skin suit progress

S

Shataan

Well, here is the progress report, slow and such as it is. I finished the ducttape dummy after much trial and error, and had purchased a chest facade from Paul Roberts. Here they are together.

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs77&d=061...age007.jpg

Next, I looked high and low in my city to find a black bodysuit. Couldn`t find 1 at all. So I ebayed all the way to China for one. Here it is on the dummy.

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs101&d=06221&f=suit1.jpg

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs101&d=06221&f=suit2.jpg

Next, since Paul Roberts is 6 foot 4, and I am 5 foot 10... I had to alter his chest facade to fit me. Here is the facade on the floor, and beside it the piece I had to cut out.

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs101&d=06221&f=suit3.jpg

As you can see, I had to cut out 2+ inches of material in the midsection. And tweak around the bicep and under arm areas.

Last shot taken is of the modified facade on the dummy.

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs301&d=06221&f=suit4.jpg

So far so good it seems. Next I will be out looking for some DAP Weldwood, the green container type. It is for neoprene rubber. And I will use it to tack the facade onto the black bodysuit. Then the next move is the firm mask latex. But there ya go.

I was originally going to try the carved foam piece route. But I wanted the front area to look right and didn`t feel I could do it justice. I could have just bought a pre made skin, but felt I should be doing more hands on.... rather than just buying everything. So I went this route. Will it be successful? I have absolutely no clue. hehhhehhe But, even so, I am having fun in the attempt.

W

waynes manners

Looks good so far but you might have thought about getting a white or tan body suit to make the painting process go a bit easier. This way you would only have had the black facade to paint over to a lighter color.
Also, make sure that you wrap the dummy in a layer of two of cellophane like Saran Wrap first or you will have one hell of a time getting the suit off the mannequin. The weldwood will have a tendency to go through the undersuit and glue itself to the dummy.
Best of luck, it's looking like a fun project!

Shawn

S

Shataan

Well, it all has to be latexed. So I am hoping the latex`s lighter coloring helps. 6 coats has to help somewhat. ;p After that the skin needs the basic light colored base coat airbrushed on. Hopefully between the 2 (latex and base skin color) it will be ok . You are right tho. Had I been thinking, I maybe should have gotten a white chest facade and white bodysuit.

I was wondering bout how the glues would fare on the bodysuit. Thx for the heads up of the saranwrap. Much appreciated.

Thx for the comments all.

K

kithunter

nice foundation to start with..
i'm a huge believer of armor, seperate from the skin...looks more realistic and moves better when your walking..

only downside to it is just the weight.

AM

S

Savage Yautja

Here's a tip: Mix the base color acrylic paint you want into the latexand make sure it mixes in evenly for color. This will give you an even base color in the latex and saves you a step in painting No chance of the paint coming off because the latex is now pigmented as the base color. Then you can add your shading, shadows,spots and highlights. Suit is looking really nice.

A

alpha pred

Looks great so far..keep us posted!!! I always wanted to see how that skin would turn out on a pred costume. Good work man!

T

The Big Gunns

To the predmobile Robin!

Kidding. That suit in black just really looks like Bats to me. Looks good so far.

BTW... you are gonna latex over the muscles? I think it would tone down the Batman stylized muscle look alot if you did. If you deceide to do that and you want the chest, abs, and thighs to remain smooth, you may be able to thin down some latex with distilled water and shoot it through a spray gun. I havent tried this yet but I have heard of other doing this.
~Mel

S

Shataan

Thx all for the kind comments. Yes Mel. I am gonna take your idea of using a stipple sponge, and add texturing to the front muscle facade latexing. so it won`t have that "too smooth" look.

It`d be cool if someone here sold latex bumps individually. Then I could just add those here and there by dropping em onto the wet rolled on latex. hmmm Maybe I could make differing size bumps just by dropping liquid latex onto a wax paper sheet, and lett those dry??

Savage Yautja, thx for that latex coloring tip. I will look into that. ;0)

As well, the AVP armor I eventually procur for this suit will go quite a ways in hiding the Batlook, not to mention the paint will help alot too. lol The P.Roberts was the best I could get for a chest piece at that time, where the price was right. But a bit of smoke and mirrors will do wonders hopefully.

Thx again all. Hopefully in a month or so I can have this latexed and wearable. I have to add that I still may need to add 1/2" or 1" foam muscle pieces for the tricep, thigh rear area, and back possibly to even out the overall muscle look front to back. But that will be alot easier than the front WOULD have been. ;p

T

The Mortal Immortal

Looking really good Gary keep us posted on the updateds.

S

Savage Yautja

Shataan,

Here's a texture option you can try, I plan to use this technique myself when ever I get to this point. Coat the muscle layer with the latex as I described bot for the top layer just let the latex drip off your fingertips randomly to make lumpy spots and let them dry like this with the suit laid horizontal. Do the front half with smaller spots/lumps where you want them. and then the back with larger spots as it progresses around toward the back. Look at the pics of my sculpted feet to get an idea of the spots. I may do fewer on the chest itself like a gators belly an more around the back as it moves away from the center of the chest. I haven't decided yet which way I'll do it for certain. Could be bumps all the way around. Then shaded and highlighted. The latex will flatten out some when it hits the suit like pancake batter. These feet are a good 11" inside withoyt the clawed toes 12"long with!
[url="http://

S

SeaHunterr

I may have a backpiece that would go well with that suit....let me know if you're interested.

S

Shataan

I took SeaHunterr up on his offer. Finished latexing and was able to wrestle the skinsuit off my ducttape dummy today. Here is a coupla shots with me in the suit. You will note the front facade is black latex. I should have gotten it in normal skin colored latex. Doh. Np, I will make sure we get a good basecoat down.

Front/side

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs102&d=06266&f=front.jpg

Rear

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs302&d=06266&f=rear.jpg

Latexing is not as easy as I thought it was gonna be. But I got plenty of coats on. And the zipper works nice. And armor will be covering pretty well every area that is a tad suspect latex smoothnesswise. So... on with the next piece of the puzzle.

S

SeaHunterr

Looking good Gary, glad you could use the back piece.
I would go with a real nice base coat in latex(I think this would help smooth things out, and hides stuff) and a white/titan color/ink. Or maybe your base color and prosaide, lots of it! Prosaide stays sticky, so don't let your suit come in contact with anything, such as pet hair, or it will become hairy.

S

Shataan

Thx Gene. I am gonna put the skinsuit back on the dummy, and use a sponge as per Mels idea and cover the front facade piece. She suggested adding white to the latex. But I will start out with just the latex for a few coats and see what it does. Better complete coverage instead of just the 1 inch strip over the facade edges.

I was gonna do this anyways, but i have been talking bout this suit for so long, I wanted to actually try it on and snap a coupla pics off for a progress shot. For a 1st, I am very happy with it. And I know my buddies paint job , and the armor will look great when the time comes. Thx for your reply Sea, and the back piece. :0)

A

alkalilake

This is looking really good. I would'nt sweat the "Batman" look too much. Being that your going AVP, the armor covers so much up all that's really visible is the bottom of the stomach on the upper torso. What bio are you using, or are you using a bio? If you go Celtic, you don't need a cannon. That is if your going for a screen accurate Celtic.

J

JediUsurper

glad u rememberd to put a ass in the suit, or we coulda had x rated arse shot there m8e

stop wasting time posting and get this thing finished

S

Shataan

hehhhe No azzless Pred skin for me dudes. lol I stipple sponged the black front facade and sides as per Mels instructions. Dang dudes, the stipple sponge DOES indeed get rid of the flat look. A few more stipple coats and she is GtoG I think.

Then I gotta source hands and feet.

addendum:

Here is a closeup of the stippling effect

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs303&d=06271&f=suit6.jpg

It does very nicely get rid of the too flat look of the P Roberts front facade. Gives a very nice skin texture. Next, I am gonna look at the ADI book to see where the prominent skin and shoulder bumping etc is, and add those with clear silicone by hand. I came this far, might as well go all the way. I have the time so.......

Here is the shoulder bump addition start:

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs103&d=06...rbumps.jpg

more filled in:

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs303&d=06...ebumps.jpg

I will be adding to the legs and whole front area of the facade where applicable, and then some latex over the bumps. Should make the skin alot more interesting.

J

JediUsurper

Dude thats great work, nice to see progress ( love watching people work on such detail, gives me encouragement to do the same )
keep up with the pictures, by the time your finished hell only be wearing a loin cloth as youll wanna show off hisbumpy assed body

groan i have a hangover btw.