Silicone P1 Suit Evolution. Pg41 Hands Video 19/07/13

ptgreek

Elite Hunter
I think everyone's assumption is that Silicone for some reason is hotter to wear then latex ..it most surely is not. The fact that it sits as close to your body as possible is what helps regulate the body temp. unlike latex that sits farther away creating almost a sauna effect. Many of you may or may not know that I have recently moved on from my old employer to a company that has a Silicone mask division. We have done full silicone suits as well. Our creature actors all feel the same ..that once on...silicone is much more comfortable then latex. High Temp "under armor", as Lee is suggesting is the way to go in wardrobe under the silicone. Im sure Lee can already "feel" the difference in wearing the skin. It is a heavy product by nature ..but evenly distributes on the body

wonko

Hunter
Looks great Lee! I watched a few videos on the paint system, but couldn't really tell how well it flows/sprays. Is yours the stuff that comes in the syringe? What did you use to thin it? I'm very tempted to play with some silicone after seeing how you did this. Can't wait to see this guy done!

Brian

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
wonko said:
Looks great Lee! I watched a few videos on the paint system, but couldn't really tell how well it flows/sprays. Is yours the stuff that comes in the syringe? What did you use to thin it? I'm very tempted to play with some silicone after seeing how you did this. Can't wait to see this guy done!

Brian
Brian, it has to be thinned with something for airbrush use, the more you thin the longer it will take to cure in my experience, so I try to thin it just enough to run through my airbrush smoothly, I mix it pretty much as the face painting youtube video shows. I spoke to Guy ( the creator ) several times before his passing away, ( such a shame  :( ) he was always very approachable and keen to help. I use a product called CLEANIT SUPER CITRI-SCENT 11, it smells like oranges and lemons, but gives you a wicked headache as I found out again the other day ( hense why I am getting a new respirator today.). its also the same stuff I use to smooth my monster clay. 
The syringes were a bad idea, they do not seal very well after  use and I actually had my red and white go bad due to this. So get the bottles if you can they are far easier to use and you do not risk them going off, I think they may have moved everything to the bottles now. same size just easier to use.

Giles

Blooded
I can vouch for the Super Citri being potent stuff, it is essentially D-limonene in a can. I've seen D-limonene eat through a plastic container and go all over the desk and floor in my lab, and that gave me a thumping head for days.  As with everything don't take PPE requirements lightly!

ThePriest

Blooded
Well i have to say this is epic and long overdue .
I just started on a full body suit and i just made my duct tape dummy so when the foam is dry i plan on making a silicone suit as well . thanks for all the info i can't wait to see yours finished and painted it looks fantastic !  

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
Thanks lol, Its not overdue, I said long ago, it will be ready when its ready. :p

and cool on the silicone suit front, maybe we will see more pop up on here.

This is looking very very cool. I have to chime in here and mention Skin Flex III. I have played with it a bit and like it very much. The legs I'm working on will be done with it. It is some very soft and stretchy stuff. I'm trying it out before the silcone route because of the paint issue. I will be sticking to my old standby contact cement paint. I will keep an eye over here to see how it all works outfor ya. So far very nice work.  

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
ok

not sure WHAT this paint issue is with silicone....... 

anyway, im sure your suit and plan will work out fine, as the rest of your suit has been awesome to watch evolve over the years.

back to more painting later.

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
not much of a update but i am super tired.

this is in bright sunlight coming in from the garage door ( yeah we do get sun occasionally in the UK ) kind of washes out the skin tones, and i am not sure how i feel about that, so I may go in and add some more shading. kind of hard to tell really.

I will try to take a photo with the head near it tomorrow, so you can see how they are pairing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was waiting to see what you would do with the spot pattern.  Really like the breakup of spots.  Especially around the chest area.  You continue to impress dude!

wonko

Hunter
Very impressive Lee. The skin looks so "alive". I love how it has depth even where there are no built up layers of paint. I don't see anyone surpassing this any time soon. Pat yourself on the back for a job VERY well done!

Brian

Giles

Blooded
Not sure what to say about the skin tones being washed out.  It looks pretty good to me.  It would be difficult to do, but could you try different lighting conditions?  move it into full sunlight, shade, fluorescent lighting etc.  Just thinking you might get the skin tone right for outside/daylight, which might look too dark for a brightly lit convention centre or vice versa.

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
Yeah I think I will have to take it outside to check how it looks when super brightly lit.

thanks for the feedback guys.

I think my issue with any paints for any rubbers is how well they stay in place. You are doing a great job on the paint up by the way. So I'm assuming the paint is very stretchy also? 

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
The paint chemically adheres to the silicone, an I think is a silicone based paint itself. 

the 1st thing you have to do after its painted and matted is wash it. which will be handy after its worn , as I can just wash the suit down inside and out. something I would definitely not want to do with a foam or latex suit.

It stretches fine on the neck of my P1 head, im guessing again because its basically tinted silicone paint, and does not craze like latex or foam. no matter how far I stretch the neck of the mask.

TuaCathach

Hunter
I was lucky enough to see this suit on video stream yesterday, firstly i was shocked at how much stretch there is in the silicone, that thing would stretch over me without an hassle, secondly to see the paint stretch so much and then come right back to normal was insane.. i dont think there will be any issues with the paint on this at all.. fantastic build and as i said before definatly raising the bar on what can be done at home...  (y)