Tokyorose First Full Suit Build

Discussion in 'Predator Costumes' started by TokyoRose, Sep 24, 2012.

1. PREDMAUL70

PREDMAUL70 Blooded

Excellant progress here,I am gonna have to keep my eyes on this,like the concept and also your spear,keep up the good work ,looking forward to seeing more of your build !

2. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

Thanks everyone. After a few nights, a lot of work and several broken sculpting tools and many bloody knuckles; The UltraCal mold is finished and cleaned out. I've filled the mold to do a cleaning mold and am letting it dwell overnight, I'll let you all know how it turns out tomorrow with a proper update.

3. Spats

Spats Blooded

Woah, everything looks cool. Might try my hand at a similar bodysuit build if you dont mind?

4. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

Absolutely, I can't wait to see what you've come up with. Everything I've done on here is an idea borrowed from what someone else is done, so by all means take a stab at it yourself. I'm sure it will look great.

A kinda/Sorta update:
    I've been working my balls off in the real world and today is my first day off since Thanksgiving, I've also unfortunately had to deal with the loss of my best friend Mika. She was the greatest dog a guy could ask for.
    mikayoda2.jpg
    18508910151246794806278.jpg
    I think I've been working more to help keep my mind off of her loss. She hated costumes and I loved torturing her, so I had a Tracker Dog Costume idea planned for her which would have made her a real member of the lair as well, but I'll have to put that one on hold for now. Anyway, enough of that, update time!

Got my head molded in Ultra Cal:
    img2770p.jpg
    img2782wx.jpg
    img2790t.jpg
    img2792sj.jpg

Cleaning the clay out of those mandibles was an absolute b*tch and the cleaning pull didn't do as much as I would have liked, so I spent a few more hours digging out clay and have a proper pull dwelling right now.

The cleaning pull was super thin and had a lot of airbubbles but here's a sneak peak
    img2807s.jpg
    img2808d.jpg

I stippled a layer of Latex onto both halves of the mold this time before pouring and slush casting a layer in. My hope is that it will eliminate the airbubbles. I might do one more slush layer but am definitely going to foam fill the crown before pulling this copy.

I also learned, breathing sucks in here. Which I'm sure comes as no surprise. So i may cut away a hole in the top of the mouth and put in ventilated fabric before painting to allow some air in.

A few more crappy realizations:
    The hands I was planning to use are being difficult and the right hand is a bit too small, so it's difficult to get off an on. I made an executive decision to try something else. I picked up Latex Monster gloves from Value Village and a pair of exercise/weight lifting gloves from walmart. I'm going to paint the hands and probably cut a hole in the top of the exercise gloves but here's how they look now:

img2812a.jpg
    img2813rm.jpg
    img2811w.jpg

I'm going to make some quick feet using the Mr. I method on a pair of cheap walmart slippers. I was going to use some big boots and build shin armor onto them and possibly give myself some lift- But I'm already pretty huge and these are comfy and quick.
    I'm going to cut the shape of the toes out of upholstery foam, latex them onto the slippers and make a mock sandal top on the top of the foot. That's about as good as it's going to get for now.

I bought some Hockey Shin Pads for cheap and am going to paint them hammered silver for now. I'd love to put some armor designs on with foamies and such but only if time allows. That may be a project for further down the line.

I also learned that my wooden snake dreads may not work as well as I was hoping. I had some issues with my first tests which you can read about here:
    http://www.thehunter...ttle-different/

I'm planning on doing some more testing with those but I for the time being I may have to go with the backer rod method. I bought some and cut it to size. I think I want to put wire in them to hold their shape and spray them with plasti-dip. We'll see how it works.

I'm heading out to work on things for the rest of the day. Finish any foam work I have to do and any last layers of latex so that everything can be paint ready for tomorrow evening. Then a couple nights of painting and hopefully I'll have a wearable costume by friday.

Shogun likes this.
  5. CalgaryBound

CalgaryBound Blooded

Its comeing together man and the mask looks good.I used those same gloves from Value Village just thaught Ide let you know I tried painting them the way they were the first time and the paint cracked off.They need a layer of latex on them before paint but you probably are aware of that already.

6. made007

made007 Elite Hunter

Those bubbles woul be easily fill with urefil 9 and prosaid, great job, too bad my first mask wont be a predator :(

7. Pred Haster

Pred Haster Blooded

I think your first pull is really great. Can't wait to see your suit finished.

8. wonko

wonko Hunter

You have my condolences on the loss of your friend. I lost one several years back and it's not easy. Kudos to you for pressing on with the project (which looks fantastic by the way) and focusing on something constructive. I anxiously await the final pics. Question for you...are you going to make the mask available? It's an awesome piece of work, and wouldn't mind getting my hands on one.

Brian

made007 likes this.
  9. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

I sacrificed my gloves last night and made feet with them, so I'll have to run to Value Village and pick up another pair tonight. Crossing my fingers they're not sold out. But yeah, the latex was peeling off in a few spots so I'll have to do a little playing. Thanks for the heads up though.

Thanks man. I pulled my second copy prematurely and ended up with a few thin spots that tore but there were almost no airbubbles at all. I'm going to test paint them and when I have more time, patch them and make severed Pred heads I think.

Thanks a lot. the second worked much better but still had a few issue. Hopefully third times a charm

Hey Brian, thank you for the condolences and I appreciate the interest in the mask. That alone stands as a huge compliment.
    Selling copies wasn't my primary objective but if can get the hang of pulling decent copies, I will definitely make a few extras to sell off. I'd love to see what others do with them but I need to make sure I'm happy with the quality before I decide to sell any. I'll link to a sales thread once I hopefully have a few available or you can PM me for more info. And hopefully I don't run out of Latex before then, I should have lots if I'd quit * up the pulls.

10. alphatech686

alphatech686 Hunter

Hey Dude I just now saw this build and I have to say your head sculpt is very very nice. It looks a little different but in a very good way. The shape of the head is very strong looking. I'm telling you this is a very cool concept. Keep up the good work.

TokyoRose likes this.
  11. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

Thank you very much man. That means a lot, you are an incredibly talented and innovative member of the Lair.

The head does look a bit different. I started out going for a P2 based head but took it in more of a P1 direction mid sculpt and I'm pretty happy with the resulting look.

Thanks again

12. Spats

Spats Blooded

You went to vacation in the Dominican Republic? Hey I was raised there! How was it? Haha.
    And yeah, the muscle pattern is really sick, looking at it again I definitely want to do something similar for my own. By the way, are you doing the legs separately?

13. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

It was many, many years ago. That's rad though. I did make legs, I used old couch cushions and cut them to the dimensions of my legs using anelectric carving knife.Then covered them in plastic and stuffed them in the legs of the suit.

Soo.... It would appear I missed my target completion date. I was putting in as much time as possible but man, painting Latex it hard. Eff. I have a whole new respect for you guys who can do it and have it look like anything other than dog *. My airbrush kept clogging and when I'd try to paint by hand, the color came on way too heavy. It was difficult getting the thin washes I desired. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, I was just under a time crunch and decided to say screw it. I'd rather take my time and finish it to a level I'm happy with, than rush and have a final suit that looks it. I did get a foam filled head that I'm happy with, I just need to figure out how to paint it. I'm hoping to start doing some extra pulls soon.

There is one thing I wanted to share quickly though. I had mentioned very early on that the FX Shop I work for was working on some "Low Budget" Creature suits for a short film. We approached them in a very similar way to a Mr. I build but we made a few cool discoveries that I wanted to share:

One suit is only a torso and the other is a full suit. They were made on Zentai Suits (basically Morph Suits), with muscles cut from a roll of upholstery foam. The foam was attached with 3M Super77 spray. One of the girls discovered that she could sand the upholstery foam once adhered, with an air powered roto-sander. It took some getting used to and made a hell of a mess but it was so worth it. The smooth look of the muscles was awesome. It made me want to throw my pred suit in the garbage and start from scratch. Next time I'll definitely use this approach:
    photoxdv.jpg

We sealed the suits in a few layers of Dragon Skin. They had to match the heads that I sculpted, which were cast in Dragon Skin backed with Soma Foama. I love Silicone. I love using it, I love Painting it, I love the final result. Everything about it. Even though it can be a pain in the * sometimes, it's still fantastic.

We pre tinted the base layer of silcone using SilcPig a
    nd thickened it using Thi-Vex so that it would stay put. It was applied with tongue depressors and smoothed with pieces of foam. Once kicked, some painting was done to add mottling texture and spots and highlights and shadows, then we did a final layer of silicone, tinted lightly with fuse fx fleshtones. I left it transparent enough to show the paint detail underneath. We used thivex again for this layer and did the same application technique, but smoothed the whole thing out using FuseFX Smoothie. It made such a huge difference. I'm super happy with the result and can't wait to start on the second suit next week. I will definitely do my next pred suit this way:
    photo4qc.jpg
    photo21vq.jpg
    photo31on.jpg
    photo11fe.jpg

We still have some more paint detail and hair to punch but for figuring it out as we go, I'm really happy with it.

So yeah. Sorry for the lack of updates, and I'll try to get some shots of my suit up as they come. But hopefully that last bit helps a few of you out with your builds. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Shogun, Fayne and BonzRus like this.
  14. made007

made007 Elite Hunter

Well dome, i think is better to do this method than the mr i suit, someday ill try it, but for now mr i suit will do, nice job on those muscle, is that upholstery foam? What thicknes you used?

15. Double H

Double H Elite Hunter

Fricking sweet that thing is ripped! Like the new method, may have to bare that on inmind in the future

made007 likes this.
  16. Spats

Spats Blooded

That suit looks awesome man, How much bulk does it add? And yeah, definitely going this route with my suit, I like how you can add physical scarring and whatnot.
    Wait, just realized this isn't you pred suit. Whatever it is looks awesome haha.

17. sulaco1967

sulaco1967 Hunter

Thanks for the pics of that suit build. I think I will go down that route as well, have the morph suit already and a room full of upholstery foam. Had a good tip today from someone..

Put a layer very thinly of maxwax, you can even use cooking oil on the duct tape dummy before putting on the suit and latexiing. This allows the suit to slide off the dummy more easier a release agent of sorts.

Sean

18. Double H

Double H Elite Hunter

Thats a good tip. Lucky you to have a whole loaded foam to play with, i gotta fricking buy a stock load!

19. Spats

Spats Blooded

Same, as above. I gotta find a crap ton of foam now. If anyone finds a good supplier, please let me know?

20. sulaco1967

sulaco1967 Hunter

I ran a post it's good to get something for nothing.. I went to a local foam factory shop looking just for foam to stuff my mask and asked the guy if they had any off cuts. They had a s@@t load of all types of foam ready for the dump and they said help myself. Took the full lot and had to fold down the seats to get it in.. Worth brassing your case...

21. CalgaryBound

CalgaryBound Blooded

That suit looks awesome man thats some nice work.I might have to commision you to help me with my next one.

22. wonko

wonko Hunter

I'm diggin' that torso dude! Honestly though, at this point I think I'm gonna sculpt/mold/cast my next set of skins. This is definitely something I'm gonna keep in mind though. Sorry about the problems with painting your suit. Best thing to do is take it slow, and do many light coats and layers. I gave up on my deadline because I didn't want to end up with a "rushed" looking paint job. After seeing the rest of your work, I know you can do it. Keep us updated!

Brian

23. alphatech686

alphatech686 Hunter

Hey Dude, this has to be the nicest foam build up suit I've seen. It really helps that you are a thin dude, it makes the suit look sleek yet built. Very nice work. Gets me motivated to step it up on my Topknot build. Thanks for sharing. keep the updates coming.

made007 likes this.
  24. made007

made007 Elite Hunter

You could use a body paint only, lol your ripped...... Im a spaguetti :)

25. TokyoRose

TokyoRose Blooded

Hey, thanks everyone. I'm glad you guys like it and hopefully it can be utilized in some of your future builds.

As I mentioned but may not have been noticed by a few; this one isn't for my pred. I wish it was and I'm trying to convince the shop to sell it to me after we're done shooting but I doubt that will happen. I'm really surprised by how effective the whole process was though.

This suit isn't being worn by me, the actor using this one is quite a bit bulkier than I am to begin with, but we needed to make a really hulking creature and I think it will be successful.

Alphatec, Made is right- you could just throw on a mask and call it a day. You are a powerhouse my friend.

As far as foam goes, I wasn't involved with the ordering process. We got it in a roll about 3 inches thick by about 2 feet wide and maybe 10 or 12 feet long. It's great stuff but really, not a whole lot different than the foam cushions I was using on my torso.

Lubricating the duct tape dummy in anyway is definitely a good idea. I cover all of mine in plastic bags/garbage bags and it helps a lot. Great tip though Sean.

We left the Silicone to cure over the weekend, so I'm not sure exactly how much weight it added to the over all suit. There will definitely be a difference but because we took so much time to smooth out the muscles prior to coating, we were able to keep the silicone really thin. I would say the whole torso used just under a gallon kit of Dragon Skin. (So technically 2 gallons- 1 of A and 1 of B) But it's spread out over a big area. The Silicone is only maybe a few mm thick at any given point.

Thanks again everyone, and I'll post more as I can. If you have any questions, feel free to fire away.