The Predator Costume Manual Guide (2017)

Discussion in 'Predator Costumes' started by Wreav, May 16, 2017.

1. Wreav

Wreav Elite Hunter Community Staff

Money tends to fund absolutely everything especially with projects. It's required to be cold and rigid or people when money is at stake. Some have funnelled large sums of money just to see their project to completion. I think its paramount not to sugar coat anything and to be clear and to the point. Some have spent thousands and thousands without achieving what they wanted, me included. If I knew a fraction of what I did now when I started out, I would not have fallen into certain traps that I did. Spending excess amounts of money on things which were simple not needed. It's also important to maintain the fact that it is not cheap hobby. Being cold and rigid and to the point is necessary.

I'll rework the safety area when I have time.

LunaticNic likes this.
  2. Boelens79

Boelens79 Unblooded

I think the suit guide reads fairly well personally. Being a suit owner now and going back over the guide it is night and day. I don’t want something sugar coated especially for he amount of money I currently have invested in my suit. I want straight forward to the point examples and directions: don’t do this or it will be screwed! Like I said reading it before I took the plunge I had no real idea what I was expecting. The warning could be added, but not to scare away future preds. I thought putting the suit on was gonna be super comfortable and I could dance around lol. In reality it’s quite uncomfortable and incredibly draining for the body and mind to endure anything over several hours. That should be outlined for people. It’s amazing to transform into the character, but caution should be advices for prolonged duration and activities not just for physical well being but the safety of the suit aswell. Just my two cents lol

3. yoslvr442

yoslvr442 Blooded

As a former owner who is getting back into the game I thought it was informational. Good read as well.

Wreav likes this.
  4. Wreav

yoslvr442 thanks, for what it's worth I tried to single out the key points I will edit things accordingly when I have time. My schedule has just been very busy. I'll try dedicating sometime to re-vamp this.

LunaticNic likes this.
  5. CrimsonPredator

CrimsonPredator Unblooded

Reading through all of this I am now having mixed feelings about attempting a full suit. I remember when I was around 12 I stumbled across the Hunters Laid and told my parents I wanted to make a Predator costume (Which I never did thank god at that age) Now that I am older and currently on a college film and tv course learning how to make props and use makeup / prosthetics, to which I discovered the site again and my interest in Predators came back. Though I am having doubts on if I will make a full suit that wont be just a cracked up wreck.... Thanks for this guide though, as much as I like to think with a positive mindset its good to have a good reign into reality to see what is actually possible. Now thinking its probably best to just work on a bio-mask first for fun slowly in my spare time and see how it will go after that considering how busy I am with said college course, money and time are a little scarce.

LunaticNic likes this.
  6. Wreav

CrimsonPredator when I first came to the Lair, I ended up spending far too much... on excessive amounts of materials and really having no self control over what I purchased. Of course, over time that changed and I became far more conservative about my spending habits. Many opt to do various different things when starting their suit. The bio mask/head are usually the first things people attempt and with good reason... Always maintain projects as if its a hobby, it helps keep your mind frame focused on other things rather than spending time and energy on Predator things.

Shogun likes this.
  7. CrimsonPredator

CrimsonPredator Unblooded

Wreav A problem I have had for many years now is I tend to flip from build to build. Starts off with me finding something I really like or looking back into something I like, would research into it as much as possible (Including any background writing or if others have built a costume/prop of it) make plans to build it and start it. Around when I make my plans real life pulls me away from it, something else takes my interest or when I start it I lose heart over something stupid. Its a habit that I despise and I hope to dash out with something like this. I got a lot of Warhammer to work with alongside college and this if I can shoulder it all and have fun with it. I went through a Transformers phase, Daleks phase (Which has repeated itself multiple times...) Star Wars phase and now I have come back to the Predator phase which was arguably the thing that started off this cycle when I was 12 seeing an old Youtube video of a massive group of Predators at San Diego comic con :) .

Shogun likes this.
  8. BuckeyeStalker

BuckeyeStalker Blooded

Good info here. I'm fairly new to this, have dumped almost $1000 into it since last year. It's a labor of love.

Shogun likes this.
  9. sonbill

sonbill Unblooded

thanks for all the info.. cant wait to start my one !!:)

10. UglyMF

UglyMF Blooded

This question may be better placed somewhere else, but in terms of taking care of your suit, how is it best to pack it for travelling?
    I'm thinking specifically for aircraft travel - to interstate conventions or photoshoots or whatever.
    Is there a recommended packing material or type of box/case or tips on how best to protect it?

11. UglyMF

UglyMF Blooded

And by the way, I keep referring back to this guide for my maintenance tips - really helpful thanks!

12. Wreav

UglyMF search Heavy Duty Storage Trunk/Box on Wheels people usually select a 100 litre - 150 litre box. For air travel the usual legal limit is around 32kg - so around 70lb. Make sure this doesn't exceed said amount. Upholstery foam around the corners of the trunk so the suit doesn't get damaged. 542-6929_PI_TPS2709828.jpg

Superman likes this.
  13. BuckeyeStalker

BuckeyeStalker Blooded

Or, just wear your suit on the plane.. lol

monkey5150, Superman and UglyMF like this.