The Predator Costume Manual Guide (2017)

Discussion in 'Predator Costumes' started by Wreav, May 16, 2017.

1. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

2. Loktarr

Loktarr Unblooded

Ok, Guys and Gals.......
    What I am Hearing(reading) here is:
    I need to take a deep breath, and be ready for a long journey to achieve my dream of having a good suit.
    so far......
    I have picked up bits and pieces of an armour build, gotten tutorials on better looking armour pieces, and a temp head and bio.

and then I got to looking at making a DIY Suit........and fainted. LOL

looks like I will need to start by:
    • making a body mannakin 1st. ( is there a tutorial for that?)
    • find a COOL place to keep my "body" as I create it.....( I live in AZ......gonna be tough)
    and so begins the journey..........

3. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

On this thread there is a link to important DIY links. Start there.

Jmen likes this.
  4. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

UglyMF and Jmen like this.
  5. Isubomo

Isubomo Hunter

Looks perfect to me :) If I do find anything that might behandy, I'll definitely let you know :)

Jmen and LunaticNic like this.
  6. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

I was reading this through to make sure all the for/against points were covered. Even the most difficult of challenges that is faced by almost all suit owners. :rolleyes:
    It's a pinned post so it should help quiet a bit.

Jmen likes this.
  7. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Agreed with guys - this info is more then enough for beginners. also - for some of them it can be too much. But they need to understand how huge is any of predator projects.
    And Wreav, you know i am not suit owner... But my motorcycle is suit owner - does it count? :D:D:D

Wreav likes this.
  8. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

Jmen Predator suits are a completely different ball game and some can be ignorant towards this. I know I was when I started out, 3 years later I was humbled knowing how difficult things could be nonetheless this serves as an interesting manual guide post that could be referred to from time to time. I will revisit it when I can. Having suggestions helps :)

Jmen likes this.
  9. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

All done, i think.

10. Shogun

Shogun Blooded

Very important informations thank you soooooooo much Yautja brothers..... :D (y)

Mille2ej, BlackDog and Jmen like this.
  11. BlackDog

BlackDog Unblooded

Ditto! Invaluable info!! Great work Guys.

Mille2ej and Jmen like this.
  12. Mille2ej

Mille2ej Blooded

Now that I've completed a suit from scratch using a MR.I suit and foamies I would like to share my experience.

Cost:
    Starting out I thought I could make a complete suit with purchasing a latex head and bio for around $600 and i was way off! I made mistakes and needed to buy additional parts, airbrush paints add up quickly, and buckles straps velcro magnets all add up! I added up everything I could find invoices for and it came out to roughly $1400, this number does not include tools that I bought for this suit.

Tools:
    These are what tools I had to buy that I didn't already own, this isn't everything I used for the project:
    1. Heat Gun
    2. Glue Gun
    3. PVC pipe cutter
    4. Airbrush kit
    5. Pepakura viewer
    6. Paint Rollers
    7. Paint brushes
    8. Foam brushes
    9. Exacto Blades (Tons)

Time:
    I didn't track my time but I believe over the year it took to complete the suit I invested around 700 hours. I started in August 2016 and worked on it heavily for a few months, then decided I didn't like where it was going and gave up for about half a year. I got back into it mid 2017 with the goal of completing it by late September 2017. So don't give up!!! I remember the first time I painted a piece of armor and weathered it, it looked better that I could have hoped! That gave me the drive to work on the project heavily for half a year, and complete it!

Issues:
    With everything complete my only issue are the dreads. Since they are made from backer rod they are quite stiff. I knew this going in and the addition of PVC dread rings helps the movement but they are also heavy. The worst part is they restrict the movement of my head, I can probably only turn 45 degrees each way, using less dreads would have been better but then the look seems wrong to me. The whole suit design comes down to the cost of quality. The backer rod dreads with PVC rings only cost me around $50, but actual molded dreads would have looked and moved much better.

Hope this helps some people with their builds or thoughts they may have about building a Predator suit.

Shogun and Wreav like this.
  13. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

Jmen likes this.
  14. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

Anymore things to add guys? This will be a thread that new comers go to, for quick information as to what they are getting themselves into. Would like to tackle the prospect of ignorance to what exactly they will need to do or how much time and money they would be spending.

15. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

Will add a new section:
    ' Convention restrictions '
    If anyone wants to add to this proposed section please lend me your thoughts.

Jmen likes this.
  16. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

We have collection of pep files, but what about 3d printing section?

17. Wreav

Wreav Community Staff

New section to this thread. Not the forum.
    But anyway in response to you Jmen

1. Pepakura collection = Armory
    2. 3D Files/Printing section = In general has always been looked down upon. Members in the past have expressed their dislike of 3D files/3D Pritned items. Especially when the member didn't make it themselves. Also it's important to note that a large amount of this community put hard work and time into sculpting pieces. For someone to take the 'quick root' of simply downloading a free file and editing a few things here and there, printing it and claiming they did it can cause tensions. There is also difficulty in sourcing 3D files from their original author. Files in the past have been taken, sold and distributed without artists permission. Forums and groups have expressed their concern for example when that Baby Groot (download) was given out freely. There were hundreds of people who claimed it was there's and were mass producing and selling these. I doubt 3D files will ever gel with this community. That being said, if the member created the 3d file himself/herself, printed it and worked on it... that's completely fine. There's still alot of nitty gritty areas to get in to before 3D file section can be introduced.

Shogun likes this.
  18. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Gocha)

Shogun likes this.