WIP - Po Boy undermask

N

neonstorm7

I was in chat the other day, and Kit pressured me into posting about this. (j/k)

Well, it seems I've stretched my budget to the breakin point on this, so a nice latex undermask is out of the question (this time around.)

I got to the ol' drawing board and figured out a way to half-@$$ one that shouldn't look too bad at all. Here are a few pics. I'm working on painting it now, plus maybe adding raised 'outlets' for each of the dreads. I think if I get the top row looking good, the rest will be hidden enough to disguise my screw ups.

Predator014Small.jpg

Predator016Small.jpg

Predator015Small.jpg

Nice thing is, this gives the bio a tight fit that I can hardly shake off if I try! And it's pretty comfy and cool too.

Whaddaya think?

Ryan

M

Maverick118

Nice work mate. I did pretty much the same for a makeshift under mask. Though I added a top cover and a sealed neck, which meant that I could pull the undermask straight over my head and velcro'ed the helm to it. Meant I could take the helmet off as and when needed between shots and could take water on board. I'm impressed with your work to date mate keep it up and I'm sure it'll all be done for halloween.

N

neonstorm7

Thanks Mav, you're so full of encouragement!

I'm tossing around the velcro idea. As it is, it slips on and off no problem, but I could tighten the neck up and velcro them together...?

Ryan

M

Maverick118

Hey Ryan, I'm here to help mate. I can see where you're coming from. I added the neck to the lower part of my undermask and the neck seal (kindly donated at the shoot by my amigo TKPRED as it was a trooper neck seal) covered it nicely I'll post a couple of pics mate to let you have a look and see if you can adapt some of it to help you.

undermask.jpg

As you can see I added some big patches of velcro on the upper part where the helmet sits (I suggest you might want to back the foam you use for this with fabric, just use some spray adhesive for foam and lay some cheap material on it then stitch the velcro to the foam, the material on the back will stop it from tearing and pulling away from the foam) The neck is just a piece of foam glued to the under side of the black foam. It if just a little smaller than your head, but the foam stretches enough to pull on and off with only a bit of a struggle.

undermask2.jpg
, and there it is with a rough P2 type bio on and DIY dreads. The dread crowns were made from the same black foam and glued on, I made sure that the undermask fit was just a little smaller than the rim of the helm, this way the crowns are partially covered by the helmet rim. Plus it means the light foam is covered completely by the rim and is not visible. Hope this helps mate, and as I've said numerous times, if you need any advice just holler.

N

neonstorm7

Nice, I like it. Pretty creative! I'm thinking I may leave the neck open for cooling, but it depends how much the dreads cover.

I like the way you did the 'crowns' too! Hope you don't mind if I rip off your idea!

Ryan

M

Maverick118

Ryan if I minded mate I wouldn't post, I like sharing ideas with people and hopefully get inspired and maybe inspire someone else