Take one little 10 dollar Predator doll....

T

The Hopkinator

You know, the old ones that looked like this ..After some paint and a base they dont look too bad. Did this one for a friend. Im going to do another one and find some accurate netting.
Before...

After.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kithunter

Hop, that's really great...This is the reason why your my hero

AM

R

Ruffkintoy

I got the same toy sitting on my desk in gray primer waiting to be painted.

M

Maverick118

Damn now I hate you Hop that's a very nice paint job mate, I may too have to elevate you to hero status now

O

oobidoobiscoobydoobybenoobi

how do you do the water effect in the base???

T

The Hopkinator

Thank ya,, thank ya very much! Now Kit,, how can we be each others heroes?? It doesnt work,, it would cause like, some kinda space time collapse in the cosmic strata that would ultimately spell doom for us all...

The water effect is simple as this. Go get a small sheet of lexan, ( or glass from a wal-mart picture frame) . Paint underneath it brown. On the top, smear fiberglass around the edges, leaving your "puddle" in the middle...
Its MAGIC I TELL YA !!!

If you are gonna do yours like that Chuckie, use a razor and carefully trim off the stupid chest hair and head hair or whatever it is since it doesnt look right. Then ever so gently cut the teeth from underneath and pull them out so the jaws are open. Then get your lexan or glass frame as your base for the puddle and set his heel in the fiberglass when you do the "mud". I used a tiny paint brush for the detail,,too small to airbrush.

P

PredatoRob

Nicely done!! I too have that same toy waiting to be painted in my garage. Funny thing though, it was a different color out of the box. If I remember right it was part of an "Aliens Vs. Predator" 2-pack. I think I still have the Alien around here somewhere.

O

oobidoobiscoobydoobybenoobi

thanx for the awsome tip great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M

MoviesColin

I remember I wanted that toy so much. I wanted to 'fix them up'.

Really superb job there!

X

XactoHazzard

These were sculpted by the GREAT Randy Bowen, he is no stranger to sculpting the Predator. I think he was a victim of what we call in the art field "Designing by committee". This Pred suffers from a poor paint job and some "toy sculpting" issues that no longer happen since toy designing has been taken over by model sculptors.

If Randy did this same toy NOW, you wouldn't have to fix a thing

Hop, it looks awesome, and mine has been in my to do box for a long time... Looks like you were the right inspiration... Thanks!

Travis

M

Mr Fett

Wow, very impressive. I love it! I rebuilt some GI JOE figure parts back in the late 80s into a Predator, complete with dreads made from black Koosh-Ball rubber strands. Oh yeah.

T

The Hopkinator

Thanks guys but it was such a neat little toy all you have to do is paint it up//Thanks for that info on it Travis, I thought it had to be someone pretty talented. Post up on yours when you get him done//

P

pirkleations

The Hopkinator......turning the lame into the wild and untamed!!

Great re-paint job!!

Makes me sorry I sold mine in a garage sale many years ago.

DangerDavey

T

The Hopkinator

I dunno about all that,, but hey, Ill take it// If you want to get another one they pop up on Ebay all the time. Mine was 10 or 12 bucks . Then 3 dollars in paint , some fiberglass and a glass pane.

W

Wickedarmormaker

hey I got that same figure in my closet.I should really get to painting that sucker.

X

XactoHazzard

makes me want to send mine to Mel for a paint job

DangerDavey, I can get you one if you want

Travis

P

pirkleations

XactoHazzard,

So, what do I have to do....I mean kill, to get ahold of one again?

DangerDavey

T

The Hopkinator

Whoever decides to do one of these, dont get someone else to paint it up for you,, its stupid easy to do. Just go to wally world and get some of the 79 cent acrylic paints in the craft section, 3 brushes, fine tip, med, and regular.
Paint the skin a kind of fishbelly off whitish yellow, then from the sides come in with brown(burnt sienna) in a type camo, dotting pattern, then finish off making tiny camo / dotting with black. As far as the armor,,paint it flat black, let it dry, then take the med. brush, dip it in a steel or metal looking color, i used dazzling metallics shimmering silver,, dip the brush in, then wipe it across cardboard or something to take most of the paint off. When its almost all gone off the brush, gently brush it over the black armor. The effect is called dry brushing and the results are killer. Its a lot of fun,, and if you do screw it up, then get someone else to paint it for you.

X

XactoHazzard

Danger D,
A raw P1 cannon should cover it

No, just send me your shipping addy and I'll do the rest.

Travis