The Topknot Build. New photos of torso life cast build. 05/07/2015

Discussion in 'Predator Costumes' started by alphatech686, May 2, 2013.

1. A Hunters Moon

A Hunters Moon Hunter

That mold looks insane. I don't envy the cleanup on that sucker. Great work!

2. AnnaStasia84

AnnaStasia84 Young Blood

That looks incredible! Can't wait to see the finished product. Are you casting it in silicone instead of latex? If so, doubly excited because that's what I'll have to do if I ever make a mask (allergic to latex).

3. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

This is really a phenomenal mask. I can not wait to see it once it is cast, and even more excited for the paint job!

4. guannihkoute

guannihkoute Unblooded

Holy *, can't wait to see it when it's done! It looks amazing.

5. alphatech686

alphatech686 Hunter

Thanks everyone. I've been spending the last few days cleaning out the clay. I have no real updates. I did order the paint. I am trying FuseFX paints. They are expensive but the colors are premixed and mixing colors scares the crap out of me. I am waiting to order the silicone (EchoFlex 20) until I get all the clay out , weigh it, and figure out the volume I will need. I am getting excited though. I have a few air pockets to fix in the mouth area. I will get some photos up soon.

6. ptgreek

ptgreek Elite Hunter

looks great bro. I forgot..are you putting in the pour spout on top ..or are you injecting through the core? dont forget to drill your bleeder holes through the negative ( high points for air bubbles ..then all the way up to track your fill. use klean clay to jam up the bleeders once they start to leak )

7. Uhlakk

Uhlakk Hunter

Jeff, I am following this a long time now and you impress me again and again, every time.
    Thanks for sharing this!
    :)

8. alphatech686

alphatech686 Hunter

Thanks everyone. I'm getting ready to order the silicone today. According to the weight of the clay I removed calculated by water displacement I will need around 160 oz. That seams like a lot but it is what it is. As soon as I get the paint I'm going to pour some silicone into the top of the head mold and do a little practice painting on that. I am a very anxious about the painting aspect.
    Here are a photos of the cleaned out molds.
    008_zpsiubvcpji.jpg
    007_zpsr4i2d46s.jpg
    006_zpsr8vt0cdw.jpg

I cast this little plug in place when I layed up the mold. It is bendable sculpy and pops into place very nicely. It is to make the hole for the bone above the eye.
    I decided to do it and I will probably were a blind contact in that eye.
    004_zps4anvpcmw.jpg
    005_zpssloywz3p.jpg

I also decided to redo these mandible plugs with magnets. I had them pinned for the sculpt but I think they will need to come apart easier when I demold so this was the solution.
    001_zpsdmizmrlc.jpg
    003_zpsl20e7vqz.jpg
    002_zps7wxfnnzu.jpg
    It's getting very close to go time.

CoolleKotten, Vaurelius and DAVIDYR1 like this.
  9. Vaurelius

Vaurelius Unblooded

This is just amazing, can't wait to see it all finished.

10. alphatech686

alphatech686 Hunter

Just a couple of pictures of the practice piece I just poured. Echo Flex 20 is awesome.
    001_zpsafa9h2s1.jpg
    002_zpsntd1rom2.jpg
    Tomorrow I play with the paint.

11. Predasaurus

Predasaurus Blooded

I can't wait to see the whole cast! And I was wondering, are you gonna be using 20 for the whole suit, or a different silicone/latex for the body? Thanks

Eli

12. Lowdmekon

Lowdmekon Hunter

I say no more...........

image.jpg

Shogun and Uhlakk like this.
  13. alphatech686

alphatech686 Hunter

I am going to use the 20 on the rest of the suit. I didn't get a chance to practice my painting yesterday as I had to install a new water heater. It's always something. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon. I just ordered the silicone today. Crap I might actually finish this thing.

14. alphatech686

alphatech686 Hunter

I spent the last couple of days preparing the mold for pour. Here are the photos.
    I decided to tilt this thing forward on the face to pour it. I figured that would keep most defects in the pour to the back of the head.
    I am drilling the holes for the pour tube and I decided to put a second one either for pouring or for air release. I'm playing this by ear.
    001_zps6f862cix.jpg

Here is the piece with the tubes in place.
    003_zpsvl72uwae.jpg

Next I started to assemble the mold around the plug.
    005_zpsrshydqyc.jpg
    006_zpsyzuzerdb.jpg
    That white putty you see is where I had to repair air bubbles.
    007_zpstebftahs.jpg
    008_zpsvs0smtri.jpg
    I did plug those little hole with clay where I had the mandible pieces pinned on.

You can see how the real tusks fit right where the silicone ones were.
    009_zpswit5tdkb.jpg
    010_zpsfcct7yma.jpg
    011_zpsottdaabb.jpg
    012_zpsztmotlop.jpg

I ended up having to take it back apart right here as I discovered the top had to go on first.
    I decided to take a couple more pictures so you can see how the core looks in the mold.
    020_zpsr1ee99aa.jpg
    019_zps4fquwkyh.jpg
    014_zpsxgondhla.jpg
    I stuffed clay all around those tusks to stop any silicone leakage.
    015_zpsosggbqnc.jpg
    017_zps00wep0fh.jpg
    016_zpspjwalugb.jpg
    I was really happy with how it went back together. At this point I stuffed all the pry points with clay and hot glued all the edges.
    023_zpska6lxx0s.jpg
    022_zpsjnijxbuk.jpg
    024_zpsyrzhxmwd.jpg
    There's that line where I had to cut the mold. The hot glue worked great in filling it.

15. alphatech686

alphatech686 Hunter

I poured it a couple of hours ago. You can see the clay plugging the seep holes.
    025_zpsnozvp2wo.jpg

I calculated it would take 160 oz's. It took around 170. You can see there was very little waste.
    026_zpsdbu9beye.jpg
    027_zpsbmkcraxr.jpg

Later this afternoon I will attempt to demold it. I have no idea what I will find in there. Wish me luck

LunaticNic and Vaurelius like this.
  16. Lowdmekon

Lowdmekon Hunter

All the luck in world fella, I hope this works out for you, I say everytime I look at your thread, truly epic. Plus I can't wait to see this mask finished let alone your whole suit.

Need more pics.......

17. pred666pain666

pred666pain666 Elite Hunter

very exciting to see the process

18. troggs

troggs Hunter

Brilliant work as usual, really looking forward to seeing the demould, hope it goes well for you.

19. alphatech686

alphatech686 Hunter

Demolding went very well. Only a couple air bubbles on the back of the neck. Now I have to get right at the seams.
    I should have listened to ptgreek who advised me to tint the silicone. As I see it now he was right. I guess it just means more paint.
    028_zps5f0ix2n1.jpg
    029_zpsixygxd6n.jpg
    030_zpsd0ishmlv.jpg
    031_zpszt8dvnlq.jpg
    032_zpsj0jwa0bk.jpg
    034_zps3jawsaqy.jpg
    035_zpse3m8grur.jpg
    037_zps6a3hpijo.jpg
    038_zpsny6w5sl5.jpg
    The first time I got to see the mouth open. Time to get back to work.

Vaurelius and DAVIDYR1 like this.
  20. Lowdmekon

Lowdmekon Hunter

Pure joyousness !!!! Can't wait to see you get some paint on it.

21. Maniak

Maniak Blooded

Sweeeeeeet lol im ready to see some paint!! haha

22. ptgreek

ptgreek Elite Hunter

Looks awesome bro.. The tint also helps in seaming and patching. Mix A + B silicone in small batch.. Thicken with cabosil and you are good to start patching .. Use naphtha and a small sponge to smooth and texture

23. ThePriest

ThePriest Blooded

don't sweat it on the tinting the base coat.
    On a big piece like that and it being the first one this will give you time getting used to pianting with silicone and how the colors work. * nice work on the mold you wave convinced me to make the mold in several pieces on my next one. Did your mouth open like you wanted it to? and and is your harness gonna fit inside the silicone? i know you wanna put it on don't ya... LOL

24. evilpred

evilpred Blooded

19pages of pure awesomeness!!!!! Great job cant wait on the paint !

25. AnnaStasia84

AnnaStasia84 Young Blood

This looks amazing!