Sorry for using this board as a PM service, but...

S

siliconsara

This is directed towards you Mel.

I was looking up the recent pictures tagged "Predator" on deviantART, and I saw a photo of your Predator costume with the background photoshopped out of it. Here it is: www.deviantart.com/deviation/43889990/

Is this your devART account? If it's not, then please by all means report a violation, everyone else here can chip in as well and report the picture stolen. In the URL field of the violation report form, be sure to link to Mel's original picture, or to this forum where it can be seen that she is the owner of the suit and photo. Even a specific forum thread address will do.

On devART, when someone uploads a picture, it is automatically assumed that the uploader is the creator of the picture.

devART == photobucket

And, a question to everyone. What are your feelings on such things as this? I mean, if someone takes photos of your suit and posts them somewhere without giving you any sort of credit, or at least a link back to here or to your site or your photo gallery where they got it from, or even just a simple mention of your name.

Thanks for your time everyone.

-Sara

S

siliconsara

Just bumping this so it is at least on the front page. Pardons.

K

kithunter

once you put it on the net it becomes public domain no?

what i think is wrong is if someone takes your images and uses them for profit or to sell their own product, as is the case with many ebay auctions. But then again we're talking about the internet, some people have sinister intentions.

that's my .02 ...my ten is free

S

siliconsara

>>once you put it on the net it becomes public domain no?

That is a common misconception with the internet, and thats not the case at all. Here's an article that might be of interest to you, especially in your hobby: www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

I wouldn't be tattle tailing if I saw this on a photobucket account. Usually photobuckets, moreso private ones, are used mainly as online storage space. The person is not taking credit and there is no money involved. It's a gray area. Some artists and photographers even get on people's cases if they see their artwork in someone's photobucket account.

devART as I said is a site where if you upload a photo or picture, it is an automatic assumption that YOU created it. Either this person is trying to imply that Mel's costume is their's or they don't know that using devART as a photobucket is against their TOS...who knows. But people are going to get the wrong impression that Mel's suit belongs to this person, and I don't think Mel would want that.

If this person creditted Mel somehow, I wouldn't be tattling either. Credit goes a long way.

And I don't know if you noticed, but the person who uploaded the photo put a LICENSE on it. I would be fuming mad if that was my suit.

>>what i think is wrong is if someone takes your images and uses them for profit or to sell their own product, as is the case with many ebay auctions. But then again we're talking about the internet, some people have sinister intentions.

I guess this situation isn't much of a dent. True, theres no money involved in this, but I would hate for people to come upon that user's gallery, see Mel's suit and then praise that person for it.

T

The Big Gunns

I was sweating there for a sec Sara. I thought someone did something to my photo. Normally I would be upset about it. But I've seen people on my space using my pics. Usually I just do like you said and contact the person to tell them to credit me and they comply. Thanks for the heads up I will get in touch with them.

~Mel

S

siliconsara

I don't think you can see it, but they did edit the photo with photoshop to exclude the background, or they must of picked it up somewhere with the background already removed.

Like I said, devART is not MySpace or photobucket. When people post on devART, they are saying that the photo and/or the contents are theirs.

Your best bet is to report a policy violation. It's anonymous and you don't need to be logged in to do it.

T

The Big Gunns

I photoshopped the background.... its one of my pics. I sent a note to the person and contacted Deviant. Thanks again