What do all of those doo-dads do?

Hellbender

Unblooded
Well, the day has come. I am sketching out my first hunter costume design, and I wanted to know if anyone out there is familiar with 'Predator' technology. Basically I want to know what the exact functions of certain pieces of tech are, like certain parts of a plasma caster, combi-stick, control panels on computers, and overall armor itself. I want to see if I can make them functional/light up, so I would need to know what parts to buy to do that. I wasn't sure if there was literature or a resource that has such canon info out there, like there is with Aliens tech. Thanks.

Aquis Hydro

Blooded
I've spent the past year studying every aspect of info on the Predator that I can find. Their culture, their biology, their technology, everything I can lay my grubby paws on. Perhaps I might be able to help you.

I'm a reallly enthusiastic Predator fan. I'm using every scrap of info about Predators to help me design my pred-suit. Maybe that years-worth of aquired knowledge can be useful to you too.

What is it you need to know? Start slowly, I can only give out so much info at a time.

Hellbender

Unblooded
Thanks for offering your help! I hope 3 questions are not too much at once. :p

1. I am wanting to know about the plasma caster, does it use a type of ammo or does it consume energy from the armor's power cell to fire plasma shots? Does that round drum on the back of the caster hold ammo, or is it just for looks?

2. Where is the power supply for the armor? Is it in the computer itself, or in the shoulder unit which houses the plasma caster and medkit? It seems to me that it is in the computer unit, since there is a cable running from the computer to the shoulder unit.

3. Is it the power cell that overloads to create the self destruct event, or is there a seperate explosive unit elsewhere in the armor?

I have further questions about the shoulder unit and some of the weapons as well. I hope to spend more time discussing such cool technology with you, and getting some ideas for creating more realistic and detailed costumes. Thanks.

Aquis Hydro

Blooded
The Answers To Your Questions:
1:- The Plasmacaster fires blasts of liquid energy known as Plasma (Hence the name). I've yet to figure out the function of the "drum", but it could possibly be an energy-condenser.

2:- The Power supply is in the backpack unit. The cable linking the computer-gauntlet to the shoulder is the power cable to the computer and feedback cable to the helmet etc.

3:- It would appear the Energy-Bomb is in the computer-gauntlet. If you have seen AVP, the computer is removable and when the countdown ends, it explodes, destroying the pyramid. The computer can also be used to self-destruct the Predator ship, as seen in Predator: Concrete Jungle.

I hope to make a website called Encylopaedia Xenologica, which has info on Aliens, Predators and anything else that comes to mind. I just haven't got round to doing it... yet.

If you have any more questions, then ask them in groups of 3, as it's easier to answer.
Aquis Hydro - Dark Fire Clan

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellbender

Unblooded
Awesome. I was thinking the same things, but just wanted to be sure. On the subject of weapons, I remember seeing a bola type weapon in a Predator comic book once, but have yet to see it being used anywhere else. Once I get my costume finished, I would like to have my own version of it! I'm not sure how it works in the book, but my own design is a small metallic cylinder the size of a pack of cigarettes, rounded on both ends like a capsule, which seperates in the center by pulling both ends apart to reveal a 5 ft long ultra thin razor wire between the 2 weighted ends. The bola is then twirled at one end and thrown at the target, and once it hits the target, the ends wrap the wire around the target until the ends get close enough to each other, and then the magnets within attract the ends to each other and lock them together, which triggers the internal motors in the ends to start reeling the wire in thus tightening the wire and slicing into the target. This is similar to the razor net, but can cut a target in half like the smart disk. I also have a variant of the combi-stick that lets you fire the pointed end-shafts out like a harpoon gun. You could have a cable attached for reeling in prey or allowing you to scale steep surfaces like a grappling hook and rope. I did have more questions too.

1. What other items or devices are contained in the backpack unit besides the medkit and plasma caster?

2. I think that the Yautja dreadlocks are actually single tendrils, and not braided hair like others seem to think. They grow out of a single socket unlike hair which would grow out of individual follicles. I think the hair thing is just a way to humanize an obviously alien creature. What do you think?

3. Can the power supply of the armor be recharged, or does it have to be replaced like a battery?

Thanks again, and let me know any original ideas you might have on Yautja tech.

Robillicus

Hunter
Welcome aboard! I will try my best to answer your questions, using what I've picked up over the many years I've been a Predator fan.

1. Unlike the videogame counterparts, I think that the Plasma Cannon is a self-contained unit that is capable of multiple blasts of plasma in different frequencies of intensity. If you've seen the movie Predator, while on the fallen log he fired off several blasts in a row, each more powerful than the last. If you go by what the videogames employ, it runs off of some internal power source that the creature uses for all of it's gimmicks. There-by making it a 2-3 shot weapon before powering down and rendering everything else useless. Unless you find a junction box. :)

In Predator 2 there was no "hump" along side the shoulder cannon. I believe the unit is capable of recharging itself, or it has unlimited fire capacity.

2. I think that's just it... it is the Armor. There's no specified location, or "generator" for the gear he uses. Perhaps it could be located in the left gauntlet because in P1 it was shorted out, rendering the creatures cloak useless. I really doubt the artists that put the suit together thought this hard about that, other than "That hose looks cool there."

3. Yes, the bomb itself is in the computer gauntlet.

1. Well that depends on which style "back-pack" you're talking about. The P1's back-pack was more like an "armor cover-up," while the P2 back-pack looked to have different compartments and such to house who knows what. The re-breather fits inside one of these perhaps..but as to what else is in there, who knows.

2. I whole-heartedly agree with you here. I think the whole basis of that was to try and humanize the creature more and bring more depth. Which, to me, failed miserably. For one, the writer must not have seen the first Predator movie because the creatures Dredlocks grow out from its head in a "progressive" order. You've got the "Baby-dreds" closer to the cheek and jaw-line, while the longer, thicker dredlocks towards the back of the head. Also, the finer "quils" growing like eyebrows and such on the forehead and temple. Kind of like human eyebrows and facial hair. It's the same thing, but on a much smaller scale. Also, the head clearly has sockets for the dredlocks. I've seen them on each creatures' head piece. Implying that the creature starts out with "hair" and it is soon braided into the dredlocks means that this process also alters the anatomy of the head itself. Which to me just sounds stupid.

3. I'm thinkin' the power supply is self-contained and it can replenish itself.

Most importanly, I must that I think you've over thought this way too much. The great thing about the Predator is, is that he's an alien with alien technology. And since there's no set guideline for that sort of "Tech," you're pretty much free to do whatever you want with your creature suit. You can give it a battery for it's gadgets, or you can leave that out and leave it up to the viewer. So long as it fits within the Predator theme/universe, you'll be good to go.

:)

Hellbender

Unblooded
Thanks for sharing some info, Robillicus. I do agree with you about the alien tech, sometimes the writers and fans forget that no amount of analyzing the Predator will make it seem cooler or more familiar, I was just wondering if there were any set standards for the tech or any real-world comparisons that are templates of sorts. The whole concept is open to improvements and a sort of evolution, but there has to be some clear canon that is followed or else we get stuff like mind powers and kill glands. Yeesh! But keep the ideas and opinions coming. Everyone's input is appreciated.

Robillicus

Hunter
I was just wondering if there were any set standards for the tech or any real-world comparisons that are templates of sorts. The whole concept is open to improvements and a sort of evolution, but there has to be some clear canon that is followed or else we get stuff like mind powers and kill glands
Hahaha... true, so true.

Well, the easy answer I guess would be to watch both Predator and Predator 2. You could watch AVP if you wanted to as well, but I feel that Predator and Predator 2 are more of a serious nature.

Think of the Predator as a giant Swiss Army Knife. Everything he has on his person has a function - whether it's protection or killing. The armor, I think, serves as protection (obviously) but also as decoration. Each piece probably has it's own meaning; perhaps it makes an extravogant leg piece after he brought down a large, space monster or some ****. Or a unique Pauldron after dismembering a Queen Alien.

With the Predators weaponry, form follows function. It may not look right, but it does it's job. Already established are the wrist blades. Each hunter is equiped with them, and depending on the prey come in various set ups. They're an effective close range weapon, but also serve as a tool perfect for carving out a human spine. While I think they're strong enough to rip one out with ease... the blades probably do a cleaner job, making the skull/spine more presentable.

The Spear, the disc, netgun, all probably come in different variations too. AVP had a netgun mounted to one of the hunters' left gauntlet. The spears were thinner, and the cannons came in different calibres. Not to mention the huge wrist blades of comic book proportions.

Most of it is up to your imagination, but I think that each character or group of characters follows the same formulas established in the first two films.

Here's a link to a clan of Samurai inspired Predators that I came up with over the period of about a year.

Click Me

Hope that gives ya some ideas!

:)

Hellbender

Unblooded
Awesome work, Robillicus! :) I too am an artist, but not quite that good! Given the limits of what is presented in the films, comic books, and the vision of Stan Winston, we Predator fans have all viewed the Yautja from our own perspective. And since the details of their history, their culture, and their beliefs are all too vague at this point, all we have to go on is their technology, or what has been presented thus far. So I think that gives us a lot more freedom to create the kind of costumes and art that allow this concept to evolve, and usually for the better. Now, on to the questions!

1. Predators have skinned their prey in past films, what do they do with those skins?

2. Do Yautja ever eat human meat?

3. Are there any advanced civilizations that the Yautja consider equals, as in, they won't hunt them?

Thanks, and don't hesitate to post your own questions in here! :)

Tjauke Zazin

Blooded
Awesome work, Robillicus! :) I too am an artist, but not quite that good! Given the limits of what is presented in the films, comic books, and the vision of Stan Winston, we Predator fans have all viewed the Yautja from our own perspective. And since the details of their history, their culture, and their beliefs are all too vague at this point, all we have to go on is their technology, or what has been presented thus far. So I think that gives us a lot more freedom to create the kind of costumes and art that allow this concept to evolve, and usually for the better. Now, on to the questions!

1. Predators have skinned their prey in past films, what do they do with those skins?

2. Do Yautja ever eat human meat?

3. Are there any advanced civilizations that the Yautja consider equals, as in, they won't hunt them?

Thanks, and don't hesitate to post your own questions in here! :)
I'd like to throw my word in, here...

1. In Alien vs Predator and Predator 1, you might notice that the one in Predator one lacks armor in the back, and instead has a strange leather-looking. In AVP, the Predators appear to have strange underwear-type clothes under their armor. They probably use skin as clothing, but if you choose to trust the games, such as Concrete Jungle, it serves as a warning.

2. I've heard rumors about there being some deleted scene in Predator 2 where after skinning someone he licks the blade. I haven't seen it myself, only heard rumors. But one would assume that, if this is true, yes, they do.

3. I do not think so, because that would mean surrenduring on both sides. From the sounds of AVP, they originally did not hunt humans until they started getting better technology. So perhaps there are some unheard of races.

Aquis Hydro

Blooded
In answer to Hellbender:

1:- Predator dreds are single tendril-like things growing out of sockets in the skull. Could be referred to as "hair" due to the fact they grow in a similar way to human hair. The AVP Elder has a beard of quills for example and quills grow down their backs, shoulders and sometimes chests.

2:- I'm uncertain what exactly Predators do with the skin of their prey, but assumingly they wear it like leather.

3:- Yautja probably eat parts of their kills, and may well eat human flesh at times. In Pred. 2 City-Hunter fed on frozen beef from a slaughterhouse every few days, and wisked away the body of a man hung from the ceiling in the "Armoury" scene, perhaps to finish skinning or to eat.

4:- Yautja will always hunt another species, that is the way they are. There are some cases of other species earning Yautja respect and sometimes joining Yautja Clans eg. Mike Harrigan - Pred. 2, Alexa Woods - AVP, Machiko - AVP comics.

Ralic

Unblooded
If, there were such things, as yautija, I must add.
Sorry, had to butt in.

On topic tho, I want that scene, predator liking the blade in Predator 2. That would be nice ;D

Hellbender

Unblooded
Schweet answers there! For most of the time that I have been a Predator fan I have had to guess at a lot of the info that has not been conveyed in the films, and these questions have always vexed me. But it is good to see that there are those who have discovered some of the truth of this species, as it were. I have always wondered if Stan Winston had any logic behind the tech and physiology of the creature that he designed for the films, reasons why this went here or that goes there, or if the creators of the Predator had more of a background story for the species that they could not present in a 90 minute film. This seems to be the case with a lot of films, especially the Alien films, and others made in the 20th century, before DVDs. There is always so much more information that we miss out on because of the limits that filmakers had with FX and company red tape. The AVP comics explained some things, but for once I would like to see a film with the hunters as the main characters, from their point of view. Then I could get down to the nitty-gritty of their technology and really make a detailed costume and props. But until then we have a makeshift Yautja culture of sorts right here, that we influence and build on as we go. Man, we so need to get together and make a Predator film! I do have wierd continuity questions:

1. In Alien vs. Predator, the hunters were equipped with both normal and acid-proof weapons at the same time. Why didn't they just use all acid-proof weapons? The 'shuriken' disk, side blades, and combi-stick were acid proof, but their armor, razor nets, and blades weren't.

2. If a hunter is wearing a bio helmet, can a facehugger get past the helmet to implant, or is one of the purposes of the helmet to prevent this?

3. What is the maximum effective range of a shot from a plasma caster?

ChaosMasterX

Unblooded
As far as the dreadlocks go, I remember reading in one of the AVP novels that they have a coming of age type ritual were they must get the dreads braided. Its a long and painful process and if they show any signs of pain they must undo all the dreads and start over. Ill try to dig up the book that I got that from and write what it says since I'm almost positive it goes more in depth. One thing I suggest is to read the novels, they may be based off of comics you've read before but they go so much more in depth as far as the culture and technology of the Hunters.

Hellbender

Unblooded
Well, I have read the AVP novels by Perry, but I just don't buy into the hair thing. They are NOT human. Anyway, I am going for a bleached bone armor look for my costume, fake bones and skulls of course, and I was wondering if anyone else has done this before? The gaunts, shins, shoulders, and belt will all have some kind of skull, even the plasma caster will be covered by a long slender skull, minus the jaw, and the nose opening will be the barrel. The bio will be standard, but maybe covered with various small bones in patterns, or carved to look skull-like. And maybe the weapons could have bones for handles? Tell me what you think. :p

Shai tan

Hunter
I have never saw the need to overanalyze the Pred in any way. The mystique is in the mystery. The coolness is that it is alien and unknown to us. *shrugs*

Aquis Hydro

Blooded
Hellbender:
1:- To make the blades and armour acid-resistant, I read somewhere that they are chemically treated. Not sure why some blades are and others aren't.

2:- To implant a Predator wearing a bio-mask, a facehugger has to rip it off. This is easier said than done, unless the Pred is out-cold...

3:- Maximum range of a plasmacaster probably varies depending on the calibre and type of plasmacaster. And probably the intensity of energy fired.

There is some concept art for Predator: Concrete Jungle with bone-armour. Here it is:

ancientpredator:
Try asking Recoil1701 or Macguyver about working spears, they've built some. But if you have a method of your own,post it up in a thread. I'd certainly take a look.

Last edited by a moderator: