The Calm (Predator and Terminator Fan Movie)

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
[URL="http://www.neverendingpictures.com/"]http://www.neverendingpictures.com/[/URL]

***SPOILERS***

Not too shabby for a fan made film. Not quite on par with BDE, but then I think we all hope for any fan film to be that good. Sandy set the bar and I doubt we will see any other fan film match that. I still have BDE on my PSP so I can watch it anytime I am out!

Here is a bit of a review of the highlights of the movie. These are points that the director needs to keep in mind for the next movie. Criticism is needed to point out the flaws and errors that could have been fixed. Keep in mind that these are my own opinions, but I feel that had these been corrected, the movie would have been a lot better.

Positive Aspects:
-excellent job portraying the Predator and Terminator
-great job on the Terminator. the mask was convincing and very well done. The hair left a bit to be desired (which could have been solved with a woman's touch) but the rest of the Terminator's look was perfect. Well done.
-excellent job on the authenticity of the Predator and Terminator costumes. The Terminator was spot-on and the Predator suit was awesome! I'd recognize Ron Hartman's Bio Helmet anywhere. Kudos for the money well spent on making the characters look good.

Negative Aspects:
-the blue light filter gets old very quickly. Different colored lighting could have been used to give it variety,
-you killed the main character. Now the audience hasn't got someone to root for. No one really cares if the Terminator or Predator dies, but yet you killed off a guy who apparently just lost his wife? If the audience doesn't empathize with at least one human character it takes away from the humanity and doesn't allow for us to want to root for the "good" guy to win. You risk losing the interest of the audience.
-the guy playing the Predator should have at least sat down and watched the first Predator movie to get an idea of how the Predator moves. He crouches and is very exact in his movements. The guy in he Pred suit was standing and not taking on any of the trademark Predator movements: cocking the head, quick jerky movements, crouching, stealthy, etc. This could have been solved by simply having the actor watch the first movie and skip to all the Predator parts.
-there were far too many spots that dragged on...and on...and on. The Predator isn't avoiding a T-Rex, so he doesn't have to stay still. He should be looking around and examining his environment. There are too many times in the movies where I felt as though there were sequences of the film could have been cut to get rid of the long drawn out situations. Example: the part where the camera is focused on the Terminator's chest wound. It was so slow that I thought we were waiting for something to come bursting out. Instead we see - nothing.
-the characters could have been a little more enthusiastic. Example: the Terminator sits up after shooting the Predator. I loved the shot of the Predator in the foreground and the Terminator in the background, but the Terminator should sit up very quickly - like a hydraulic. Instead he sits up sloooowly. It killed the moment.

Overall - it was a great portrayal of the Predator and Terminator. The sequences need to be faster and the dead spots need to be cut out to avoid losing your audience.

WarpedFX

Hunter
gotta check it out! thanks for the review.

a Pred's gotta ACT like a Pred! :p if he doesn't imho it kills the character and thus he just becomes a guy in a suit.

kithunter

Elite Hunter
just finished watching it, i must agreed with you jason on all the points in your review.

i would say skip part one, cause there is nothing there worth watching. overall it's a pretty cool little fan film, it has some moments of suspense.

props to the creator, anyone who takes the time and effort to do this deserves at least a nod.

******SPOILER*******

My only problem with the film and this is with all the predator films, WHY DOES THE PREDATOR ALWAYS DIE!!!!!???? Can't we win once? just once.....i swear i'm going to make a film and the hunters will decimate everything and everyone in sight.

andrew

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
lol - I agree Andrew! I hope in AVP2 the Pred lives, but in almost all the stories he dies with honor and with guns blazing. Most of the comic books kill him off too. I guess they just follow suit with what has been portrayed in the movies. It would be awesome to see one live tho...

carlart

Hunter
Oh man! Andy just wrecked it-----he gave away the ending! You're right, I am sick of our guy getting snuffed all the time! :p
carlart

I gotta say, for a fan film it was not bad. Part one was ok also. Decent filming. I would have like to see alot more action. The Terminator was actually pretty good. I give it a thumbs up for a fan film.

carlart

Hunter
Terminator- Pretty decent. Pred-OK, except for the breaking blades. Digital effects and music were good. Other than that, I file this one as "back to the drawing board".
carlart

ScottAS

Hunter
I thought it was very well done for someone to pull off with 1 other person in his living room. His directing, editing and sound were very good, Cinematography was the only weak point but I think he did it that way to hide the cameras flaws. I give it a.. :p

Faken

Hunter
It wasn't too bad... I just don't get he had such long black screen transitions between scenes and definitely too long on scenes. This was the opposite of SEED. SEED was just too jumpy and so much happens in a split second that you lose sense of it. This was the other way around... very long and drawn out for nothing. Arnie's face was brutal though... the mask thing just didn't work. Plus if you're going to walk around as arnie, you might want to pad up your legs a bit so you don't look an orange on a toothpick :p

I have mixed feelings over this.
While I admire the man for making it with just one person playing all three roles, what I still wondered all through the movie was this: What happened to the dog at the begining? Did he get killed? Is it running astra? did it get infected by aliens?

The T-850 mask was reasonalbe, but the close-ups of it freaked me out. (that's what I get for watching it in the dark)

I still give him credit for good effects and wardrobe, although I've seen better predators on here.

Mr Fett

Elite Hunter
My only problem with the film and this is with all the predator films, WHY DOES THE PREDATOR ALWAYS DIE!!!!!???? Can't we win once? just once.....i swear i'm going to make a film and the hunters will decimate everything and everyone in sight.

andrew
I've seen Preds used in a couple different Star Wars fan films, and they live. :)

Nagash

Blooded
I've seen Preds used in a couple different Star Wars fan films, and they live. :)
im just not that keen about Predator vs predator idea, but I guess he could have pulled it of, but he didn't.
I think the problem with this movie, is that its to looooong are boring and as you said, the predator dont even move as a predator should.
im not that happy about the bio mask.