Tokyorose First Full Suit Build

Discussion in 'Predator Costumes' started by TokyoRose, Sep 24, 2012.

1. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

Hey everybody.

So I've decided to be one of "Those Guys" who attempts to slap together a suit a month before Halloween. To be fair, I've got the head sculpted already and most of the materials just waiting to be used. We've been building some creature suits at work, pretty similar to a Mr. I style build for the bodies, and really that's what inspired me to jump on this and try to have something ready to wear by Halloween.

This will be a work in progress, I've only dedicated one day so far to playing, but I think I made some pretty good progress so far, So let's get started.

Head:

This will be the head I use (Hopefully)
    img1941es.jpg
    dsc01205r.jpg
    It's been molded in Urethane to produce Resin Copies, but I'm going to pull that all off, do any corrections I need to the sculpture, and then do an Ultra-Cal mold to produce a latex mask for this build. More progress on that as it happens.
    (Progress on that can be found in this thread: http://www.thehunter...culpt-complete/ )

Dreads:

For the Dreads, I'm trying something a little different due to the time crunch. I plan on making proper ones myself down the line, but for budgetary and time reasons, I'm going to try the wooden snake route
    img2376m.jpg
    (I've explained these in detail here: http://www.thehunter...ttle-different/ )

Body:

I've started a Mr. I type build. I started out with a Mannequin Torso. I compared measurements, wrapped him in a hoodie and padded up a few areas where necessary, then covered the whole thing with garbage bags to prevent the latex from sticking to the sweater
    img2067d.jpg
    (I named him Sexy David)
    I used a flesh colored "Morph Suit", and drew out the general layout of the Muscle pattern I wanted.
    img2356t.jpg
    I cut the muscles out of Upholstery Foam that I picked up at Walmart. It's about $6 a pack. I bought 2 but will need a 3rd one to finish the forearms and legs.
    img2381f.jpg
    I tried attaching them with Kryolan fabric adhesive but it didn't work at all. I know 3M Super 77 works well to stick foam to fabric but I just ended up gluing them directly on with liquid latex and then basically encapsulating the pieces to ensure they stayed put.
    img2357gq.jpg
    img2374f.jpg
    img2384ol.jpg
    I'm not happy with the way the back is coming right now, it's not looking very organic, but I'll change it once I add more back there.
    I'm using Monster Makers RD-407 mask Latex. In Canadia, you can order it from Sculpture Supply Canada
    This is where it sits right now:
    img2396u.jpg
    img2397jw.jpg
    Still have a long way to go, but I like the way it's coming along.
    (I just drew the spots on with Sharpie because I was bored. If these ones show through at all in the end, after more latex and paint, they'll be incredibly subtle)
    Hands:

I'm going to attempt to paint these Vinyl Gloves that I bought a while back. We'll see how it goes.
    dsc00664qx.jpg
    dsc00679o.jpg
    Accessories:

Wrist Blades:
    I,m using some old hockey shin guards as the base for my gantlets. I will upgrade to proper blades down the line, but for now am using some Wolverine claws that I bought at Value Village with their halloween stuff. They're actually really cool and I bought them to modify for movie style wolverine claws but cracked a few and decided to use them here.
    img2363x.jpg
    img2364zk.jpg
    img2378i.jpg
    img2379cp.jpg
    Still have a long way to go on these

Spear:
    I love the Spear Project Eaglewood was working on using a Paint Pole. I'm leaving out the spring mechanism for now, but using the same paint pole and modding it up a bit. I bought a cheapy dagger from value village and glued part of it to the end. Then I'll use some bits and bobs to make the handle look a little more predator-esque
    img2366t.jpg
    img2367t.jpg
    img2401n.jpg
    img2380f.jpg
    Primed and first coat of paint on the spear tip:
    img2402zw.jpg

That's about it for now...
    Thanks for looking
    Brandon

Shogun likes this.
  2. PredatrHuntr

PredatrHuntr Veteran Hunter

Nice custom work there...you can get this done before Halloween ;)

TokyoRose likes this.
  3. carss66

carss66 Hunter

awesome work mate.those hands look great,where did you get them from.

4. Double H

Double H Elite Hunter

Well its about time lol great start man, love how this is coming together.

TokyoRose likes this.
  5. Xenohunter55

Xenohunter55 Blooded

Great start up! Cant wait to see more updates!

TokyoRose likes this.
  6. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

Hey man, I originally bought the gloves from Value Village in their Halloween Section probably... 2 years ago. I made a thread discussing them here:
    http://www.thehunterslair.com/topic/20197-potential-pred-hands-for-cheap/page__hl__raisin#entry239085

They were also found online from Spirit Halloween but when I clicked the link just now, they were no longer available. It's Halloween time and stores are popping up all over the place, so with any luck they may show up at one of them. Hope that helps a bit. I'm a little worried they wont hold the paint that well as they are vinyl, but I think if I encapsulate them in Pros-Aide, it may do the trick. I'll let everyone know when I start the paint up.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, more soon.

7. carss66

carss66 Hunter

many thanks for the info-----just bought a pair.

8. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

Glad you found some bud.

I really wanted to get the spear finished, mainly because I wanted to play with it... So I finished it and am pretty happy with how it turned out. Even with out the spring mechanism, it's hella fun to play with.

Wrapped some leather around the part of the handle I left padding on
    img2425ak.jpg
    I ran a bit short, so I used a foamie to fill in the remainder, dimpled it with a pen and coated with White Glue
    img2427jp.jpg
    Used Empty CO2 cartridges, some pvc with the ends cut on angles, and some hose clamps for the bottom portion of the spear, then painted all of the red with a hammered black, and pretty much everything else with hammered silver
    img2434r.jpg
    Painted some of the tip with acrylics to make it look like bone, and used thin strips of hockey tape around the bone to match the leather banding I used on the handle. I then coated the tape with white glue to seal it and sprayed the whole thing with Crystal Clear
    img2435m.jpg
    Closed:
    img2442ut.jpg
    Fully Extended:
    img2443ab.jpg
    Might Add a strap and some decorative beads or something towards the end of the build, but for now this is one Item checked off the list.

Also Started hacking up the back of my suit to break the muscles up a bit. I'm hoping to have the torso from Neck to Hips "Paint Ready" By Friday. Saturday at the latest.
    img2438wj.jpg

That's all for now,
    Thanks for looking

Shogun likes this.
  9. Jsweeney200

Jsweeney200 Blooded

Dude
    Your off to a flying start already
    Mother of god, this is gonna look deadly will keep an eye on this one for sure

TokyoRose likes this.
  10. Double H

Double H Elite Hunter

Killer man, love it

TokyoRose likes this.
  11. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

Thanks a lot, boys.

The last couple of days have been infuriating but turned out alright in the end.

I finally finished doing the urethane mold of my head with a fiberglass mothermold but when I went to demold it, I realized I had f***ed up big time. The back half came off beautifully but the front half (Which I did probably 8 months ago) had undercuts up the wazoo. I knew that at the time but figured I'd be able to maneuver the Flexible Urethane out from under the mothermold but there was no chance. So I spent the last 2 evenings sawing, dremmeling and tearing my way through the fiberglass to try and release my sculpture. I thought for sure the sculpture was toast and I was positive that my urethane mold was an expensive pile or trash. Surprisingly though, the sculpture survived, it will need an evening or 2 of TLC but it's absolutely salvageable.
    photo31jq.jpg
    photo21qf.jpg
    photo11jb.jpg
    Most of the mouth got ripped off too but fit more or less back where it belonged so it wont take much to smooth things back out.

The biggest surprise though, it that the urethane mold survive relatively unharmed and I managed to keep just enough of the front side of the mothermold to hold the shape. It's not pretty but I'm hoping I can get a pull or two out of it successfully. I've got some resin in there right now but I'm going to bring some more home tomorrow to make sure it's evenly coated inside. If it works out, I'll have a good base to sculpt a bio on as well.
    photoez.jpg

I also got the mandibles and teeth molded and made some headway on a few other pieces. It's slowly coming together.

It's thanksgiving in Canada this weekend, so I'll be heading out of town but I'm hoping to have the sculpt fixed up tomorrow night so it will be ready for UltraCal when I get home Monday.

More Updates soon.
    Thanks for looking

Shogun likes this.
  12. CalgaryBound

CalgaryBound Blooded

Its comeing along man keep it up.

13. made007

made007 Elite Hunter

Wow, nice start youve done more than me in a year lol

14. Double H

Double H Elite Hunter

Nice job man, glad the sculpt survived

15. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

Hey everybody, mini update.

I've been absolutely swamped with work, so sneaking in time for my suit build has been tough but it's coming along.

First off, I got one Resin Pull out of my Urethane Mold. The mold sustained even more damage removing this piece. I must not have had quite enough release or something because it gripped like hell and tore a few chunks or urethane away with it. I'm going to patch the urethane and attempt to get a few more pulls when time allows. That's by no means top priority.
    img2682bk.jpg
    img2684s.jpg
    img2601ft.jpg

I've spent the last couple of evenings resculpting my head. There was a bit more to do than I originally thought but I'd say I'm about 85% done and time allowing I hope to finish and start the UltraCal tomorrow. I haven't done very well with staying on schedule though. I'm working all day Saturday but my hope is to have a cleaning pull done by Sunday. Fingers crossed.
    img2686w.jpg
    img2688c.jpg

I did my first test fitting of the suit. Still have a few more muscles to add on the arms. sides and legs but I'm happy with the fit right now.
    img2590ys.jpg
    img2595mz.jpg
    img2587ic.jpg
    img2592e.jpg

While at home for Thanksgiving I managed to get some sewing done and finished my clothes/loin cloth/ Underoos. All that Garb. I've always really loved the idea of an Apocalypto style Pred, so I went with that type of clothing. There is a black leather butt flap and there will probably be some strings of wooden beads added and thigh armor built onto the skin.
    img2690d.jpg
    (Please forgive the boxers. The pants I was wearing were the same color as the loin cloth so I had to drop trou)

I abandoned hope on the vinyl gloves for the time being and picked up some cheapy latex ones that I'm going to modify instead. I've also started on the neck ring, made a few cloth dread rings with some dangly jewelery bits, built some simple foamie thigh armor and a shoulder bell, started the very beginnings of my feet and accumulated a bunch of random necklaces that will be attached in various places. No pictures of that stuff yet but it's coming.

More to come soon

Shogun likes this.
  16. BonzRus

BonzRus Hunter

Thanks for the thread...I love to see successes and failures both because they are equally a part of this whole process. It is turning out very well indeed. You have accomplished much in a relatively short time. Sorry for the set backs but you seem to not let them get you down or stop your progress. Keep up the good work and posts. Just for the record...the stocking cap is a bit out of place with the rest of the suit... :D

Steve

TokyoRose likes this.
  17. A Hunters Moon

A Hunters Moon Hunter

Somehow I missed this thread completely. Nice work so far and way to DIY man!

TokyoRose likes this.
  18. CalgaryBound

CalgaryBound Blooded

Glad to see u were able to save the mask.The body suit is looking realy good keep it up.The skull cap may have to be made into the suit since we just got snow here lastnight.

TokyoRose likes this.
  19. made007

made007 Elite Hunter

I love that muscle pattern i must do mine as well, but too busy molding and casting parts :(

Pred Haster and TokyoRose like this.
  20. wonko

wonko Hunter

Your making killer progress on this, and it's looking great. I can't wait to see this all come together. Keep going!!!

Brian

TokyoRose likes this.
  21. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

Thanks Steve, after this Halloween business blows over, I'll post pictures and better explanations of my mold and the issues I had on the thread I made for the mask sculpt. I totally agree that failures are hugely helpful in the learning process and should be documented as well. Appreciate the kind words.And the toque may have to come off in order to wear my mask but aside from that, it's not likely you'll catch me without one. I even wore it on vacation in the Dominican. I've become acclimated to it and it keeps my hair out of my face... * hippies.

Thank you very much man. I'm still aiming for that Halloween target, but it won't stop there. Always more to add.

22. Double H

Double H Elite Hunter

Man that pred is ripped!! Nice one this is going to be mean

23. Pred Haster

Pred Haster Blooded

Nice you could save the mask and make some casts. I also really like the work on the torso. I think it it will give me inspiration to make one like this for myself.

24. PredatrHuntr

PredatrHuntr Veteran Hunter

Great job on those muscles...and the head looks sweet as well! It's coming together...keep at it!

25. ThePriest

ThePriest Blooded

very nice man it is coming along nicely i really like the cool ideas you got going there.