The Predator

Discussion in 'General Predator Discussion' started by Vebo1, May 10, 2018.

1. PredatorSpirit

PredatorSpirit Blooded

LunaticNic likes this.
  2. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

LOL I thought I saw rotten tomatoes display it as 64% fresh just yesterday. That was one rapid drop!

PredatorSpirit likes this.
  3. PredatorSpirit

PredatorSpirit Blooded

34% now

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    LunaticNic likes this.
  4. Tallon

Tallon Blooded

I went to see it, the knowledge of how the ending plays out long scarred in my head. Didn't make it any less insluting thouhg. It was funny in spots though, and I like the two hunters. 6/10. At best.

Shogun and LunaticNic like this.
  5. Wreav

Wreav Elite Hunter Community Staff

I gave it a 5/10 that was me being generous. It's still better than Alien Covenant. I wasn't expecting much of The Predator... we can discuss further once more people have seen the film.

LunaticNic likes this.
  6. BENSIN

BENSIN Hunter

Looks like we were on the money to shat all over this film before it even came out. I don't know about you guys, but I'm 4/4 calling it before the movies even dropped. Eat my *, shane.

Tallon and LunaticNic like this.
  7. TRI LASER

TRI LASER Hunter

It was shockingly bad. Basically a comedy. I just kept thinking this is the Robocop 3 of the predator series. Tongue in cheek moments coupled with music that seemed like it was straight out of independence day or Transformers. The loonies were i have to say actually funny, there was some LOL moments. They should have their own stand alone movie. But for a Predator film it just didn't work. Made it so hard to take the rest of the film seriously. The average moviegoer will enjoy it, they will think its a fun, action packed popcorn flick. But to true predator fans it will just infuriate you. The ending just made me want to shoot myself. Biggest face palm in history. * you Shane black. :mad:(n)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  8. PredatorSpirit

PredatorSpirit Blooded

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    LunaticNic likes this.
  9. NeoKazama

NeoKazama Hunter

Wow! How do i start this.

I been very open minded and looking forward to watch The Predator. I wasn't expecting to be an excellent movie but is hard to discribe what i feel like right now.

Without any spoilers, i have to say that this has to be the biggest pile of * movie i've ever seen. Not exagerating at all. How did Shane Black had the balls to show this abomination of a movie. I always thought in the Predator Saga that AvPR was the worse of all of them (imho) but * NO! Shane Black's film is the king of turds.
    Was the guy who erased Superman's mustache doing the CGI on this movie???

I am not gonna tell any of you not to watch it, all im gonna say is be prepared for the biggest disappointment and be a witness of how much of a moron is SB for giving this to us, the fans.

-Chris

10. johnny09

johnny09 Unblooded

I would say a predator comedy 5/10, the ending was something I cant forget - Predator Killer, really? Who next, Iron man, Spider man or maybe Batman will shop up? To much CGI and a fast ending were the big Predator was killed... New cool stuff was added... A movie that you need to see!

Red2 likes this.
  11. TRI LASER

TRI LASER Hunter

Thank you NeoKazama. I i'm just blown away by how many ppl like this film. Like... how can you?? really? I'm sorry but no TRUE predator fan would like this film. Nuff said.

LunaticNic likes this.
  12. Red2

Red2 Blooded

Watched late last night. Avoided all buzz, hype, spoilers, everything.

I did a good job apparently cause I had no idea it was going to be a real stinker.

Less disappointed that it was a poorly written film, but more upset that there were some decent ideas that they could've jumped on and expanded.

Movie was silly. Wasted opportunity yet again.

TRI LASER and LunaticNic like this.
  13. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

To anyone who rightly disliked it.

download (1).jpeg

14. TRI LASER

TRI LASER Hunter

Its been 2 days and i'm still seething lol. I think it keeps getting ignited by seeing people saying it was amazing, or the best predator film since the first. I just don't get it. Like the people saying just shut up and enjoy it because its a predator film. That's like saying shut up and enjoy batman and robin because its got batman in it. :cautious:

Red2 and LunaticNic like this.
  15. Red2

Red2 Blooded

I haven't been anywhere yet that people were loving it. Any positives so far were, no expectations going in and didn't think it was horrible.

The more I think about it. The more incensed I get.

LunaticNic likes this.
  16. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

I figured that was going to happen though (some people loving it despite the massive flaws). I'm half way convinced some people in the "fandom" would be happy/satisfied with a Predator hunting Teletubbies because "be happy they are giving us more Predator!" I hate all the pred comics I've read so far, so I also can't comprehend why it allegedly being like the "bad-blood-comic" is a good thing ... *sigh*

I'm thinking the reason some call it the best one since the first, is because the action, and CGI are enough to make it a "good" popcorn flick where you turn your brain off.

TRI LASER likes this.
  17. TRI LASER

TRI LASER Hunter

I never got into any of the predator universe stuff, it just takes it to far. Its all about the films for me. Yes when you look at it, its just a popcorn action flick, enough to appease the average moviegoer. Yes it had gore, and yes it has the predator doing predator type stuff, but the rest of the film rendered it all moot. There was no horror, or suspense. It was just jokes jokes jokes, which is not what a predator movie is about.

18. BENSIN

BENSIN Hunter

LMAO at any one that even thought this was worth giving a chance, I'm feeling really justified right now and I'm not the only one. You don't need to see this movie to know it's a giant piece of *. I don't hear (read) any laughing now.

There are still people on this forum that will moan "OMG YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT GIVE IT A CHANCE YOU JERK." If you're paying money to see this movie, you are supporting the people who made it, they don't give a * if you liked it or not, they have your money and that tells them to make more of this garbage.

You would think that ONE LOOK at this photo (among others) would make it clear to people that this movie was going to suck a FAT one, but delusion is strong. HAPPY FRIDAY, everyone!

Shane Black's The Predator
    163384.jpg

19. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Well "The Predator" has reached and stood still at a deserving 34% rotten tomato (51% audience score). I guess the only thing that saved it from the 11% of AvP:R were the characters and action.

If the life of the Franchise wasn't somewhat at stake, I'd just laugh at all these missteps since the original. I hear way too many people saying nothing could ever come close to it, but imho it just comes down to the film-makers since then not taking a look at analyzing what it is that makes the first one great. Until you have that down to a near sience it makes no sense to tack on extra content, because it won't be in the same vein as the movie we all love. Predators was a rehashing of the first one with noticeable drawbacks (yes BENSIN, I hear you and you make some good points lol) but it's been the best film since P2 (and in many ways is superior to p2 imo.).
    And I think the studio, or shane, or both looked at that and tried to "evolve" it from Predators instead of P1 and some of P2 (imo all the second one got right was the design and behavior of the pred ... and a movie needs more than that).

So now we have a rehashing of Predators, in the lame setting of AvP:R i.e. they have no clue what to do with the IP.

20. Tallon

Tallon Blooded

Well, everyone else's taken a massive dump on the * pile, so who am I to refuse?

I, being an infallible optimist, had...hopes for the movie, and I'd sincerely hoped that the rumors about the autistic kid being a 'true warrior' was a load of *. However, hearing things like; 'Autism is the next evolutionary level,' and * like that proves conclusively that the PC brigade have finally managed to ruin pretty much everything.

To clarify; I do NOT have any problem with people being autistic, LGBT or whatever. But what really * me off is that people feel the need to shoehorn it into everything in every corner of our culture. If someone had said in 1987 that the Predator movie in 2018 would feature an autistic kid being proclaimed by a 9-ft super killer alien hunter monster thing as the ultimate warrior, they would have thought that person was probably high.

What made Predator great was that it combined OTT macho silliness with a genuine, intense and * entertaining film. The true problem lies not entirely with Shane Black, though his hands were hardly tied, but with the fact that times are changing; in many ways for the worst, and, sadly, Predator has lost its place in our 'advanced' and downright suffocatingly politically correct era. The kind of macho swagger in Predator, the magic mojo that made it so * good, has been thrown in the trash by a load of board execs that just want money.

Another example of a cornerstone franchise about to get the chop is that of James Bond; a truly iconic piece of film history, possibly (please don't kill me) more so that Predator. But Bond's way of life, the drinks, the action, the girls in particular, has been deemed sexist and prehistoric. While there are concessions and reason to some of this argument, the fact remains that it, tragically, isn't allowed to thrive any more because it's not what the PC brigade deem to be right (although ironically this goes against their values of equality).

But, I digress.The point I'm trying to make is that The Predator could never really have been what we wanted to see, not only because FOX doesn't care about the fans anymore, but also that the old-schooliness of Predator cannot be redone in 2018, for reasons previously stated.

Although the Predator did have a few fun moments and I did like the tie-ins a lot, as there really hasn't been enough of that in the franchise, I believe that the film's ultimate failure was inevitable, and even with the most passionate director at the helm, the magic was not meant to be.

* I need to get a life.

Dropthehammer and LunaticNic like this.
  21. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

I agree with most of what you said, though I remain optimistic that it hasn't lost its place in society/culture. A group of (ACTUALLY BELIEVABLE) grizzled vets could still hold up to the macho charm of the p1 group (with *some* retooling necessary for "modern" times).

I guess what it comes down to is the first movie was a more believable story with a believable group of elite soldiers.
    "The Predator" turned everything up to 11 and exchanged a believable story and characters for (ridiculous) "fun" in all areas.

Vebo1 likes this.
  22. Tallon

Tallon Blooded

Exactly. There's a huge gap in realism between a group of soldiers being hunted by an alien warrior than aliens coming to earth to get the DNA of an autistic child. That's more than a little silly.

LunaticNic likes this.
  23. Tallon

Tallon Blooded

Well, it's the fans like us that keep it alive!

LunaticNic likes this.
  24. Shogun

Shogun Hunter

It was an AWESOME movie ..... ok ok there was some CGI but i guess that being ''nostalgic'' isnt helping at all these days ;)... one thing i did not heard from you guys is seeing Arnold return for at least a scene in this movie...

25. Dropthehammer

Dropthehammer Unblooded

So I just got out from watching this and yes it has truly ventured far far away from a HORROR film. It just made too many jumps for me, suddenly somehow everyone knows exactly what's going on and what the back story is to all this?! The ending though...I... I just can't. Aside from that, in just going to second what everyone else has already touched on. :mad:

Shogun and LunaticNic like this.