When is it taking it too far?

kithunter

Elite Hunter
Yo hunters

surfing ebay for animal bones for my suit, this question came about from some of my co-workers and i wanted to bring it to the forum for discussion.

how far would or do you go for realism in your costume?....

here is what brought it about, the blades on my suit are deadly and i get looks from club owners and police, but most of the time they just blow it off or they know i'm not some crazy ass looney....ok maybe i am :) ,... but i would never hurt anyone with my blades.

Over past few years i've seen some pretty realistic stuff come out of the lair and from other prop forums and my 1st thought has always been, are we going for 100% realism or just going for the look?

some folks get hardcore about realism others might be restricted by budget or other factors.

perfect example: would you buy this if you could or a replica of it?
[URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/Human-Skull-Authentic-...1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/Human-Skull-Authentic-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/URL]

i know there is some room for intelligent discussion on the forum so lets keep it that way. just wanted to know what some of you thought about it

Andrew

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
Well the link don't work. I can see that it says human skull. I would buy the fake copy, do to I not a big fan of real human remains or any dead animals in my house.

kithunter

Elite Hunter
hmmm link works fine
agreed, some folks have issues, either morality, Religious or just plain being creeped out by it. but if you read the auction the skull was used as a prop for a production of Shakespeare's Hamlet.

but the question was really not about the skull bro, it was an example....the question was how far to take it or how far would you take it.

real blades, skulls, etc whatever the costume calls for

Ice

Hunter
Well to me I don't mind At all, Im going for the real deal. IMO I don't think it's taking it to far, useing the real stuff. But that's just me. Once I have a full suit im going to be buying animal skulls and some human skulls And add them to the suit. If you want to buy the real stuff then go for it. If 'so in so' dosen't like it then F&%kum. They got there view on things and so do you.

Hey you didn't kill the animal or the human. Well if you did then, I think that's taking it alittle to far.

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
Oh I get you, Well weight is an issue to me. Its cool to see working gaunts, blades and stuff, not a big fan of having all the hassles with all that stuff. I think making the suit as close as you can get it is great, but I'm just happy to have a suit that looks like a predator.

Sara

Hunter
I've had problems on The Hunted with some over-zealous (and most of the time, under aged) members who want to get everything "real" if they made a suit. Some even went so far as to alter dinner knives to create realistic wrist blades. And then I get those who want to make real camo...when the technology is in its tiny fledgling stage.

I find it stupid and ridiculous to use "real" objects on a suit designed to be nothing more than a representation of an idea. That is what art is all about. Art makes you see objects, lines, shapes and colors in a way that makes you perceive something, even though in the true reality, it's not there. Everything from a drawing, to a model, to a full made-to-be-worn suit always follows this principle.

If the people who created the Predator/AVP movies used foam and clay to make their suits, then why not everyone else? Why must they use something "real"? Whats the point when you can re-create the exact same thing thats cheaper, safer and more moral to have?

Now, if you want to talk skulls, thats a different story. If you use animal skulls, I don't see that as a big deal. Human skulls and bones, however, is a gray area. If the owner of said skull donated their body to science, then its best to not use the skull for costuming purposes, to respect the wishes of the dead. But if someone in their last will stated "I want my skull to be used as a prop for the next Predator movie" then by all means, go ahead! :)

As for having real blades/skulls/whatever for display, I see nothing wrong with that. But when you start to carry it around in public, then it becomes everyone's problem.

Skullsplitter

Elite Hunter
Collectionwise I'd go for as realistic as I can, but for costuming I'd go replica all the way, except for having chicken-bones for decoration etc...

drgnfyre4

Hunter
In many instances the phrase "to each his own comes to mind" but for the sake of arguement ,here are some of my thoughts. Having made/worn costumes for the last 12 plus years I find that the more lightwieght and uncomplicated your costume the more enjoyable the experience. Sometimes this means having items that "look" real but are not. Many people do not understand that a lot of what they see on screen is not actually "metal" or " bone" or what have you and become hung up on tryin to replicate what they percieve to be real items. I know for myself I tend to get pretty tired of hearing the same silly discussions about working lightsabers, cloaking technology, kevlar Stormtrooper and Batman armor. To me thats all childish mental masturbation that is usually voiced by people who don't actually have a costume and most likely never will. If I had a dollar for every guy I have heard who has been engineering his R2 D2 for the last 8 years and is just about done with the blueprints before he builds it , I would be rich. Gimmicks and gadgets are fine and all but I say get the costume done and wearable and if you feel the need to trick it out with hardcore goodies then do that AFTER you have a finished suit to wear or you end up missing the boat and falling into the "been there done that, whats the next hot costume?" category.
Like Andrew I have metal blades that I could install in my gauntlets...I ended up using resin because they are lightwieght and less likely to get me grief when I suit up in public. Same goes for Wolverine claws. I make these year round for customers and will only sell Resin ones. Why? Because 100% of the request I get for real metal ones come from people who frighten me on so many levels.These request are also usually paired with individuals who ask how do you make the claws pop out of your hands and go back in. I once had a friend who HAD to have a REAL Broomhandled Mauser for his Star Wars costume...I have a mold and more resin castings than I can break in any ten conventions. He wore his once, got hassled repeatedly about it being real and also had the displeasure of the wieght dragging his belt down and bruising his leg. He uses resin replicas now. Same goes for when I wear a lightsaber with a Jedi outfit. I have a literal forest of freakin metal lightsabers, but when I go to a convention I wear one of the resin copies in case it gets jostled or stolen, which happens a lot at conventions.

kithunter

Elite Hunter
all valid points, personally i would love to have my suits on display with 100% realism, minus the cloaking effects :) the work i've put into them along with others who have helped, have taken them to that point .

which brings a point that most of you have made...for display or for just show and tell in your collection.

I recall going to a prop party(remember those??..) and seeing a working fully functional Blade Runner PKD which fires real bullets, thinking to myself what in god's name would someone do with that?...the person was a hardcore collector and i can see that he wanted the ultimate prop and i gained a new respect for being that passionate about collecting.

either that or it was the ultimate mental masturbation as you put it mike.

inkmonster

Hunter
well im not going for a totaly screen accurate suit but i am trying to keep it real to the first predator film. i do have real animal skulls that are going on my new suit only because i couldnt find the fake ones i was looking for. and the few resin animal skull replicas i did find were way more than the real ones. im installing lights and hopefully a animatronic blade gauntlet to my new suit. but im looking to keep it as light as possible with the lower parts of the gauntlets being latex and the tops using as little as possible to get the effect accross. im using resin blades the metal ones are just to heavy even aluminum. andrew i thought you had a set of the bde blades in your new suit? there not metal if not guess i didnt see your new blades. my suit im doing for my satisfaction not to have someone say wow thats dead on to the film im not quite that anal about it. athough its allwasy nice to get compliments on the finished product.

kithunter

Elite Hunter
these old things?
gaunlets.jpg

this was my original set was resin but a trace was made of them and now dis....

gauntblade2.jpg

yeah they are the real deal, but i never set out to make them that.

i guess it's whatever your budget allows and how far your willing to take it based on your personal taste. I've always set out to make the best costume i can, researching and spending many hours and dollars for that matter on my passion. That is how the lair came about.
Do it right and don't half-ass it......IMHO

Ice

Hunter
gauntblade2.jpg

i guess it's whatever your budget allows and how far your willing to take it based on your personal taste. I've always set out to make the best costume i can, researching and spending many hours and dollars for that matter on my passion. That is how the lair came about.
Do it right and don't half-ass it......IMHO

:)

roundhammer

Hunter
For me, it just depends on the item/object.

Real animal bones are o.k. with me, but not human. Working gauntlet blades, but not real blades...don't want to hurt someone on accident.

I could go through the whole lits of real vs. replica, but it's all just based on opinion. In a nutshell, if I can get by with a good replica, I could care less if it's real.

Moore3160

Hunter
I like everything to look as real as possable. Real blades? Can't see well with that Bio on what if you turn and inpale the person you didn't see standing next to you?
I have to go replica on the bones.

kithunter

Elite Hunter
the same issue came up a few years back when there was a debate on using real pointer lasers vs LED's ..i always thought it was too dangerous to have real lasers in case someone walked in front of your line of sight and got zapped in the eye by it.

now they sold as kits on ebay.....

the blades thing is easier to control...i just stick a foam skull on them to make sure no one gets hurt..but even with that...overzealous people get too close sometimes and one chick got poked....not in the nice way either...i told her to back up a bit... i'm just more mindful of my surroundings now.

AM

Shai tan

Hunter
I like props that LOOK like their movie counterpart. Don`t need or care for real blades etc. Cannons that really shoot? hahahah Nada. But I like good detail recreation to the movie counterpart. Smoke and mirrors. My eye always catches detail stuff. If it looks shoddy/too quickly done or out of scale, that is a huge turn off for me. If it doesn`t do it for me, I will find a way to make it so it does do it for me. hehhhe

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
I agree with Garry. As long as it can fool the eye, it doesn't matter if its a real skull or a resin mold thats painted to look like bone.

stiltwalker

Unblooded
I could never use real blades on suit as im a stiltwalker and it only takes a split second of lack of cocentration and you could stab someone as for bone's skulls the old owner of the bones aint in no postion to complain lol .....its only mineral after all .......i dont worry about it

as a stilt walker i live by one bit of advice .....everybody around you is an idiot