Slipping Predators the tongue...

P

pirkleations

Hey...

Nibsflibble and I are thinking of upgrading our Alien Head mechanics for a longer-lasting costume prop.

The current mechanism involves a 12V power source and a wall outlet powering a grooved rod which thrusts the tongue out of the mouth via a small RC motor. It operates using a Xin Qiang RC gun/trigger controller to thrust it out and then retract it.

We want to make it so that the wearer can simply push a concealed trigger button in their hand to activate the effect, rather than having a second person walk around with you to operate the Alien Tongue.(Not to mention the cable-actuated lips) Any mechanism needs to be able to fit
within a 4" by 4"(Tongue length not included) space mounted on top of the helmet that mounts to the Alien Head.

Any ideas on how we can do this with RC parts that can be powered and operated within the suit?

In the Off Topic category, Nibs has a couple of links to videos of the head in action.

DangerDavey

M

MoviesColin

A way I've always thought for the lips to move (or mouth) is cable-controlled.

4 wires connecting the corners of the lips (2 from the top lip, 2 from the bottom) to a jawstring type chin strap dealie (like the language?). A system of small pulleys makes the lips open when you open your mouth.

Whenever I get an alien head of my own I'll make it.

N

NibsFlibble

Colin, we've got the lips moving via cables and remote control. The mouth opens and closes with special chin strap (to a modified helmet), and a cable, allowing the wearer to easily control the mouth position.

The tongue is the part we're modifying to activate at the press-of-a-button (or micro-switches) under the costume at the finger tips, instead of the current remote control feature.

S

Savage Yautja

What about an RC motor (like a door lock motor) turning a gear wheel on it's spindle, that drives the gear rack forward and back. Just depends on how much travel you want the inner jaw to have. Power it with a rechargeable battery pack like power tools use. At least a 14 volt for longer life.

P

pirkleations

Savage,

I think the inner jaw mechanism already is set up in "rack and sprocket formation. There's a motor and housing that is shaped like a "T" and the rack has about 8" of movement back and forth when powered by 6 to 9 volts of charge.

The real trick is the power regulation and wiring/circuits. I blow that kind of stuff out faster than anything because I just hook power to switch to object without figuring in capacitors, resistors and current flow. I can't read circuit diagrams for my life. But pictures and names of the right items and how to connect them all together keep me from blowing out motors, lights and brain cells from thinking too hard!!

There needs to be a basic electronics book out there that is made for me. No words, just names, pictures and how everything hooks up together!!

DangerDavey

C

CyberPred

Do you care if the mouth is independant than the tongue? If not when you open the mouth you can use a microswitch to activate when the mouth oens to a certain level thus activating the microswitch activating the tongue.

Cary

P

pirkleations

Awesome idea, Cary!!

That would keep the wiring issues down to a minimum!!

I'll pass that idea on to Frank.

Thanks!

DangerDavey

M

MoviesColin

Thanks for posting those videos, now I at least have a vague idea of how to make animatronics.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CyberPred

Colin,

Its really not that hard once you understand the parts and how they work.

Cary