specs on avp shuriken

• Thread starter BaitysBlacksmithing
  • Start date
B

BaitysBlacksmithing

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has dimensions for an AVP shuriken. I'd like to make a static one out of steel and see how it throws.

N

Nosfearatu

Sorry cant help you with dimensions, but from seeing the movie I can tell you it's probably too big to throw normally. I have some experience with throwing shuriken, and the predator one just seems to big. You could maybe try to make it smaller but it would have to be very precise because of the balance. If one 'point' is heavier than the others it simply will not 'fly'.

B

BaitysBlacksmithing

I figure they would be thrown kind of like a cross between a chakram and an axe. As its swung the fingers are rolled out putting a slight spin on it. Then with practice muscle memory remembers how much torque for x amount of spins for so much distance from the target. I'd seriously like to try it squirrel hunting.

N

Nosfearatu

You could, but you would have to give the squirrel a weapon too, or it is NOT an even match.

B

BaitysBlacksmithing

lol, you ever have on climb up your pants while on deerstand.....they can be mean. Actually your advice has been taken to heart, I may try to throw one but wouldn't advise it to just everybody. If it don't throw nice it can always be used as a slashing weapon.

N

Nosfearatu

I wouldnt know, I never hunt small animals (nor big ones for that matter), I mean what would you need a dead squirrel for? I assume not for the meat, and it's hardly any sport killing such a small animal. It's your choice ofcourse but please don't tell me it's just for "fun".
On with shuriken throwing, you could ofcourse throw it, but it will never be precise if it isnt balanced, it will always go in a different direction than you intended

B

BaitysBlacksmithing

lol of course its for meat, a nice fat, acorn fed grey squirrel makes a nice meal for one person. The only things I shoot that I don't eat are ones that mess with my cattle or chickens, and they don't go to waste either because they are usually fur bearers. I'm very careful not to wipe out any one species, there is a balance to maintain afterall. I rely on hunting for meat unless its a bad winter then I have the animals I raise to fall back on ( I keep cattle for loan collateral). As far as sport.....little buggers are small and fast, very hard to catch without a projectile weapon and hard to hit with one. The ones arround here aren't like the ones in towns, these get chased by wolves n such. I know not everybody hunts or likes it, just wanted to make the point that I'm not one of those thrill killer hunters, yeah its fun but only when its done right for the right reasons.
This shuriken is gonna take some math no doubt, gonna be a fun project though. After I make a static one I would like to make a fold up version, probly not exactly like the film version but as good as (normal physics) will allow.

N

Nosfearatu

Alright then, sorry I (mis)judged you so fast. I just really hate those thrill kill hunters
Maybe you can buy some normal shuriken somewhere (or order them online, shouldnt be a problem) and work further from those. See how they throw and so on. It's a cool idea, no doubt about that (nice challenge too!).
Keep us updated (or at least me)!

B

BaitysBlacksmithing

This project is still pending. If I can find enough interest and get the funding ahead I can do it. Until then its on the back burner.

S

seaxsniper

Anyway one of you talented people can make one that folds up as well? That would be a great prop!

B

BaitysBlacksmithing

The only way I foresee a folding version is if I leave one blade stick out and fold the other blades along side of it and slide the weapon in a sheath much like an oriental fan. From what I've heard the film scenes showing the folding and unfolding were CGI.

T

The Mortal Immortal

Iterfolding

PREDSTAR2.jpg

star3.jpg

Just when you think you have it all!!!!​

profile.jpg

S

Savage Yautja

I thought the center disc was 6" across with 7" or 8" blades.

T

The Mortal Immortal

You could make it 6" if you want. Nobody said it had to be perfect scale. The mold kit is only 4" and it seam small. I scaled it from a real picture and based it off the average hand size.

Just when you think you have it all!!!!​

profile.jpg

S

Savage Yautja

Here are some movie accurate pics to work from to determine scale.
First picture shows the steel insert being ground before being inserted.
[url="http://
Here is the complete prop.

Finally the movie used piece during filming. I have a pair of P2 hands and measuring the index finger to the base I got 5",add to that the fact that he's probably cradling the shuriken between his thumb and forefinger in the palm I'd say it's 6" across the diameter of the central disc.

T

The Mortal Immortal

The first picture is resin or fiberglass not metal.The last picture the shuriken is resting on the tip of the thumb. Thats what the ovial thumb grip is for. But like I said image is to scale, if you make the center 6" the blades will scale out with it. Its the same if you make it 2' the blades will scale with the picture.