Skyrim Pepakura Ebony Dagger- Need Help :)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Talk' started by yanchus, Sep 6, 2017.

1. yanchus

yanchus Unblooded

Hey guys,

I am working on an Ebony Dagger from Skyrim, and I need some advice on how to strengthen the pepakura. I am putting a few coats of Mod Podge, followed by some coats of Gorilla Wood Glue. I don't need the thing to be combat ready, I just don't want it to feel so frail when holding it, especially because I want to paint it.

I have read some threads on pepakura, the expanding foam, this and that, but wanted some advice from some of the group members. Any pointers you can give would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

20170906_164542.jpg

Shogun, Jmen and Wreav like this.
  2. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

Jmen ! you do pep stuff

Jmen likes this.
  3. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Wreav any questions tomorrow. i cant even talk any more today) I will help.:)

Wreav and yanchus like this.
  4. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Ok, here we go. I dont actually understand about Mod Podge and Gorilla glue - did you already put them inside of the dagger or outside? This means a lot for understanding next steps.
    I can do little manual if you want with pictures. But only in few hours today. And i need to know about steps you already did.(y)

5. yanchus

yanchus Unblooded

I have put mod podge on the outside of the dagger- Its like a sealer/glue like substance. I have not filled it with anything. Is that something I should be doing is filling it? If so, what do you recommend and where do I buy it?
    Thanks for your help!

6. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Did your glue help? i think the method does not do much anything, if you did not use some heavy materials (epoxy \ polyester resin, ABS juice ect). i think the better way with the dagger. You should not make full filling, just roll up a bit of material inside and let it dry. You can use 2K liquide poliurethan with short life time. I cant reccomed to you some of them, because we use here some different materials. After it, you can take water and sand out all of the paper. But be carefull with edges and shapes - you can lose it wihout outside carcass. Here:
    Carcass
    Фото-0728.jpg Фото-0729.jpg
    And after water and little sanding
    Фото-0746.jpg Фото-0747.jpg
    Aks some other question, if you need.

yanchus likes this.
  7. yanchus

yanchus Unblooded

Thank you for your help guys! Very helpful. I was reading more about clear casting epoxy (from Michaels Canada) and was wondering if that is something I may be able to use. I need something with a bit of pot life so I have time to work with it. I am going to apply it using a foam or hair brush.
    Any thoughts on this technique- whether or not you think it will work.

Jmen likes this.
  8. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

What do you mean? What kind of technique is it?

9. yanchus

yanchus Unblooded

For my second Pepakura ever built- I decided to go with the Dragon Priest masks from Skyrim. Slowly learning different tricks, what to do, what not to do. I have been using hot glue, but was debating whether or not I should try contact cement. If you have tried it for this, let me know what you think.

I have given these pieces 2 coats of mod podge, and was going to try the wood glue method next. Any input on that one?

Also, I was looking at an Epoxy resin product they have at Michaels (a craft store) and was wondering how well it would work for the mask as well as the dagger.

20170908_221420.jpg 20170908_221549.jpg

10. yanchus

yanchus Unblooded

Instead of pouring it into a mould, I was wondering if I would be able to brush it on over the dagger, and the mask.

11. yanchus

yanchus Unblooded

I have put a few coats of mod podge on the mask- both inside and out. I have just put the first coat of wood glue (mixed with a little water to help it spread).

Will be putting on a few more coats before I add some paint. Looking at which color scheme I want to work with so I will keep you posted.

20170910_163358.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  12. yanchus

yanchus Unblooded

21733144_10159252542665246_216320212_n.jpg 21741504_10159252542480246_2108940933_n.jpg Finished painting! It is actually pretty sturdy (the pepkakura). I ended up doing a few coats of mod podge and then a few coats of wood glue. Much sturdier than I thought it would be.
    Next is to spray a clear coat of sealer to protect the colors and I am done.

Jmen likes this.
  13. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

It looos actually pretty good

yanchus likes this.
  14. yanchus

yanchus Unblooded

Thank you!