Viking Queen bio

T

The Big Gunns

I have started reworking the design for my next suit.. the Viking Queen. I did some reading and found out that Vikings did not wear horns on their helmets. But we all associate that with them. So I have deceided to make my bio look a little bit like Frazetta's Death Dealer. Its looking very masucline so if I go with this design I will have to alter my suit design slightly. This is a small sculpt I made to see what it would look like.

So what do you guys think so far??
VikingHelm2.jpg

T

The Xcalibor

Mel, that is looking VERY sweet.

AND.... comming from Norweigan desent. The vikings didn't wear the horns into battle, they used them almost like cantines now, cary watter in and such. The "generals" of the army and the king wore them in battle though, more ceremonial than anything else.

Keep at it, its looking good.

KEITH

B

blk n blu dream

I like the "mouth piece" on it, it's different but has the old feel.

M

Master Hobbs

that bio looks familliar for some reason.......oh well
looks good mel

P

pirkleations

Nice concept, there, Mel!

I like the shape of the bio, but the horns kind of take away from the piece to me. Maybe you can do them in relief along the side of the bio?

Just my 2 cents worth. It's your vision and you should be able to take it in any direction you feel is right for you.

~DangerDavey

T

The Mortal Immortal

I can see a lot of resin in your future. Great job Mel as alway a sweet looking bio.

T

tommynator1024

Nice!!!

Are we gonna have a viking clan here...? Makes me want to get my viking bio finished even more. Well, the bio actually is finished, just not the mount and the dreads and all...but who's got time for that...

I did a lot of research for it a year ago, and of course vikings didn't have horns on their helmets. Most of them didn't even have real helmets, they wore hard leather caps. Same goes for chain mail, it was fucking expensive back then (just as today ), so only the wealthier warriors could afford them. I too read that the horns were for ceremonial stuff only, they weren't even the shape that gets associated with them today, very high and bent towards each other. An expensive genuine viking helmet often had a design with eye guards that made it look like it's owner was wearing glasses. Not totally unlike the helmet Russell Crowe's wearing in Gladiator, which isn't completely surprising, since the early vikings bought their weapons from Roman and other continental European smiths.

I thought about incorporating that design for quite a while but finally dropped it.

Viking history in europe is in fact a very interesting chapter, it spawned centuries, genereally said to have started with the raid on the monastery on Lindisfarne off the English coast in 793 AD. Btw, "vikingr" means "to raid"/ "to plunder", so I guess you could roughly translate it as "predator"...

here's mine own pride...

no matter what, I love the horns. The middle part on the crown is shaped after the fuselage of a viking raid boat.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Mel. I'd love to see what you come up with for the armor design. I have a pretty good idea already, but probably won't have the time to make it happen before very long...

Tom
viking hunter

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Big Gunns

Hey I remember your bio! Yes you should finish yours

Thanks for the comments guys. I redesigned my suit to match the bio a little more. I am learning to draw celtic knots and I will be incorporating that into all the armor and the bio.

~Mel

B

blk n blu dream

Ooo a real celtic pred... I'm really looking forward to this one... though I've yet to see the Alien Queen! *angry face*

K

kithunter

i like it allot.... being the huge frazetta fan that i am i saw what inspired this piece

frazetta-death-dealer-helm-and-axe-3679.jpg

T

The Big Gunns

That's exactly the pic I was looking at. I found a bio I think I am going to use as a base.
P1010005.jpg

I've also picked out fur and leather colors.
Vikingcolors.jpg

P

pirkleations

Oooooooooh! Ahhhhhhhhhh!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Mix all that stuff together and we got another magnificent creation from the mind of Mel!!!

~DangerDavey

T

The Hopkinator

Man I love that!! My peeps came from a section of Great Britain settled by Vikings,, If you mold it, count me in.

S

spinksy77

looks real good!
-this is a pic of a kenner predator figure prototype helmet!-looks pretty similar
heavyinfantrypredhelmetyh5.jpg

M

Moose Matson

I have always thought that the helmet would look great with some horns coming off the sides. Remember these Mel!
Axepred.jpg

And My Texes long horn/Samurai inspired one.
MVC-007F.jpg