The Topknot Build. New photos of torso life cast build. 05/07/2015

munson

Hunter
Many thanks for the detailed pics of the process.  Greatly appreciated and I anticipate the finished mold!
 
Thanks guys. I'm trying to get back into the groove. I laid up the last 2 layers of glass on the rim this morning. While I waited for that to cure I thought I would be productive so I poured 4 of the small topknot dreads that I was somehow short. I'm very proud of myself as I also used my wood burner to seam all 17. It was 79 degrees today so I also sprayed them with Plasti-dip.I hate this small stuff. Baby steps.
002_zpstbingckx.jpg

005_zpszev9embp.jpg


I was able to clean up the mold also. I am happy with the results so far. I did 2 coats of red, 2 layers of 2oz. cloth, a 1/4 to 1/2 inch layer Free Form Air, 2 layers of 5oz. cloth, and finally 4 extra layers of 5oz. cloth on the rim. I'm crossing my fingers.
007_zpsdyff5nca.jpg

008_zpsaqf68lbl.jpg

011_zpspajnhd9g.jpg

012_zpsjbh6wt0k.jpg


On to the other side. I'm saving the funnest part last.
 
I'm very proud of myself I actually got right after the other side of the face. Here are just a few photos.
First I trimmed and Plasti-coated these tiny dreads.
004_zpss9e6vihq.jpg


Prepping the sculpt for epoxy.
005_zpsfjdqv4ft.jpg

001_zpsedrxbymt.jpg


My Harbor Freight 12 dollar PVA sprayer.
002_zpsrtqt322k.jpg

003_zps3h4ylvcr.jpg

006_zpsej9k3vqw.jpg


2 coats of Smooth on Red.
007_zpst81poafa.jpg


2 coats of epoxy with 2oz. cloth.
008_zpslefz5qrt.jpg


1 coat of Free form Air.
009_zpsaznzkr2g.jpg

010_zpsg3943gvo.jpg

That's all for now.
 
Alright I've been working like a dog for the last few days trying to get this mold done. Thank the Lord the fiberglassing is done.
Tomorrow I'll clean it up and drill the bolt holes the hopefully open it up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If ya'll don't hear from me after tomorrow you will know the mold locked up and I gave up. Ok, I probably wouldn't give up. Here's the top half.
002_zpskmhoqpgd.jpg

003_zpsk8zt0yhi.jpg

005_zpsplotnlw3.jpg

007_zpsy7hboitv.jpg

008_zpsdolboqdd.jpg

009_zpsa1qdydn2.jpg

010_zpsyjs1s2ke.jpg

013_zpsvmsdkqca.jpg

012_zpskjd6wxzr.jpg

011_zpssutgsyye.jpg

Time for a nap.
 
Things went well today. I trimmed the top piece, drilled the bolt holes, and popped the mold. Everything came right apart except the top piece. I ended up having to cut it which ended up working very nicely. I thought I had more clay on those 2 top ridges but in the end the piece just wouldn't
go past them. I should have known better. The surface looks great. I can't see one air bubble or flaw. I guess I will have to order the silicone now. I was actually waiting encase I had a failure. That's not very positive thinking.
001_zpstpc0uu1x.jpg

002_zpsnf7d73xq.jpg

003_zpscjhce9o3.jpg

004_zpspdjpfff8.jpg

006_zpsurjpcnky.jpg


This is the inside of the mouth. Hard to even understand this piece. Can't wait to clean this one up.
007_zpshzewe1de.jpg

009_zpsdytumclp.jpg

010_zps009iszso.jpg

011_zpsvp4f5hd3.jpg

012_zpspzp5ltjl.jpg

013_zpshn921lmu.jpg

That all for today.
 

AnnaStasia84

Young Blood
That looks incredible! Can't wait to see the finished product. Are you casting it in silicone instead of latex? If so, doubly excited because that's what I'll have to do if I ever make a mask (allergic to latex).
 
Thanks everyone. I've been spending the last few days cleaning out the clay. I have no real updates. I did order the paint. I am trying FuseFX paints. They are expensive but the colors are premixed and mixing colors scares the crap out of me. I am waiting to order the silicone (EchoFlex 20) until I get all the clay out , weigh it, and figure out the volume I will need. I am getting excited though. I have a few air pockets to fix in the mouth area. I will get some photos up soon.
 

ptgreek

Elite Hunter
looks great bro. I forgot..are you putting in the pour spout on top ..or are you injecting through the core? dont forget to drill your bleeder holes through the negative ( high points for air bubbles ..then all the way up to track your fill. use klean clay to jam up the bleeders once they start to leak )
 

Uhlakk

Hunter
Jeff, I am following this a long time now and you impress me again and again, every time.
Thanks for sharing this!
:)
 
Thanks everyone. I'm getting ready to order the silicone today. According to the weight of the clay I removed calculated by water displacement I will need around 160 oz. That seams like a lot but it is what it is. As soon as I get the paint I'm going to pour some silicone into the top of the head mold and do a little practice painting on that. I am a very anxious about the painting aspect.
Here are a photos of the cleaned out molds.
008_zpsiubvcpji.jpg

007_zpsr4i2d46s.jpg

006_zpsr8vt0cdw.jpg


I cast this little plug in place when I layed up the mold. It is bendable sculpy and pops into place very nicely. It is to make the hole for the bone above the eye.
I decided to do it and I will probably were a blind contact in that eye.
004_zps4anvpcmw.jpg

005_zpssloywz3p.jpg


I also decided to redo these mandible plugs with magnets. I had them pinned for the sculpt but I think they will need to come apart easier when I demold so this was the solution.
001_zpsdmizmrlc.jpg

003_zpsl20e7vqz.jpg

002_zps7wxfnnzu.jpg

It's getting very close to go time.
 
Top