Variant Hunters

R

Rex L Adams

How do you guys feel about the Hunter crossing over into other genres? I've seen a "Sith Hunter", and was just thinking about how the Hunter could move into other genres fairly easily.

I've been asked for DCon7 to do a alien member of the Green Lantern Corps. Originally, I had no interest. But, then I was hit w/ the thought "What is the baddest Alien of them all? The Hunter!"

Now, I don't want to offend the whole mythos of the Hunter, but what do you guys think of this?

While it's never been done, it could be cool or crap.

I had thought Helmet, dreds, some armor to keep the Hunter mythos, feet, hands, a Predator styled Power Ring (?), A Predator styled chest symbol, etc.

I sure don't want to offend anyone, but really would like your feedback and suggestions.

I'm kinda using this as a starting point before I jump into my own "official" Hunter.

Thanks guys.

M

MEANGENE83

A former member of the board did a SITH hunter costume. In the style of Darth Maul with horns and such.

The paintscheme was killer but the whole concept i didnt like much.
I do not have pics, perhaps someone else does.

P

pirkleations

Rex,

I think that the Yautja come off more believable and respectable in different time periodsand cultures than in different entertainment genres.

Although seeing a Predator go up against a squad of Star Wars Stormtroopers is very cool and entertaining, it sort of kills the mystique when a hunter mixes it up or teams with humans too much. Even in the Batman VS Predator comics, the Predator hunter was not tempted to put on a cowl and become a caped crusader.

I doubt that the motivation of the Predator is to become a seeker of truth, justice and the American way or punish the guilty. He just wants to hunt. But you never know...

Just my thoughts on that.

~DangerDavey

R

Rex L Adams

DD, yeah, I hear that. I was thinking it was too big of a stretch.

J

JAILER1955

While I tend to agree with the others in their opinion, if it is something you want to try, go for it.

After all someone has already had the predator fighting Spiderman and the Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles.

P

pirkleations

I do think the Predator should be able to hunt or kill as many super heroes as he wants. It thins out the herd a little.

He just shoudn't become a super hero himself. Too campy. I don't think he'd look very good in tailored spandex.

~DangerDavey

M

Mr Fett

.....though I do have a comic book in which there were team of various Yautja with the same powers as their counterparts in the Justice League of America and of course had to fight them. Seriously.

S

Savage Yautja

Yeah I got the pics right here Gene.
[url="http://
[url="http://

S

Savage Yautja

I say don't do the crossovers. Look what happened to the Star Wars characters, First they were dark and intimidating as a force. How they've been watered down as Pimp stormtroopers, pink Darth Vaders, Elvis stormtroopers.... Nah let's keep it real. The mystique of the character as a cunning "take no prisoners" skillful hunter is what makes him popular and earns him the respect he deserves. No pansy predators please!

C

carlart

Ditto on that. These photos look an awful lot like Bathunter's.
carlart

P

PredatrHuntr

There have been a few cross-overs, but only a handful where the Predator was dressed up as something else. Personally, I don't like it. that JLA cover bothers me...

I prefer Predator VS :

PredatorvsJudgeDredd-01-p00.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P

ptgreek

Predator Judge Dredd...yikes!

Hmmm...interesting topic though...kinda had something in mind that I plan on getting started on after Halloween. I've been looking at those pred skull kits on ebay, then at Pirks zombie stuff, and I started thinking...what if there was a living-dead Hunter. The idea was to "kit-bash" some costumes and dirty up some armor to make this happen. So what do y'all think? Am I waaaayyy too out there on this one? So ...if anybody has any raw seconds, thin castings, etc. that they want to get rid of (for a price of course ... not looking for handouts, just some inspiration) let me know.

J

juggalo ant

i have also thought alot about making a zombie predator costume. i got alot of ideas i may type up, mayeb give ya some more inspriration

T

The Big Gunns

I used predator skulls on my ceremonial suit. They are a good size (not too big)

I think its cool to do custom suits, but there is a very fine line with cross overs. I think taking elemnets of cross over characters is cool. Like some did a drawing a while back of a pred with Boba Fett helmets as shoulder armor. And he had parts of Boba Fetts armor on his suit. But it looked like he was wearing them as trophys... not trying to be Boba Fett.

~Mel

M

Maverick118

I did an old rough sketch like that, in fact it may have been mine that you refer to. I think it's not bad for things to cross genre's. In fact for our film it's a must. But I keep pushing for the pred to remain a pred. Has to remain true to the character not the genre. Custom preds are the way to go as they can have a little bit of you in their creation.

P

PredatoRob

Well, it would appear that at the same time the art used for the DH Predator comics went down the drain, so did the ideas. So, they had nothing better than to throw the Predator at super-heroes?

The Predator is not a comic book character. He didn't start out that way, and I sure as shit hope he doesn't go out that way, either. When I look at those comics, I am reminded of being on the playground at recess having one of those debates dealing with "who would win?" Well, that's all fine and good for kiddie discussions- though it really shouldn't go any further than that.

I think it's not bad for things to cross genre's
Well, in the case of Predator I'm going to have to disagree.

Has to remain true to the character not the genre
Yes!!! Exactly!! But in doing so, he needs to stick to his OWN genre. How is light bending camouflage going to help him if the Jedi can feel his evil from light years away? All that Jedi bullshit wouldn't even work on the creature. Vader can suck it. He's just jealous that there's another Alien out there who is talller and has a better looking helmet.

Anyways, yes, there is a very thin line as far as Im concerned. The Predators' own universe is filled with endless possibilities for the creatures themselves and environments. The Universe can't consist of just Us and Aliens and Predators. Remember the trophy case at the end of Predator 2? If not I will keep remiding you all. There has to be a few fucked up stories/adventures in there. The Predator should stick to his genre and what makes him the Predator.

M

Maverick118

Ah but is the predator inherently evil. Nah just a bloody good hunter. Mind you I don't think the jedi are all they're cracked up to be after all they got their collective derriere's kicked in a major fashion. As I said, I don't think it's neccassarily a bad thing for the pred to cross genre's or universe's. AVP is a classic example cracking story. Would have made for a helluva better film than what was put out or is going to be put out.

Agreed there must be a wealth of stories to be told from the pred's own backyard. But from an amateur movie maker's point of view using other genre's is too tempting especially with star wars as your extra's already have costumes. Means budget goes onto more interesting things like a better Pred.

I'll leave it with this. It's all down to the individual. If you think a pred looks cool dressed a certain way, then I'm fine with that. At the end of the day it's that person who has to wear the costume and be happy doing so. If that means combining a few bits then go for it.

R

Rex L Adams

Really appreciate the feedback guys, it's exactly what I was hoping for.

On one hand, I agree completely w/ the keeping the genre as it is- without a doubt.

On the other hand, what I was toying w/ was the idea that a Hunter was deemed worthy to join the GL Corps- yes, it does take away from his background, hunting various alien prey. What I had thought was to portray a Hunter that would meld the two genres- not just heroic in spandex, but more
Hunter w/ GL overtones. Keeping his armor, but at the same time incorporating the overall scheme of the GL Corps. Nowhere just a Hunter wearing Hal Jordan's spandex!! LOL! That just wouldn't work at all!!

I don't know if it's possible to combine the two genres, or even worth it.

If I was skilled in photoshop, I'd play around w/ various looks, perhaps w/ a emerald greenish armor, black highlights etc. Might just look like total crap or might look okay. Don't know. Sure has heck don't want to look foolish, or more still, offend any Hunters.

I've been wanting to do a Hunter for sooooo very long. I had a buddy checking out the site last night, he's been making custom 1/6th Hunters for years and years (Kellys Heroes) and by the glazed look in his eyes, I'm pretty darn sure he'll be making a suit soon. We're already talking about helmets, dreadlock materials, various armors, etc.

"Working" blades, spears, etc.

Damn, this is a great hobby!!