Working gauntlet blades...how?

roundhammer

Hunter
I've been working on this for a few days now and I'm really at my wits end. I'm trying to make working gauntlet blades without using motors because I don't have the room for motors/servos/batteries.
I thought about using springs, but they are either too long and don't place enough tension on the blades to make them snap forward, or the spring is too short and gets stretched out of shape when I push the blades back.
I've tried using rubberbands, but they keep snapping.

I've explored what I think are all possible fixes for this, but to no avail. Is there something that I'm missing that might work? I thought about making it gravity driven, but that will only work when my arm is pointing towards the ground. I want these to spring out no matter where my arm is pointed.

Bovine13

Hunter
We are in the same boat. Still working on it myself. Thought about using a small portable umbrella. Havent tried it yet.

Take a peek at my last video post in my "new gauntlket top thread" I've got my blades popping out  in it. Uisng of all things elasticbands. Not my idea I might add that was down to the ingineous Predmaniac. I made a box from Styrene sheeting to house the mechanism than made tracks inside that the blades would run along. Once this was done I made a sled that would move back and forth inside these tracks and then once that was fitted I place L-shaped plasti card over it to hold the sled in place. If you notice the box is angled and is narrower at the front than the rear. this means that if i pull the sled all the way back I can remove it for any running repairs or lubrication to the runners the the sled runs on. I then mounted the elastic band to the front of the gauntlet and attatched it to the sled. Pull the sucker back and let go and the baldes slide out quite rapidly. More bands means a quicker response but also means you'll have to plan the construction of the sled and the box more thoroughly as there's a lot of force in them when the blades extend. Hope this helps out. The problem with your rubber bands snapping may be down to putting too much tension in them. If you look at my vid you can see that the band is not at full stretch and still pushes the blades forward with much vigour. The vid doesn't do the speed oif the moevement justice I was beaucoups surprised when I actually tried it out. The bands I use aren't the thin ones you get, they are about a centimeter in width, but you should bea ble to get similiar froma stationers.

In fact thinking of it I'll post the link here to save you trawling through the rest of the thread.

th_MOV00607.jpg

I use the old 10 foot rule, if it looks good ten feet away it'll look pretty good on screen, Thouhg since the advent of HiDef TV I'm finding I'm having to shaprpen my skills with prosthetics now. But it just goes to show you don't need a million bucks to make working gadgets for a costume. Just need to think out of the box or in fact use the box to make something new

roundhammer

Hunter
Maverick, I know what you mean. I thought about seeing if I could get by without making it really functional, but when I started looking at it, it's a very important part of the overall costume. And everything I've used to rig it to work has been found around the house....I'm actually surprised it works as well as it does.

Bovine, I can whip up a sketch...shouldn't take but a few minutes.

Well just to help out a bit more I knocked up a quick ten minute cg sketch of my mechanism. It's pretty basic but it works hopefully we'll be able to come up with some ideas on how to help roundhammer out with this, and anyone else who'd like a bash at it.

blademech.jpg

No they are just regular rubber bands, just a centimetre in width and about 5-6 in diameter. The real thin ones I don't think would be up to much as you said, they seem to snap. The only other solution I can think of if you use the thin ones is to use several joined together into a loop as thios would reduce the tension in them when you ping your blades out

I see, thats'a good design and I like the rigger idea very simple but effective. The only thing I can think of looking at your sketch is that if you're using a pice of thin metal for the angled 'L' shaped piece, it could be that it's putting a tad too much stress at one point on the band causing it to snap.

roundhammer

Hunter
The L shaped piece is plastic, but I do think you are right. At the end of the L piece, where the band has the most stress, I think it wears it down after just a few tries. I need to find a short, yet thick band like you use.

roundhammer

Hunter
Success!

I started thinking about what items are thicker than a rubberband, but made out of elastic and came up with those bands women use to hold their hair back. Asked the wife and she had a whole bag of them. Took one and tried it out and it works great! And with it being so thick, it shouldn't break anytime soon.

roundhammer

Hunter
I'll try and post pictures in the next day or so. I wish I had the ability to post video so people could see it, and the LED's on the other gauntlet, in action.