Silicone Quills.

Hippie

Blooded
Ive used it to make some tiny dreads for the temple areas and it works very well indeed.
The nice thing also is that you can bake them with a slight bend so that they fall better.
I havent got a pic yet but can get one if you want.
Next Im gona use it to cover up my bald patch.

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
lol.

Be interested in what folks are baking them at , if the instructions i were given have been tweaked for overseas, as UK temp is 200, so i guess USA temp is 350?

Not sure if thicker than normal = more cooking time.

Hippie

Blooded
I dont keep the thicker ones in for longer. However....
After they've baked and I've taken them off the foil I always put them back in the oven as its cooling anyway. Sort of a second, lighter bake.

I've done a few of these now and there are a few things I now also do.

*Roll them very slightly longer and thinner than you want because they tend to contract a tad in the oven.
*Don't do too many at once. If they are on the backing tray/foil for too long before they go into the oven they can get a very slight flat spot on the underneath. I tend to do some, lay them on the foil and give them all a small last roll while they are on the foil just before cooking.
*Before I glue them to the mask I also wash them in hot soapy water. A drip of superglue and they aint going anywhere.
*I also found that you tend to get a better shape to the quills if your sober when rolling them. I made a few while I was having a few beers recently and ended up with Pred Afro'

Have to say this is awesome stuff. So strong and ultra flexible.

I'd like to know how others go about it though.

Bronson

Blooded
Thx for the tips hippie I'm going to start on mine tomorrow I hope, I'm going to roll mine on the tray instead of rolling them on a table and picking them up,lee gave my the advice on this so I don't pinch and make them flat anywhere before I put them in the oven.

All right Lee, I read this entire thread and do not see the name of this stuff or where to get it. Are you holding out on us or am I blind? I tried some silicone a few years ago and the problem was glueing. It sound like you found the solution for that. Does this material come in black? I never really like the bake-n-bend stuff. It is a little stiff. Answers please.

made007

Elite Hunter
They look fantastic! My question is if your not using the compound fast, do you need to store it in a bag or something so it dont dry?

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
not here i the UK anyway, the temps are fairly cool, id guess storing in a cool place in a bag would not hurt though.

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
Just checking,with the pack sizes i send out, how many quills are you guys roughly getting out of them?

Bronson

Blooded
I got 50 out of the batch you gave mate,still have enough for more!! I found only taking a small pinch from the compound is fine, more you take out the fatter they become or you have roll them long 2 inch roll is about right I found..

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
wow.

I need to cut down on the pack sizes lol.

Naa im happy they are giving good amounts, that way if you loose any you have spares. :cool:

Bronson

Blooded
I'm glad I have plenty left over for when I get my elder from your first pull mate ;-)

Just at the airport bring on the 40 degree weather !!

Evilution

Young Blood
I had a go at baking some for the top of the closed mouth P2 you did for me Lee but they failed miserably think i might need to increase the temp a touch as i have a shitty oven