator 1 and adapt it to shortys look
    Defo abit Wolf I do agree

LunaticNic likes this.
  12. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

The main thing I want to achieve is my suit looking porltionaly correct, I think carbon fibre gauntlet blades would look cool too.
    At the moment I’m just playing with ideas man I wana see the top knot build finished that’s the reason Ive decided to do this

LunaticNic likes this.
  13. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

I’ll need advice on sculpting tho so all the help I can get will be appreciated

LunaticNic likes this.
  14. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Any questions you got I'd be happy to answer to the best of my ability lol.

15. Texas predator

Texas predator Blooded

Hello Danny, I thought I was following you already, but now I am :) I can't wait to see your shorty BUILD. My thoughts on fiber glass might be a little much only cause of chemicals and gooey stickiness. The cardboard is a lot easier for templates and starting out. A lot of people use foam mats I think for the armor.

16. lazybones88

lazybones88 Blooded

I am willing to help in any way I can or to the best of my ability.

17. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

Got this today paid £20 for it

5A0FCA41-BFEB-4B6B-A1D7-1D4F9A1D911F.jpeg

18. Texas predator

Texas predator Blooded

AWESOME bio!! Are you go to modify it, for your shorty PRED concept? :) it looks like a P2 bio.

19. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

Is is a pred 2 bio badly painted, Gona mould it then make a custom shorty one will paint this one and replace the leds with lazers
    Love the pred 2 bio shape so it’s a good start

Texas predator likes this.
  20. Texas predator

Texas predator Blooded

Sounds very COOL! I like how you took a comic book PREDATOR as your inspiration for your own build. Can't wait to see MORE :)

21. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Hey, just fyi (sorry if I misunderstood what you're planning to do, useful info nonetheless) making a mold from something you didn't sculpt (or made by other means I guess) is considered "recasting" which is heavily frowned upon and a bann-able offense on this site. You can use it with a different color-scheme, or/and use it as inspiration to get the proportions right for a sculpt though.

Dannyspraynut1 and lazybones88 like this.
  22. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

Then I will not be doing that then, sorry I didn’t realise.

LunaticNic likes this.
  23. Dannyspraynut1

Dannyspraynut1 Unblooded

Ok guys so I have given it a lot of thought and I want to do this build the best way possible.
    So sculpting a predator head....I know what I want to achieve, with the job I do I modify things and make them to my own specifications would I bet better off getting a latex mask and modifying that or start from scratch?
    I have the pred 2 bio shall I modify this or again start from scratch and make my own?
    I had intended on taking a mould of the bio and modifying the copy so I could paint and keep the original to put on display.
    And just curious... lol
    If I was to make a mould of my pred 2 bio and make a real copper duplicate using sand casting and real copper off course would anyone be interested in buying this? Just wondered as I think it would be aswome in real copper

LunaticNic likes this.
  24. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

To avoid the recasting issue, the main way would be doing it yourself. With cast pieces done by someone else you are largely constrained to doing different paint-ups.

I'm sure there are some people willing to buy a copper duplicate of a p2 mask, but it would still need to be your sculpt.

For the most part what you can use that mask for is repaint it, and suit up as is. Display it, and usin it as reference for size, and shape, while sculpting.

As far as the head goes I'd personally recommend sculpting and blocking out the head in a way that reflects the basic style from one of the movies, and then use that as a foundation to deviate from in your own way.

Otherwise you would need to stick with a Predator mask and being restricted to giving it a custom paint-job (like with the bio-helmet).