SO YOU WANT TO MAKE/BUY A PREDATOR SUIT? READ THIS!!!!!!

Nador

Young Blood
I already knew that it would be expensive... it's almost like every quality costumes ; You PAY for the QUALITY.  Or you buy professional products to make your own, Even mine is going to need lots of work on since it's aged....

Nefaz

Unblooded
Self proclaimed noob here, and I have got to say this thread is very helpful and informative - so thanks a lot! :D  

BlueGhostHunter

Unblooded
I'm new and I'm planning on making my entire suit with no time limit. Step by step and piece by piece. I understand what the Vet Hunters expectations are and I respect ther thoughts here on the lair. So far the few I talked to where very helpful in getting my research on the way. I've been reading a lot here since I joined and taking lots of notes of what to do and what not to do. But if it wasn't for The Hunters Lair and it's members sharing thier experience.I wouldn't know what to do. Thanks Hunters. Ray.

Scythius

Unblooded
I am a noob i just joined today after being informed by this group and welcomed by another member. il begin by saying is most noobs want a suit fast because they want to feel the power. i am a cosplayer and the feel you get when putting armor is like nothing you ever experienced before. With that said i prefer to take it slow and make it myself, im drawing blueprints to make MY very own Bio. Nothing ever seen in any movie/ comics.

in short, noobs and i include myself, take it easy the harder you work on your costume the more respect you will gain from the Vets.

Dita

Unblooded
This post has been very helpful! Thanks for taking the time out to post this. I have found a lot of helpful tutorials on the forum and am looking forward to posting the progress on my first predator suit. 

ErsahMajor

Unblooded
Thanks for the post as it has helped me understand more how this site and it's members work with their creations! Can't wait to start on a project with so much information available. I can't go wrong here! Being an artist I have always wanted to make my own costume, but my *skills* are lacking bigtime. I tried the Alien head once and got to about 20% before getting so frustrated I destroyed it! I think that's all going to change now.

Thanks again guys!

-Noob..:D

*edit: I tried to upload a couple Predator and Alien 3d renders but I guess I'll have to post more before I can do that. Kept getting an upload server error..:\

SwedePredator

Young Blood
I am very new to this site and as a member and I am trying to find the prices  of all that is needed in swedish currancy,I tried searching for different currancy on here but nothing could be found. as I am bad at numbers I really could use any help possible,

and I appologise if this post is in the wrong place

SwedePredator (aka) Daniel M

xdmray

Elite Hunter
SwedePredator said:
I am very new to this site and as a member and I am trying to find the prices  of all that is needed in swedish currancy,I tried searching for different currancy on here but nothing could be found. as I am bad at numbers I really could use any help possible,

and I appologise if this post is in the wrong place

SwedePredator (aka) Daniel M

Here Daniel.  just use this.  http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=currency+converter&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

looks like 1 US dollar equals 6.42 Krona.

jker3377

Unblooded
Thanks for this. It really needs to be said, and heard. Being a noob myself, I can see the relavance this time of year. I've been studying and saving for the past 3 years to go nuts on building the perfect Predator costume. I just happened to join this forum at this particular time because I'm finally starting to build it. Not for Halloween, but because I wanna. Lol. I've been a Predator nut since I first saw the movie at 9. I built my first predator costume for a costume parade around school in the 5th grade. My project now is for conventions and pure enjoyment, and annoying the crap out of my girlfriend. I love that I've found a place where I'm not seen as a wierdo :) I look forward to getting to know you all, and learning from the best!

Having a suit ready for whatever comes up is one of the best things you could have, except for maybe a batmobile. Shop around and find the parts you like best, my opinion invest in a quality mask and the rest will look great.

adamlucas64

Unblooded
Great info. Thanks for the break down. I now at least have an idea of how much I could ssh pending for a good predator costume. Thanks

RedMantis

Unblooded
Thanks all for the helpful information and links.   The original post is very helpful.  I am a noob to this, but have been a fan of Alien/Predator movies ever since they came out in the theaters.   I have a fascination with this topic.  At times I find myself daydreaming what life forms would like like from other parts of the universe.  We are not the only ones in the universe.    I want to learn more about it.   I would eventually like to buy a suit in the next year or so.   First I must do extensive research on  this topic.  Funding for my suit would be no problem.   From reading posts on your site, I can see the dedication how some of you have with this site.  Any help in future would be greatly appreciated.

Chasing Coyote

Unblooded
Kelz said:
I think the main trouble is that newcomers simply don't understand the time, effort and money the goes into creating a wearable pred.
anyone that has a very long history of making fine scale models, such as ships and dioramas will tell you the same it took me over 2 years and many hours
to build that damn ship(1:350 Yamoto) and a (1:350 USS Yorktown(Essex-Class)) :p lol unfortunately the pics i had of them are in stowage somewhere and hidden away i also helped someone with scratch build a 1:72 Scale USS Essex (CV-10) so as a noob to making a pred yes im new :love: but im no noob to scratch-building or detail the most important thing in any project is information and knowledge (y) and this place has a abudence of it if ppl come here thinking 1 month = suit send them where they can get that (n) but those that come here to learn will stay the course and build thier suit props ect will benefit the most and will stand apart :devil: just for those curious tho this is not the project i was involved in nor do i have anything to do with this picture here a example of what sort of work goes into a 1:72 scale carrier wich comes in at about 8 feet long

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Coyote

Unblooded
mjv305 said:
Call me Noob, Shmoob whatever. Search functon did not work. I want a suit for next year Halloween. 370 days. I want to buy a legit badass costume contest winning one (not going to be entering in costume contests though). Where do i begin?
il give you a bit of advice build one pred outfits are not just bought they are made some parts may be made but this site is full of info mate best reaction to a pred suit qustion comes from this answer "i built it my self" although in part its a white lie coz every tute and bit of info u learnt from other people sharing the same passion here at Hunters Lair one thing i will always stand by is this community tho i have not been signed here very long i have sat stalking in the shadows for quite some time its only now that i have decided it time to start building that its signup time  im still tossing up on buying my 1st mask or buying one making one allows me to help others but takes longer  and doesnt have the exact features i want buying one costs alot  but saves time at the mask alone unpainted ur looking at 200 easy sure $3000 off ebay for a outfit if u want that but cosplay is all about characters building your suit u become your suit and build its character yourself wich gives you more pride in it  if you really wana be a pred and want that awsome costume best place to be is right here building with everyone else :)

I am a "noob" and find this great advice and as a noob agree this should be the first page a newcomer to the site should see. I did plenty of research before even thinking of beginning this project and am very aware of the time and effort put into these suits by the people who make them. id also like to take the time to say how helpful and accommodating almost every pred head I have spoken to has been. great community of like minded friendly people and I hope to work my way up the ranks as it were to eventually becoming a full member. thanks all :)

Chasing Coyote

Unblooded
Pain Is MyPower said:
Ok hello i hope im am doing this right. I just joined the hunters lair last night. I have never joined a forum before so please bear with me on all this. First off let me say that all of the suits i have seen that have come from you guys or are bad with parts u guys have sold are absolutly beautiful. Ever since i have been a lilttle kind i always wanted one of these that looked this real but could never find out how to get one untill now. i came across a bunch of videos of you guys or videos that other ppl mention you guys on you tube. i would love to buy one of these suits but lol i work at a wallmart so as you can guess im poor. But i would like to see if there might be a way for me to get one from you guys maybe a peace at a time like the head and mask stuff and the just go from there. i dont know if thats possable. Anyway thank you for your time now i think i will look around this place and hope i can find my way because im pretty computer stupid. lol Thanks again
Hey pain im a student and unemployed  my best advice save for parts that you cant afford and build your own youll find that it grows its own character  theres somee awsome huntorials out there and trust me u only neeed about $200 to get you started and even thent  break that down to 60 here n there till you got everything you need  easy as pie bud

Erich43

Unblooded
Well this is my first post, so that makes me a n00b for sure.  But I am fully aware that it's gonna take time to do what I want to do: make a wearable, reusable, authentic as possible suit.  Having said that I'll say this:

I got into astrophotography a few years ago and tried to elicit info from various forums, sites, etc. and the "elitist" mentality was the largest detractor to an almost impossibly difficult hobby to teach myself.  I still do it, but that's another point...

I am aware of the difficulty I face.  My wife pokes fun at me because I try to do the most difficult things imaginable for hobbies, lol  But this is something I've wanted since the first Predator film came out (so am I really a n00b?), I just haven't ever had time.  And frankly, I have NO time right now, being a 1st year PA student.  But this is all part of the process for me, and at first glance, this forum seems an invaluable source of info.

So be kind to the n00b because we need your help, not all of us are looking for a perfect suit on Oct 30.  ;)

SwedePredator

Young Blood
been a member for some time now,yet i find it hard to find answers and topics about certain things,have started a budget build on suit with duct tape dummy etc
 I want advice and suggestions as it is important for me to get pointers.
I have tried talking to a few members about how they did their suit,but seems many just order stuff and have no clue about clay material and what not,I would welcome hunters/preds closer to Sweden as I am trying my best to do my pred from budget material

Draggindrew

Unblooded
Hello it's me the new noobie on the block!! I'm posting here because you have to start somewhere. I've seen predators at various cons that i've gone too and said "WOW"!! So that is why i have joined the "Predatorium" so i can be the one to get the "WOW"!! So yes i'm new to this but i'm not new to sci-fi and what i want and what i want is to make a predator!! I own all the predator movies, all the video games, dolls and alot of the comics. I know how long it takes to make a suit from talking to the predators at the cons. So i'm not here to buy one and jump in to this, i want to build my own and yes i've already been to the marketplace. I've contacted one of your members about a mask because i belive that would be the hardest piece for me to make!! Plus i need to start somewhere!! So yes some noobs can be pains in the a** , but some just want help and definitely will need it!! SO Hopefully somebody out there will be kind to the new "noobs" and lend a hand, advice, and support!! So thanks for your time and hopefully someday there will be a new "SAMURAI PREDATOR" stalking the cons one day!!!!