I had/and to a point still have some worries about how this will look, because there is a margin for human ( ie me ) error.
anyway, I am done with like 98% of the spots, I will need to go back in with some shading and possibly a few tweaks on the spots, but other than that and the belt, I am just waiting for it to cure enough to top coat them use the matting powder.
I think I will make up some silicone quills over the weekend
Watching you work this morning (or afternoon depending where you're from) showed why your paint jobs turn out so well. I keep saying this, but this is just incredible! Could EASILY pass for screen used imo!
not sure if you have covered this on the washed out paint concern, but i was wondering if it has something to do with it not being filled/worn. I know that the dark areas shouldn't be an issue but the ligher areas may need to have something behind it to stand out a bit more when in the light.
It totally does, and thanks for bringing it up, i noticed when i put my hand inside it makes everything darker, so im thinking all will be well when " I " am inside lol.
also looking at the spots, i am going to be tweaking them tomorrow on the sides of the ribs, although i did not strictly follow the p1 placement due to me wanting my own style, i am not happy with some sections, so more bloody spots to come hehe.
Really like your work on this Lee. It's very true what you said, with the proper desire and determination there is nothing you can't do. This site, videos and online schools available now are resources that make things like this possible. Buy some clay, an airbrush, read up on materials and you are on your way. In your case there's alot of talent mixed in...
the solution for the translucency problem is pre-tinting the silicone. Silicone will always have a certain translucency, but casting it raw allows it all the way to the core ( in this case the core being Lee). You can pre-tint a couple ways .. one would to use sil-pig and mix a color as close to the base coat as you want. ( always do a test on a small batch first so you know what the cured batch will look like). The other would be to flock the silicone. This is great for flesh tones. you are imbedding the flocking into the silicone. I will tint flesh with some flesh colored flocking first, adding in blues and reds for blood vessel ( go too far ..off set with yellow) ...finishing up by flaking brown concealing makeup right into the mix ..give it a good mix and you have a very similar match to real flesh. Both methods add color integrally to the silicone, rather then just the top coats
Its not a problem really George, just a observation, and I remember us talking about pre tinting a while ago, and the flocking, but I didn't want human looking skin tones underneath, I wanted to create the look from scratch.
when its in a bright area with nothing inside certain areas looked pale, I went over those areas and then noticed filling it made a difference. again not a big thing at all and I am not worried at all about that, im way more concerned with getting the spots on the ribs in closer. hehe
but I am not looking forward to clear coating this, then clear coating a 2nd time with the matting powder.
ha ..i guess "problem" was a poor choice of words ..not exactly what i meant... I also just realized that your suit isnt on a positive when you are painting. Another big kudos for you brother. Lee ..out of curiosity, how are you lighting it when you are painting. With the opacity, and nothing under the silicone when you are painting, did you ever have issues with the consistency of the base color?
The base colour I used was BONE WHITE, but as the gel00 is a off white ish anyway, im still not sure if I totally covered it lol, I went over with yellow ocre shading and some muted browns, and then white then layering light 01 , back and forth so I think I got it lol.
the darker umber and sienna colours are the ones I was not loving ( as you rightly ask about consistency ) however I think it has worked due to me NOT having a solid UMBER or SIENNA undertone, ive mixed it up and mottled it a lot, but I still noticed areas where it looked like I had missed. the lighting in my parents garage is pretty horrid , theres 1 3x3ft window at the end behind, and a garage door with 1 little overhead light, ive been having the garage door open when its not been raining to try to illuminate it as much as possible, but it has been far from ideal.
sorry that's long winded, yes I has issues with consistency lol, but that was due to the lighting more that the silicone being untinted.
ok I need coffee, I wasted too much energy typing my rambling reply.
Ha...I understood every word . For the conditions, you did an amazing job.. Hell you did an amazing job even if the conditions were perfect. I was curios about your lighting situation. It's something we are always tweaking due to the nature of silicone