Universal predator gauntlet idea.

D

Don Jarr

Hi all

I’m starting work on my predator gauntlet at the weekend, as my dad is coming over to let me take a cast of his forearm for a base to work from. (Although he doesn’t know it yet.) I then thought I would like a scimitar single blade on one arm and a net launcher on the other arm. Then I thought it would be good to be able to swap housings, depending on what you fancied at the time, so I came up with the idea of making a universal gauntlet, that the weapon housings could be changed.

predwrist.jpg

Now the gauntlet would be the normal around the wrist item, but would have a removable top section. It would follow the red line from the right-hand side till it meets the yellow line, as this is the contour of your arm, and can’t be changed. The top section, which is the purple outlined bit, would house the weapon and be removable and changed, but obviously there couldn’t be anything below the yellow line as this wraps slightly round the wrist, and would form the front fixing points.

I then thought instead of making a super detailed main gauntlet section I could make a plain one that could be individually customised, as with stuff like bake and bend sculpy you can cut out shapes and bake them, then stick them to the plain gauntlet and make each one different. I also thought I could make a weapon housing flat base plates so you could attach different weapons to them, and have several to choose from.

Don

S

Savage Yautja

is this a picture of a clay sculpt? It's beautiful! Great ideas too!

J

JDboy7

I am not for sure, but I think that is the ADI sculpt. I love your idea on a DIY gauntlet kit. Keep us informed man.

D

Don Jarr

Hi all

Yep I took that from adi's book as an example as I think it looks fab.

Here is a great tip, buy a cheap pasta-making machine. You then roll and feed bake and bend though the roller setting it to about 1/8th of an inch and this gives you a perfectly even sheet of sculpy ready to cut your own shape out of. You can then draw by hand or on a cad program to make templates of bits you want to stick on your gauntlet, and then cut them out the sheet, bake and then bend and stick them on, you can then clean the bits up once stuck on and paint your chosen finish on. I have been using my pasta machine for years and find it the best way to add surface detail, now even better with bake and bend.

So my plan is to make a plain gauntlet with the removable weapon section plate. As for fixing, I’m still not sure, but am heading towards a sleeve insert with fingerless glove, (similar looking to the fake bits added to most current predator hands,) and have the top section hinged at the back, so you slide your hand and arm in, then shut the weapon section down and lock the two halves together. I will experiment and see, as it has to be strong and very simple, to avoid any problems.

Don

W

waynes manners

Sounds like a winning idea to me. I will be looking forward to more updates on this project!

Shawn

K

krithargus

Hi guys
Hey you know that could be recast in bronze.Will can you devise a slide track mechanism if you have the upper housing dimentions? By the way that Deathdealer axe head is mine,and I didn't have to pay 1200.00 for it at Albion's site.
Hope your doin well Will

B

BaitysBlacksmithing

Hmm I'd really like to look into it first. I'm pretty sure I can come up with something. It might be easier to cast the entire gauntlet in say aluminum and then devise a track system. That way I could standardize a mounting set up for the metal blades as well.

Ok I'm dumb........I forgot I sold you the damn deathdealer...... Thats what I get for staying up for 3 days.

K

krithargus

I sent you the scetch.The blade slide would only expose 1/2 of the rails when completely extended.The problem is,how do you retract and extend on the same machanism.I think it should work like a gravity knife.Mount the rail section with roller bearings that way all you have to worry about is a lock release that can be triggered by a photographer's plunger sewn into tho palm of the glove.It could then be mounted on the gauntlet.That way you would have your fingers out of the way.