Tapering Dreads (Pre-Caulking Filler Rope)

B

blk n blu dream

I'm using the filler ropes to make my dreads, what is the method to taper them down at the ends? I'm sure there are more than one way, but I thought I should ask first.. lol

Thanks

S

Savage Yautja

OK, after making well over 1300 of these my method is to cut the foam to a point by holding the sissors against the end of the roll at a sharp angle. Cutting the length of the blade from the center of the dread and going around it about 8 cuts. If done right this should leave you with a chiseled looking point. Now take a heat gun and move it over the surface starting at the point moving evenly across the surface. As it reacts to the heat keep turning the foam back and forth rolling it on a clean dry surface, (laminate works great for this) The foam will shrink like heat shrink tubing. Don't heat it too much or it will shrivel like a raisin and be hard when cool. heat the entire surface of the dread for a uniform chicken skin like look to it. This will toughen the foam skin to prevent it from tearing easily. Quick, easy, dreadlocks Two ft. long is a good length for these when glued on the differnt heights that they are attached at help the dreads to look like they have varied lengths. I recommned 1" foam for most of the dreads. 5/8" diameter if you want a few smaller ones. if you don't want to bother with it contact me and I can do up a set for anyone E-mail me for the details. m_stempfly@hotmail.com

I'm happy to say I've never had any complaints from anyone about my dreads.

B

blk n blu dream

Ah, thanks for the tutorial.
It sounds simple enough.. ha ha

T

TK3467

I didnt even cut mine and they look ok. So that part is up to the maker I guess.

M

Miker Biker

for mine I used a belt sander which I flipped over so the belt was exposed upward, then loced the trigger so it stayed on and rolled the end of each piece of backer rod on the surface untill it was sanded down to a conical point, I found this also gave lots of flexibility for how far up you want to taper the dread, i do reccomend making a couple of test runs first so you're comfortable with it, oh and leather gloves are a good idea so you can get close to the surface without worrying about stripping off flesh.