Silicone Molding Tutorial

C

carlart

Here's the long promised tutorial on how I molded my P1 cannon. Hopefully it will be useful to Lair folks out there. It is a PDF file, readable with Acrobat Reader, a free download at Adobe.com. Most operating systems have this software already incorporated into them. Click here to view:
accurizedhunterparts.com/siliconemolding.pdf
To download it, right click or option click on the above link.
Good luck,
carlart

B

BurntKona

Excellent info there. It's great to see the whole process in pictures. Thanks for taking the time to put this togther.

T

The Mortal Immortal

Nice, I going to have to try this. I never try resin before.

T

TheWolfPredator

Just wondering how heavy resin is?

Would resin be ok for a chest piece on a different costume im woring on or maybe a halo helmet? also how easily broken is it? Ive only worked with Latex before.

C

carlart

You might be able to get away with resin on some parts, but I wouldn't recommend it for chest armor, especially a helmet, too heavy for those applications. The way to go on larger pieces would be urethane, flexible, yet more firm than latex, with virtually no shrinkage. Some members here have worked with that material, perhaps they might chime in here and help you out, urethane casting is brand new to me.
carlart

T

TheWolfPredator

yeah ive never heard of it, it will probably be very difficult to get in australia, as we dont stock any Ultracal 30 (is that the name?) and i cant seem to find any silicone. Can you tell me what brand of silicone you are using so i at least have a name to go by there.

Also in another thread ive asked how to use fibreglass. Do you know how to use it? If so would you like to exchange MSN details?

Thanks

K

kithunter

quite possibly one of the best how to's ever done, carl ...big props to you bro. the cannon, the tutorial...right on the money.

AM