What's A Good Amount Of Clay?

AntCas56

Unblooded
Hi Everyone! My names Antonio and I am a huge fan of the site and how incredible the community is here. I had a question (possibly newbish lol :D ) about the amount of clay people here use on an average P1 or P2 sculpt. I'm going to attempt to make my very own sculpt for the first time ever ( and first time ever doing something like this  ) and I have noticed while looking on the site that there are times where people have had to stop mid-build because they had to wait on more clay to come in. I tried searching the site to see if this has been answered, but I didnt see anything unless I'm not searching my question correctly. I would just like to have enough clay at home so I can dive right in without having to worry about stopping because I dont have enough clay for my work. Thanks so much for the insight and help and I'm really looking forward to getting to know the community and posting pics of my work.

~Antonio~

ninjabiker

Blooded
Hi mate the sculpt i did i ran out of clay on and had to get more think i used between 10KG to 15KG oil based clay 
But you can use less than this by using different material on a mannequin head basically have a custom
mannequin head just for sculpting predator heads.

AntCas56

Unblooded
Ok thanks a bunch. Yeah I'm gonna be working off of a lifecast of a friend of mine so hopefully it all comes out well. :D

ninjabiker

Blooded
What you going to be casting in latex?  Cause i used that amount of clay and i think mine will be a little on the small side you need to sculpt  bigger to make up for the latex shrinkage if your going to use latex.

AntCas56

Unblooded
I'm not exacly sure what I'll be casting in. I want the mask to hold its shape well and have some weight to it. Have any suggestions? Lol

ninjabiker

Blooded
Well im doing mine in silicone then going to use memory foam for it to fill the inners out the memory foam shapes to what ever its
on Like head you get this stuff in nice pillows and mattresses but if you search about ppl tell you how much latex shrinks. 

UnitedHerps

Young Blood
i think 40lbs is a good start for hands, feet, or a mask.  all depends on what armature you have under which will determine how much clay you need to slap on.

Pitoon

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
for most of my mask sculpts i have used approx 32-36 lbs, this is over a plastic ebay mannequin head as a armature.

AntCas56

Unblooded
Thanks guys appreicate it. Looks like I'll be starting on my mold quicker then I thought. My wife gave me an early Vday gift since we are snowed in here in Massachusetts. She got me a full lifecasting kit (enough to make 2 lifecasts), along with 50lbs of WED clay and a brand new airbrush kit. She also got me new sculpting tools, paint, pretty much the works. I'm like a little kid right now. So hopefully soon I will start having some pics for everyone from this newb lol