The origin of Fan-made Predator Costumes

kithunter

Elite Hunter
i come in here and see new sculpts, bios, suits, suit componets, drawings, kits figures, designs the list is endless of what is made on this forum. and the information that is shared and in such a way as to not take it all so seriously but in fun and very inviting to anyone who wants to be a part of it..

that's how i feel anyhow.

not to say we don't get a whack job every now and then..... :p

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
Andrew's always been here...he's older than dirt! I like it when grandaddy Kithunter tells stories from the olden days. Keeding ;)

I remember meeting Faken back on the old Spawn.com forums. He went by Fakenrite and asked a whole bunch of questions about kits and their origins. Now hes got the largest Predator kit archive on the internet at predatorstuff.com!

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
What a lot of people don't know is that Predator prop collecting even 5 years ago was very limiting. Only a few Bios were made and suits were even more rare.

There was no list of sellers and there wasn't a lot of reference pictures to go by. If you were interested in something, you had to talk to people in chat (which I'm thankful that its still here) and/or send them a PM.

This place has certainly come a long way...all thanks to Dan and Andrew...

Guan Thwei

Elite Hunter
What a lot of people don't know is that Predator prop collecting even 5 years ago was very limiting. Only a few Bios were made and suits were even more rare.

There was no list of sellers and there wasn't a lot of reference pictures to go by. If you were interested in something, you had to talk to people in chat (which I'm thankful that its still here) and/or send them a PM.

This place has certainly come a long way...all thanks to Dan and Andrew...
I hear that Jason the only thing I could ever get was model kits, comics, or action figures I couldn't afford anything else

Wow interesting read! Cool topic btw! I feel kinda matrixy right now tho and kits like the oracle and a search for the one! Lol!
The lair has you....

hez

Hunter
Man, I remember hassling the A.S.A.P guy (who split from the RPF years ago) to put a Predator section on there. His response was that he didn't think it would generate much traffic or interest, so it never made it off the ground. The Lair now has more traffic in a day than that place does in a month.

Ice

Hunter
Remember when Andrew posted on the old lair how slow it use to be. Would only see one or two new posts here and their in a month. Also remember the bios that were only available at the time was TKs P1 bio and Wolfs P1 and King Jamies. Now we have a variety of bios now. Also remember the birth of the Porsche bio lol

scottyw

Unblooded
Of all of the threads i've read on these boards this one has given off the best sense of community, i feel like i'm sat round a camp fire with the greats!

Estelle

Hunter
Wow interesting read! Cool topic btw! I feel kinda matrixy right now tho and kits like the oracle and a search for the one! Lol!
The lair has you....
I agree with you, this is a nice topic; very informative and interesting. I think there should be a ‘stickied’ section dedicated to the Lair’s history. It could basically cover how the Lair began and include the Lair’s main ‘founding fathers’, as well as a little bit on the history of Predator costuming and prop collecting as a whole. Being on the Lair today would have you believe that pred collecting has been the sh@t for years and that there had always been a good number of sources from which collectors/costumers could acquire whatever they needed.
~Estelle

kithunter

Elite Hunter
Being on the Lair today would have you believe that pred collecting has been the sh@t for years
you would think right?...as jason has already stated dan was into the kits and i was into the suits and props...
we merged the best of both worlds.

give it up to some of our mods who have played a major role in the success of this place.

lets see: halo_pred
Robillicus
Mr Fett
meangene
predtom
Usurper
Bovine
Ptgreek
PredatrHuntr

some of these guys have been around as long as me.

MEANGENE83

Hunter
WOW!

I get an honorable mention!

That makes me feel so proud to be a member. I miss the good ole days. But that ain't to say these days are shabby!

I love this place, and this hobby. Addictive. I come and I go but I never stay away for long.

kithunter

Elite Hunter
dude your kidding right your like mr lost hunter himself...for those who don't know, gene took on the boar bio and made it all his...
talk of the founding fathers....you would be up there long before many others.

shame your meds wear off and you go back into the wilderness from time to time ;) but nothing but love for ya gene you were always good in keeping it real.

AM

BENSIN

Hunter
Every one should post up how they found The Lair. I was trying to get into the kits, but couldn't get any real solid information on them. I then saw that Dan posted pics of kits up on another forum I used to frequent, and PMed him about getting my hands on some kits. He got me the information, and that ultimately led me to The Lair. This wasn't too long ago either, even though it feels like it's been a long time, I've only been here since...early '07.

EDIT: I like how he's called 'THE ONE' - is this a nod to the Matrix in some way or did he literally go by the handle, 'THE ONE?'

Well, i've kept track of the lair since 2007 when AVPR was being released looking at all the incredible work that was being put into these fantastic suits, but never actually signed up as a member. Wishing to have a suit of my own (Wolf)
I saw some vids of comic con 08 and 09 and thought u know what? i really think i should join this place...so yeah i did. Without the lair this wouldn't of been possible! Thank u so much Kit.

Tatsu

Blooded
I came here due to a curiosity of looking for Behind the Scenes for things like Kevin Peter Hall or Ian Whyte goofing around off-screen in their suits, seeing what those guys were like when not in character. I eventually looked up Predator Suits on Bing & found Predator Stuff.com. I then found out about this place & Followed you guys from June until right before the release of Predators back in July. I read all the rules & was determined to be a good little Hunter. Gotta be the best forum I've ever joined & the nicest, for sure.

Ice

Hunter
PredSniper now hes predmaker gave me a link to the old lair. I was selling hoses and pred parts for the P1 bio Forget what was talked about but he gave the link to the old lair and said I might find this place very helpful and interesting.

Been here ever since.....