Sideshow Collectibles P1 Mask Replica

Guan Thwei

Elite Hunter
This looks interesting and I'm curious who will be grabbing this up as oppose to those who already have the P1 stunt casting from the actual mold from George.
preview_400151_Predator1Maskv02.jpg

Awesome, I've been waiting to see how this turned out.  If I remember correctly George provided his stunt master while Matt Rose sculpted this.  That adds some extra special cool to it.  I have no SS pieces and I'm tempted to make this one my first.  The shape looks great but the weathering's a little disappointing.  Guess I'll have to see some in hand pics before taking the plunge.

They mention what pricing might be?

hannay07

Hunter
I agree with tri_laser and huntersmoon.  Definitely needs more weathering.  Over all the shape is a beaut.

The sad part is these are production shots.  So it's likely the paint won't get any better.  I mean, it's not horrible but it not accurate either. 

TRI LASER

Hunter
Unfortunately that seems to be the sad state of affairs with most sideshow props. They are trying to sell a product to people and they hope the average laymen wont look to closely at it and speak out. Most people out there just want a prop of something they like, plain and simple. But there are people like us who want a screen accurate prop, and want it to look screen accurate. Its the same with the P2 bio they are releasing. They couldn't get hold of the original hero mould so they have had to sculpt there own. And for most people they are fine with that. In this case its a P1. If its right that it was taken form georges mould and refined then that's fine about the shape but they need to knuckle down with the paint work as well to make it an extra special piece. I mean its the P1 bio. It should be there flagship predator bio prop.  

It wasn't from Georges mold but a cast was used as a visual aid I think.  It was mooonths ago when this was being talked about.  He may pop in to correct me.  If this is the it we're getting a P1 bio sculpt from the original sculptor of the helmet. Now that's pretty badass!  Even if the paint is so so.

Hippie

Blooded
I do like it but have to say...
If Georges stunts are from the original mold (and they are) then it has to be the most accurate and therefore the best option. If you can get one.
Did predator wear a Bio from the George mold or a Side Show?
In not knocking it. As I say I like it. But if yer ever in the lucky position to have the choice then it has to be a George. Plus you have to finish a George yourself so everyone has its own character.
I'll shut up now!

Guan Thwei

Elite Hunter
I know for a fact that I'm not needing this in my collection. I already have the casting from George and I plan on getting that painted and worked on to film accuracy. I guess I'm very picky I know it is a replica, but I think it is always cool to have the real thing if not something detail close to it.

Python

Blooded
Does look to clean but that could be the lighting, I'm looking forward to more pictures next Thursday, however I suspect they may have used their Scar bio again and altered a few small bits, I.e thinned the cheek and flattened the tips at the back etc. I'd also be interested to see how they have implemented the lenses on this one... although they look quite Scar like also.

TRI LASER

Hunter
Python said:
Does look to clean but that could be the lighting, I'm looking forward to more pictures next Thursday, however I suspect they may have used their Scar bio again and altered a few small bits, I.e thinned the cheek and flattened the tips at the back etc. I'd also be interested to see how they have implemented the lenses on this one... although they look quite Scar like also.
Well anyone can tell just by the pic that it doesn't follow the P1 paint app. As for the sculpt, I don't think it is the scar. George even said he worked closely with matt rose to develop this. I have blown up the image and as far as I can tell the eyes ARE a mesh. Which is always a good start lol  :p

TRI LASER

Hunter
A Hunter's Moon said:
Spoke briefly with George.  This is in fact the one I spoke about above and it's an all new sculpt. 
It's cool, and a shame all at the same time. There are plenty of P1s out there to chose from (including the stunt) so all of a sudden this doesn't seem that special. Still think HGC holds the crown for their P1

wonko

Hunter
My only hope is that George gets around to making a new mold and offering up the stunt again.  George, if you're reading this, get to it man! :p   As far as this bio is concerned... meh.

Brian

ptgreek

Elite Hunter
Hey All ..yup ..this is the Matt Rose, Chad Waters P1. Funny ..i ran into Matt this morning at Reynolds Advanced Materials ..he wasnt even aware it was released.  When Chad called me to meet he and Matt to view my master copy, i wasnt aware of the reason. It took a few days for us to hook up but when we did, Matt held the bio and said "this feels right" we discussed all the intricacies of why the bio was what it was ..how it was molded and how working to get it done for the movie in a day or so caused some "rushing" that produced happy accidents. I asked about the dent..the mold was a matrix mold with a huge stone jacket. he hadnt clay walled the jacket enough when he poured the silicone. As silicone poured out from under the jacket, Matt held it down firm to stop further leaking. as he recollected, the dent was probably caused by this. the fin "error" that can be seen in my castings was from not sealing the clay enough. they just body shopped it afer casting just as everyone who has gotten the bio has. So i left the master with them to help them out. What i didnt know until then is that the sculpture was due the next day. They worked off some amazing pictures from set that Steve had taken ( they showed me the whole album ...unbelievable behind the scene pics that very few have seen.) so by the time i got to them, most of the sculpture was finished ..however Chad later told me that it was very helpful especially in the eyes. Chad actually still has my master ..while we dont live too far from eachother, we keep failing to meet up to exchange ..Ha .he actually brought it to Comicon with him and brought it in to meet me ..I was in a full realistic "Splinter" costume we did over at Immortal. I had no way to carry the helmet so i had him keep it. I will get around to getting it back for a re-mold soon. I havent been around too much lately because of everything going on in my life. I am Happy to say that I just partnered with Andrew as an owner of Immortal Masks. We've been very busy both with the masks and some film projects. I still poke around here so dont think ive vanished or forgotten about you guys ..the Lair is where i got my start .it'll always be a huge part of my life ..and i promise to make it a goal this year to get some more bios done.

Python

Blooded
Thank you for the info. We'll get more pictures this coming Thursday when it goes up for pre order.